Capello is going for sure (1 Viewer)

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++

I'm not proposing we go from one extreme to the other. Replacing Blasi with someone like David Pizarro wouldn't make us as vulnerable as you seem to think it would. I'm not calling for Ronaldinho or Aimar, I want someone who would help Emerson with the defensive duties as well as distribute. Blasi and Tacchinardi are far too one dimensional. Someone like Edu or Maniche would make us a lot more dangerous in attack but we wouldn't sacrifice a great deal at the other end of the pitch, not with Emerson infront of an already solid back four.
Then you can hardly complain that Juve lacked creativity last season- whom should create it without tending to the defence?

It would be nice, yes, but Im sure Capello has it all in mind. No worries.

Juventinoo

Ertuğrul Oğlu Osman
Oct 20, 2004
Long live the Don.

Capello In A Nutshell
6/21/2005 11:53:00 PM
The day Fabio Capello came to Juventus, I read it on the old Soccerage site- I made a joke to my friends about it saying that our I.T. teacher joined Juventus- as he was the spitting image of him.
One season with a Scudetto later, who is laughing now?

In the 2003/2004 season, Juventus were third in the league and had their worst defensive record in over 40 years. Juventus were kicked out by Deportivo in the first phase of the Champions league knockouts after reaching the final the year previous. To put it simply, things were a shambles. Juventus were whipped back and forth, with embarrassing results including the famous 4-0 loss to As Roma at the Olimpico, both matches against Inter on which Juventus conceded 6 goals overall and lost both matches in the process, and then the match up with Milan which Juventus lost 3-1.

Someone had to take on the Job of breathing life back into the Old Lady- I could not think of anyone more fitting to the task, then Fabio Capello.

His rivals for the Job are hardly of his calibre- Deschamps recently played with Juventus and had a successful run with Monaco in the Champions League, in what can only be known as the ’anomaly season’ in which two massive underdogs reached the final. Whilst it was no doubt impressive, it is foolish to hire a coach based on one season’s performances. Prandelli is different. His experience and understanding with young players gave hope to the fans that they could perhaps see a more youthful Juventus, but Juventus has never been a team built with young players, which rendered the main strength of this coach useless, and his relegation was always a black mark on his CV, not to mention his general lack of trophies.

Capello eventually took the job, and has exceeded my expectations immensely for this season. I think he has done brilliantly, but some do not think so. So I will now dispell the Capello myths that people have been telling:

1) Capello was a traitor to As Roma.

I never understood this one; if anything he should be praised in Rome as he brought Rome one third of their overall sucess in Italy by adding a precious third to their trophy cabinet. Capello no doubt played a big hand in developing Cassano, and to some extent finding the perfect place for Totti to play in.

Capello has been slammed as a traitor because he left so suddenly. Are Roma fans aware his wage bills had not been paid for six months? Some fans might moan: Oh but he is so rich anyway- So? Can any of you honestly say YOU would stay with your company at work if you were not getting paid for six months? Football is essentially a buisness, and being a coach is a tough job. Roma were fully aware of the risk they ran by not paying Capello wage’s, so they have only themselves to blame for his departure. Infact, Roma fans should be thankful- they got a freebie for 6 months, how many clubs can say they got a coach of Capello’s class to coach a side for 6 months free even bringing them their historic 4-0 victory over much hated Juventus?

Capello is a professional. The contact from Juventus was sudden, (it must of been, one can categorically eliminate contact over those six months if you ask yourself the question: how could Capello know if he was suddenly going to get paid in those six months, thus blocking a move to any other club? He could not of).

So Capello moved clubs suddenly too. The Juventus board needed a striker to organise things for the new season and outline transfer objectives among other things, so the earlier a coach is found the better for the club. So Capello left the club, for his own selfish agenda- yes, but when the club has not been paying you for half a year, how charitable are you going to feel?

Myth Dispelled.

