Calciopoli or Morattopoli.. inter fake orgasm (18 Viewers)

dolph

Mar 30, 2006
It's incredibly naive to think that any high level sports performance program isn't using every single legal (and in some cases illegal) method available to increase performance. These athletic programs are fighting for results worth hundreds of millions of dollars. Olympic programs, professional sports teams, etc... Everything is explored, everything is used that can enhance performance, by every single team and athlete that can afford to do the research and use it. It will always be this way. If their are severe negative side-effects that very adversely effect athlete health, these drugs and supplements are banned. It's one of the conditions for adding something to the banned substance list.

And no anti-inflamms are not only for infections. They are also used and approved to be used for reducing inflammation due to muscular or ligament injury, and even to help reduce inflammation from muscular fatigue. Should they be used in high doses, every day? Probably not, as it both reduces their efficacy and the body's natural healing process and may have long term side effects that there currently isn't enough research done to know about with certainty. But who makes the decision to say anti-inflamms can only be used in this way or that? There is definitely a use for them in high-performance athletes, and

The point I was making is that it's entirely stupid to assume anything about that article was correct considering the writer doesn't have a clue as to what the drugs referenced actually are, and what possible benefits they provide. The writer is an idiot. Moving the goalposts, implying Juventus was the only doing it, while even making reference to another team using these drugs, etc. They also make the implication that such drugs are similar to Sharapova's drug, but this is obviously not the case, as they have not been banned by WADA, which means WADA does not see any of them as performance enhancing, nor do they see them as dangerous to athlete health.

Not to mention the fact, if Sharapova's drug was over-the-counter, considered legal, than there is absolutely nothing wrong her having used it prior to its ban. It doesn't matter whether she used it for its actual specific purpose or not. A large number of over-the-counter supplements not banned by WADA are not used in the way they were originally. Where do you draw the line of what supplement/drug is ethical to use, and how one can go about using it? Should WADA ban everything that is remotely performance enhancing? Most gym supplements would be banned, many vitamins would be banned... But these things can also improve health. Wintertime supplementation with Vitamin D is a huge performance enhancer for those who live in northern climates. Should it be banned? Creatine has some evidence supporting it as performance enhancing, at least during the training season... it can speed up post-workout recovery and allow you to work out more frequently and for longer periods of time. Should it be banned for this? The heart drug Neoton from the article was just an early version of creatine phosphate, an over-the-counter supplement used by a huge number of athletes and gym-goers round the world. Should we ban it and consider it unethical, because sport performance is not the only nor the original use?

Saying that you aren't using something for its intended purpose so you're being unethical is both naive and stupid. Many substances provide many benefits and have many purposes. If they are not banned, using them for any of their beneficial effects is perfectly fine in my book. Have all of them had enough studies done to determine long term consequence of their use... certainly not. But that's an entirely different argument, and what that takes on the whole supplement/pharma industry and whether testing is stringent enough before drugs get put into production or sold over the counter... Especially the supplement industry for which the FDA and other organizations are absurdly lax. But high performance sport is worth billions and these programs are filled experts in supplementation, nutrition, exercise physiology, and so on. Supplement regimes are created to maximize performance. And that is exactly what they do. At what cost, who knows? But suggesting any of this was exclusive to Juventus in the mid-90s, or isn't going on to this very day amongst all major sporting programs, is disingenuous and retarded.
I think you are being overly cynical in your post. Of course there are grey areas that some sports team and athletes are more willing to explore than others. You are seriously telling me that every sports team or athlete will use any means possible to enhance performance as long as it is legal, ignoring possible long term effects of overusing drugs or mixing drugs which combinations has not been tested. I think that most or at least some teams will have some kind of ethical rules and guidelines that their employees are expected to obey, to prevent long term damage to players or the clubs image.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I think you are being overly cynical in your post. Of course there are grey areas that some sports team and athletes are more willing to explore than others. You are seriously telling me that every sports team or athlete will use any means possible to enhance performance as long as it is legal, ignoring possible long term effects of overusing drugs or mixing drugs which combinations has not been tested. I think that most or at least some teams will have some kind of ethical rules and guidelines that their employees are expected to obey, to prevent long term damage to players or the clubs image.
I can agree with saying I am cynical. I've been around high performance Olympic sports programs my entire life. My uncle coached the national freestyle wrestling team here in Canada for 12 years. He was high performance director for Snowboard Canada leading into the 2010 Winter Olympics. Supplementation is massive in high performance sport. Not to mention illegal PEDs are far more prevalent than the average person believes in Olympic sports and even more so in professional sports due to money involved.