2) Capello plays defensive football

.. And people who say that are just plain wrong. Infact, Juventus have been the side this season in serie A which has scored the most goals- even more then so called attacking Inter- and yet at the same time, conceded the least- which highly resembles ’offensive Roma’ last season, which they did exactly that, but people claim that they were an offensive team. So explain to me: Why are Inter offensive? Is it because they have a poor backline and games with them tend to have higher score lines?

The Juventus Defence record is probably the factor unto which people decide Juventus are a defensive team- but how can one call a club who scores more then anyone else in the league defensive? If anything, they are the most Defensive and Offensive- making them a balanced team.

Myth Dispelled.

3) It was Capello’s fault we were knocked out to Liverpool

When Capello deployed a 4-4-2 against Liverpool on the first leg at Anfield, Juventus were 2-0 down with 20 minutes on the clock. Yes, that was a tactical error- he was using a formula that had been successful so far, and he obviously saw that needed change in the second leg. Cannavaro was fortunate enough to have a header spilled by the keeper, which gave Juventus a lifeline and making them need only one goal in the next leg.
Capello had 3 choices- deploy his standard 4-4-2 as in Anfield which had no positive results- play a 4-3-3 like against Madrid, but be subject to a counter attack much easier- or play a new experimental tactic against Liverpool.

Capello’s tactic was out there, but it was obvious the 4-4-2 was not working and a 4-4-3 would not do much better. During the course of the match, I remember 3 clear chances- Cannavaro’s header which hit the post, Zlatan’s miss from Zambrotta’s bouncing cross, and Zlatan’s earlier miss from a Thuram chip. The tactic nullified Liverpool’s counter attack, as I remember the only chances they had came from Zebina mistake. A goal in Turin against Juventus, that would have been curtains.

Can anyone blame Capello for looking for one goal yet still staying on the back pedal? If Cannavaro had jumped 2 inches more to the right, Juventus would of been at least in the Semis. I call this an unfortunate circumstance- as Capello set out for a 0-1- in which he got 50% right, and perhaps if one takes into consideration how close that header was, it is more like 50% and a matter of inches, but such is football.

Should Capello be blamed? No. He had the correct idea, but Liverpool defended well, and Juventus were unlucky with their chances.

Myth Dispelled

4) Capello hates Del Piero

Possibly one of the worst myths of them all. Sigmund Freud believed that pleasure is a consequence of the release of something bad- for example, the satisfaction gained after eating- losing the hunger. He also believed that the mind has to learn to adapt in order to gain certain things- for example a baby screaming for a lollipop will not get it, but child eventually learns a more difficult a way to get the lollipop than screaming, but a way that works.

The Del Piero - Capello case can be compared to that. Del Piero has had the for granted pleasure of first team football his whole life at the Delle Alpi- whenever he is on form or off, it would not matter as Lippi consistently played him in front of any other striker when possible. Capello came in and decided to change the rules, and started to bench Del Piero, almost every game. However, what people seem to forget is that when Del Piero played well he stayed on- thus when Del Piero now plays well, he stays on the pitch and avoids the dissatisfaction of not playing. Del Piero now must play well- like all the other forwards in Juventus- to earn himself a match without substitution.

Did it pay off? Did Del Piero learn to earn his playing time by playing well now? A straight yes would be the answer. A great performance versus Milan has been the fruit of Del Piero’s determination not to be substituted anymore- thus he avoids the dissatisfaction, and keeps his place on the pitch. He has earned his Lollipop of playing by improving his game, which could never have been acheived by means of keeping Del Piero on the pitch consistently.

Myth Dispelled.

Capello has finally found a brilliant Camorenesi, who used to be the frustration vent for the Juventini with several calls to be sold. Zlatan Ibrahimovic exceeded everyone’s expectations under Capello- Cannavaro found his vigour again under Capello, and Del Piero started playing well for the first time in a while under Capello.

So I say: Long live the Don.

Daniel Brown

Hambon

Lion of the Desert
Apr 22, 2005
Capello the Don .... Has built a team worth staying with ...why would he want to leave, Daniel Browns article explained it all ...he has no reason to leave and has all the reason to bask in the light of victory

Eaglesnake_1

Mar 28, 2004
Believe me, Capello will stay with us three seasons. Not more, not less
Just the time for the things to settle up. Then Elkann`s brothers will take over Juventus, and Capello and the directors (Giraudo, Moggi,) will resign to open room for Elkann`s choices.

Capello has already been very clear about this. He will stay for the duration of his contract, this is three years. Then, he will leave, as he wants to train a NT (by no means Italy, he said) to prove his skills in a world cup..
Probably, then, Didier will be mature enough as a coach....

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Eaglesnake_1 ] ++
Believe me, Capello will stay with us three seasons. Not more, not less
Just the time for the things to settle up. Then Elkann`s brothers will take over Juventus, and Capello and the directors (Giraudo, Moggi,) will resign to open room for Elkann`s choices.

Capello has already been very clear about this. He will stay for the duration of his contract, this is three years. Then, he will leave, as he wants to train a NT (by no means Italy, he said) to prove his skills in a world cup..
Probably, then, Didier will be mature enough as a coach....

I shudder to think.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
-no comments

-our 4-4-2 with 2DMs needs no further comments,
but its not his fault, neither a bad thing to play def football,
he is an Italian in an Italian team,
Cap dont have the players to play ofensive football anyway,
its clear in every juventus play that the defence is our high priority,
we worry much less if we concede a goal than we worry if we ever score,
the critics are based on the super defensive tactics used after we score 1goal,
we fall back and forget to attack
and we have poor means to create a serius attack,
thats why we have freat dif when we have to score against super solid defences

Cap isnt responsable for the good things only but for the bads too, be fair,
he didnt only failed to come up with a decent attacking system in the second match,
he did severe tactical mistakes in the first match too wich led as to concede 2goals we souldnt,
Liverpool outplayed us bad in the first game and they arent so much better than us,
the difference was in tactical level,
we explained the many tactical mistakes Cap did then.

4) Capello hates Del Piero.

Thats smth very obvius to hide,
i understand him, he lived with his "kids" Totti and Cassano
and he hated their bigest enemy DP,
on the other hand its very known he prefere's tall and strong forwards,smth DP isnt.

i thought Cap is so "profesional" he wouldnt let this, to be so obvius,
he did well on benching DP but many many times he overdone it,
it was much wiser some times to replace another more tired,slower etc etc players than DP
and many times we never created anything again after DP was subbed.

DP isnt exactly the player like Totti or Cassano who needs to be told who the boss is,DP rarely argues and complains when subbed,that was no real reason to be so harsh,
it would be better not use him at all some times.
And DP isnt the kind of players who work better with competition,
he works better with teamwork,
he never ever tried to play on his own,
he always helped our attackers(Treze,Pippo,DV)

i think Cap did wrong here, i know he isnt a psychologist, but he knows better,
he did what he did to DP just to finish him off,
but DP's love for our club,
the lack of accidentations,Treze accidantation and some luck,
helped DP to score some goals and save his year.
Cap wouldnt have used DP if he had another option,
he prefered Treze even when DP was the fittest.
I understand that its the best solution to use the younger players in our team when they are almost as good as the old stars, because someday soon(sooner than the young ones) the old ones will leave and will leave a big void to the team,
if u let the team play and evolv with the younger solutions, there wont be any adaptation period
and the team will last longer as it is,
i understand the idea and i agree with that, but Capello doesnt,
he always preferes the old stars instead,
the only exception on this, seems to be DP

Jan 7, 2004
guys did you hear this. Cappello joined juventus so that he could take revenge for his kids totti and cassano on their arch enemy, Alex Del Piero. man now that this guy mentioned it, it all makes sense. i mean why else would "the most [insert anything here] player of the seria a be benched"