The problem is the supplement industry is absurdly under regulated. Testing is nowhere near as stringent as with pharmaceuticals, so it's a basically anything goes kind of industry with a lot of drugs and supplements having shown performance benefits in studies that don't look at long-term side effects at all. These supplements aren't going to undergo 10-20 year plus trails to determine long term health consequences. And athletes are going to take them because the difference between players and athletes who make it and those who don't is very very slim and the amount of money involved makes taking that risk very very worthwhile. It makes it so worthwhile that even with slightly more stringent drug testing for banned substances athletes are still willing to run that risk, both in terms of getting caught and banned and in terms of long term consequences for health. Hence the reason things like Balco happened and Cycling and operacion puerta. If you think this isn't happening in all major sports on all successful teams, I just see that as very naive. If the incentive for athletes to use these things is huge, the incentive for teams and programs involved is far greater due to the much larger amount of money and prestige involved. As well the vast difference between heavily tested Olympic sports and professional sports like football, basketball, baseball, hockey, American football, with very poor testing.

This is the Telegraph so take it with a grain of salt, but in essence it is correct. Blood doping and PED use, both legal and banned is pernicious and integral to high performance sport. There's a reason records are still broken and athletes keep improving upon results by known PED users of the recent past.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...g-scandal-as-Operation-Puerto-resurfaces.html

dolph

Mar 30, 2006
I can agree with saying I am cynical. I've been around high performance Olympic sports programs my entire life. My uncle coached the national freestyle wrestling team here in Canada for 12 years. He was high performance director for Snowboard Canada leading into the 2010 Winter Olympics. Supplementation is massive in high performance sport. Not to mention illegal PEDs are far more prevalent than the average person believes in Olympic sports and even more so in professional sports due to money involved.

The problem is the supplement industry is absurdly under regulated. Testing is nowhere near as stringent as with pharmaceuticals, so it's a basically anything goes kind of industry with a lot of drugs and supplements having shown performance benefits in studies that don't look at long-term side effects at all. These supplements aren't going to undergo 10-20 year plus trails to determine long term health consequences. And athletes are going to take them because the difference between players and athletes who make it and those who don't is very very slim and the amount of money involved makes taking that risk very very worthwhile. It makes it so worthwhile that even with slightly more stringent drug testing for banned substances athletes are still willing to run that risk, both in terms of getting caught and banned and in terms of long term consequences for health. Hence the reason things like Balco happened and Cycling and operacion puerta. If you think this isn't happening in all major sports on all successful teams, I just see that as very naive. If the incentive for athletes to use these things is huge, the incentive for teams and programs involved is far greater due to the much larger amount of money and prestige involved. As well the vast difference between heavily tested Olympic sports and professional sports like football, basketball, baseball, hockey, American football, with very poor testing.

This is the Telegraph so take it with a grain of salt, but in essence it is correct. Blood doping and PED use, both legal and banned is pernicious and integral to high performance sport. There's a reason records are still broken and athletes keep improving upon results by known PED users of the recent past.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...g-scandal-as-Operation-Puerto-resurfaces.html
I have no doubt that these tings are going on, especially in endurance sports. I think the problem is there in football as well, but not on the same scale as in for example cycling or athletics, because the benefits of using performance enhancing supplements or drugs in a team sport, where tactics and technic has a greater impact than enhancing the physical performance by 0,5 % or 1 %, is not that significant on teams performance. But then again it could just be me being naive. I have been surprised before.

No matter how common the use are it is still my personal opinion, that sublements or drugs should not be used unless it is tested sufficiently, even though it might be legal to take. I dont have an opinion on where exactly the boundaries should be because I dont have enough knowledge of the subject to have an informed opinion, but I think it is a problem if the attitude is that as long as drugs are legal, there is no problems using them no matter what the consequences might be in the future.

About the use of medicine in Juve between 94-98, I think that the statement, that the club had enough medicine to supply a small hospital, is worrying to say the least, and it could be a sign, that players were filled with different kinds of performance enhancing drugs (legal), without the club sufficiently knowing the long term effects of experimenting with different drugs and combination of drugs.

- - - Updated - - -

What was Zach's say in all of this?

It could be quite interesting to hear the professional powerlifter opinion on the subject.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
But in the mid-90s it wasn't just Juventus, even the article talks about a Parma player using Neoton. It was all big clubs. If your club had the money they were involved in it. Same deal with all sports. It really doesn't matter if it's a team sport or not. Physical fitness advantages are huge. Because being technically a genius is fantastic, but being a technical genius who is also a physical God is that much better.

I would say 99.9% that both Messi and Ronaldo are taking huge supplement and drug regimes to enhance performance and I'd also bet they're both taking banned PEDs. The same with pretty much every player at every big money club in the sport. The benefits are just too big, to not take the risk.

I agree with you 100% that better testing should be done, but the deregulation of the supplement industry has made that very unlikely, as does the fact that there is no standard from one country to the next. FDA hasn't approved, go somewhere else to get it if you're American.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
But in the mid-90s it wasn't just Juventus, even the article talks about a Parma player using Neoton. It was all big clubs. If your club had the money they were involved in it. Same deal with all sports. It really doesn't matter if it's a team sport or not. Physical fitness advantages are huge. Because being technically a genius is fantastic, but being a technical genius who is also a physical God is that much better.

I would say 99.9% that both Messi and Ronaldo are taking huge supplement and drug regimes to enhance performance and I'd also bet they're both taking banned PEDs. The same with pretty much every player at every big money club in the sport. The benefits are just too big, to not take the risk.

I agree with you 100% that better testing should be done, but the deregulation of the supplement industry has made that very unlikely, as does the fact that there is no standard from one country to the next. FDA hasn't approved, go somewhere else to get it if you're American.
Hmmm.. Tbh I think it's very doubtful either of them is. They have physiques that are achievable through hard work, do not run significantly more than others anyway and are probably the two most drug tested athletes in the world. Not to mention the tragedy that would occur if either of them got caught.

Apart from recovery I also think football is a sport where peds might not have a clearcut effect on a player's game. It would be tough to measure that's for sure.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Hmmm.. Tbh I think it's very doubtful either of them is. They have physiques that are achievable through hard work, do not run significantly more than others anyway and are probably the two most drug tested athletes in the world. Not to mention the tragedy that would occur if either of them got caught.

Apart from recovery I also think football is a sport where peds might not have a clearcut effect on a player's game. It would be tough to measure that's for sure.
They have a significant impact in every sport. Even Amphetamine like drugs like adderall would have huge benefits for a futbol player. As would any endurance drug like EPO. Having more energy late in games would be huge.

And it's pretty much undeniable that they'd be on a huge number of legal supplements.

As well as things like Operacion Puerto having significant links to both Barca and Real Madrid and the ability of both C Ronaldo and Messi to seemingly play every game in every competition without ever looking like built-up muscular fatigue is affecting them. This is evidence of blood doping.

And there's no way they're even anywhere near the most tested athletes on the planet. Futbol is one of the least tested and under-regulated sports out there as far as doping goes. FIFA was the last of the Olympic sports to agree to anti-doping. UEFA still does very few tests, players are rarely tested more than once or twice a year.

As far as tragedy goes, that didn't stop Lance Armstrong, or Roger Clemens, or Barry Bonds, or Carl Lewis, or Ben Johnson, or Marion Jones... Not to mention countless others who haven't had as much success with it.

All these people used drugs to try to go from great to the best of all time. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if many footballers were attempting the same.

And looking at physique has nothing to do with PEDs in performance sport. This isn't bodybuilding. EPO and blood doping aren't taken for physique

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
Just look at the NBA and their ridiculous testing system and bans:

"NEW YORK — The NBA and the National Basketball Players Association announced today that blood testing for Human Growth Hormone (HGH) will commence under the league's anti-drug program, effective with the 2015-16 NBA season.
As part of the collective bargaining negotiations in 2011, the NBA and the Players Association agreed to a process for determining how HGH blood testing would be implemented in the NBA. With that process now completed, beginning with the start of 2015 NBA training camps, all NBA players will be subject to three random, unannounced HGH tests annually (two in-season, one off-season), and players will also be subject to reasonable cause testing for HGH.
If a player tests positive for HGH, he will be suspended 20 games for his first violation and 45 games for his second violation, and he will be dismissed and disqualified from the NBA for his third violation."

http://www.nba.com/2015/news/04/16/nba-and-nbpa-to-introduce-hgh-blood-testing/

Even if you fail twice at the doping test you will miss only a half season (a little bit more).