Juventinoo

Ertuğrul Oğlu Osman
Oct 20, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Cronios ] ++
-no comments

-our 4-4-2 with 2DMs needs no further comments,
but its not his fault, neither a bad thing to play def football,
he is an Italian in an Italian team,
Cap dont have the players to play ofensive football anyway,
its clear in every juventus play that the defence is our high priority,
we worry much less if we concede a goal than we worry if we ever score,
the critics are based on the super defensive tactics used after we score 1goal,
we fall back and forget to attack
and we have poor means to create a serius attack,
thats why we have freat dif when we have to score against super solid defences

Cap isnt responsable for the good things only but for the bads too, be fair,
he didnt only failed to come up with a decent attacking system in the second match,
he did severe tactical mistakes in the first match too wich led as to concede 2goals we souldnt,
Liverpool outplayed us bad in the first game and they arent so much better than us,
the difference was in tactical level,
we explained the many tactical mistakes Cap did then.

4) Capello hates Del Piero.

Thats smth very obvius to hide,
i understand him, he lived with his "kids" Totti and Cassano
and he hated their bigest enemy DP,
on the other hand its very known he prefere's tall and strong forwards,smth DP isnt.

i thought Cap is so "profesional" he wouldnt let this, to be so obvius,
he did well on benching DP but many many times he overdone it,
it was much wiser some times to replace another more tired,slower etc etc players than DP
and many times we never created anything again after DP was subbed.

DP isnt exactly the player like Totti or Cassano who needs to be told who the boss is,DP rarely argues and complains when subbed,that was no real reason to be so harsh,
it would be better not use him at all some times.
And DP isnt the kind of players who work better with competition,
he works better with teamwork,
he never ever tried to play on his own,
he always helped our attackers(Treze,Pippo,DV)

i think Cap did wrong here, i know he isnt a psychologist, but he knows better,
he did what he did to DP just to finish him off,
but DP's love for our club,
the lack of accidentations,Treze accidantation and some luck,
helped DP to score some goals and save his year.
Cap wouldnt have used DP if he had another option,
he prefered Treze even when DP was the fittest.
I understand that its the best solution to use the younger players in our team when they are almost as good as the old stars, because someday soon(sooner than the young ones) the old ones will leave and will leave a big void to the team,
if u let the team play and evolv with the younger solutions, there wont be any adaptation period
and the team will last longer as it is,
i understand the idea and i agree with that, but Capello doesnt,
he always preferes the old stars instead,
the only exception on this, seems to be DP
Cool down guys am not the auther , but am completely with him

Regarding DP, the only way to help him is how the DON did with him, and let's be honest, DP isn't the old one .....DP is over we don't want to wait for all of the seson for him to be in the form......i love DP but every thing has a time and limite and that is applied to DP.......we need Cassano new blood to sub him and just let the Scene goes on and u well see....Forza Don

Hint: Don't count on the Childish things of cassano in Roma..the enviroment there isn't like at ours .....:fero:

Another point for u Capello Haters, look how Roma going bad when he leaved them .... club fighting for the scudetto last two years , it risked to be relegated......

Long Live Capello

Jun 22, 2005
Capello is a good manager, no doubt about it. He's won titles with 4 different clubs now, and he knows what he's doing. The problem (in my opinion) is his absolute lack of dedication. He's not winning for Juventus, he's winning for himself. I agree that sometimes Del Piero deserved to be benched, but I disagree with the assertation that he prefers tall, powerful forwards, as opposed to someone like DP. At Roma, "The Don" played the whole season with Cassano - Totti pairing at the front line, neither of whom are tall and powerful. I do believe that Capello does not like DP, but not so much that he will let it really bring the team down. I hope he gets us our 3rd star, then leaves, so we can bring in someone with heart and love, like Prandelli or Deschamps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)