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
They have a significant impact in every sport. Even Amphetamine like drugs like adderall would have huge benefits for a futbol player. As would any endurance drug like EPO. Having more energy late in games would be huge.

And it's pretty much undeniable that they'd be on a huge number of legal supplements.

As well as things like Operacion Puerto having significant links to both Barca and Real Madrid and the ability of both C Ronaldo and Messi to seemingly play every game in every competition without ever looking like built-up muscular fatigue is affecting them. This is evidence of blood doping.

And there's no way they're even anywhere near the most tested athletes on the planet. Futbol is one of the least tested and under-regulated sports out there as far as doping goes. FIFA was the last of the Olympic sports to agree to anti-doping. UEFA still does very few tests, players are rarely tested more than once or twice a year.

As far as tragedy goes, that didn't stop Lance Armstrong, or Roger Clemens, or Barry Bonds, or Carl Lewis, or Ben Johnson, or Marion Jones... Not to mention countless others who haven't had as much success with it.

All these people used drugs to try to go from great to the best of all time. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if many footballers were attempting the same.

And looking at physique has nothing to do with PEDs in performance sport. This isn't bodybuilding. EPO and blood doping aren't taken for physique
Amphetamines would benefit them, but they'd also get caught.

I mean physique as in: the amount of muscle mass they have and their physical performance. Ronaldo is fast, but his sprinting is normal. They both don't run excessively. Neither have body fat percentages that are not achievable through hard work.

There's also no way Ronaldo is tested once or twice a year. Players in Belgium are routinely tested, even those playing in the 2nd and sometimes even 3d division. I personally have a friend who failed a drug test when he was playing 1st division futsal. Also, remember Ronaldo got angry last year because of the repeated testing: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/cristiano-ronaldo-gets-angry-doping-6680391

Armstrong, Lewis or Marion Jones don't even compare to Messi or Ronaldo. They are most likely better athletes and their achievements were tremendous. But in terms of fame they don't come close. Messi and Ronaldo are as well known as Obama. Almost everyone on this Earth knows who they are.

Also remember that these guys don't really have an off season. In other sports it is sometimes possible to tinker with PEDs in training and get off them in time for competition. That is not a possibility with football.

If they cheat, it would almost have to be genetic doping imo.

Last but not least, the presumption of innocence would be nice, dude.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
@Seven, what is genetic doping? really curious, is it something they do to little kids who think they would become something special or adults? And what are effects?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
@Seven, what is genetic doping? really curious, is it something they do to little kids who think they would become something special or adults? And what are effects?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_doping#Detection_of_gene_doping

"Gene doping is defined by the World Anti-Doping Agency as "the non-therapeutic use of cells, genes, genetic elements, or of the modulation of gene expression, having the capacity to improve athletic performance""

I'm not sure we are already capable of gene doping anyway. Sure we have used gene therapies with some degree of success, but I don't think we're that able yet.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Interesting ethical dilema about free access to all athletes for gene therapy.
We appear to be evolving towards a future where human bodies are 'updated' or 'improved'. Obviously one should support anti-aging therapies and all sorts of stuff aimed at making the human body more resilient. But let's say we actually reach a stage where we manage to improve people genetically. That would make for a level playing field. Unfortunately, despite the popularity of the phrase, a level playing field is not interesting in sports. Some people just are faster than others. Others might be stronger. It's the differences that make sport great to watch. If everyone is a superior athlete that might not be true anymore.

To be clear I'm not saying I'm against any of this. I applaud every effort to wipe out human suffering. But it would destroy professional sports imo.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
I agree about sport being interesting anymore if everyone is a clone. But it would be very weird watching such a sport, imagine football match where everybody is equal, and everybody is as good they can be...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)