Burqa (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
That's all it comes down to: personal choice & personal freedom.

Question is: where do you draw the line, about what is or isn't appropriate (in public)?
exactly! and also the motives behind these measures, it's obviously all political with no regard to the greater good or the cause for abused women so as noble as your intentions might be you can play into the hands of demagogues. I was never harmed by a woman in burqa and have yet to hear of any significant event where the burqa harmed others, as for it being a tool to control and abuse, with or without burqa women will be abused. so the argument is 2 fold, security and woman abuse, the first one is of course ridiculous and the second is a sham because it transcends burqa or any other vestimentary choice, you dont cure a disease by addressing what may or may not be a symptom.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Apr 15, 2006
exactly! and also the motives behind these measures, it's obviously all political with no regard to the greater good or the cause for abused women so as noble as your intentions might be you can play into the hands of demagogues. I was never harmed by a woman in burqa and have yet to hear of any significant event where the burqa harmed others, as for it being a tool to control and abuse, with or without burqa women will be abused. so the argument is 2 fold, security and woman abuse, the first one is of course ridiculous and the second is a sham because it transcends burqa or any other vestimentary choice, you dont cure a disease by addressing what may or may not be a symptom.
But reducing one of the causes for the disease, you have a better chance at reducing the numbers affected by it. It's quite obvious that banning the burqa will not end the abuse completely. You'd most likely need to ban men from ever hanging out with a woman to do that. But at least it will help those who have been abused or feel abused due to the burqa.

Regarding your 2-fold point, I think there will almost always be opposition to any rule that a nation enforces. Especially if it involves rules that govern people actually living in it. Opinions will always be divided. The rule will always favour one side and not the other. I think it's inevitable. All I can say is, if a vote was taken from women, and if the majority voted for the rule, then so be it.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
But reducing one of the causes for the disease, you have a better chance at reducing the numbers affected by it. It's quite obvious that banning the burqa will not end the abuse completely. You'd most likely need to ban men from ever hanging out with a woman to do that. But at least it will help those who have been abused or feel abused due to the burqa.

Regarding your 2-fold point, I think there will almost always be opposition to any rule that a nation enforces. Especially if it involves rules that govern people actually living in it. Opinions will always be divided. The rule will always favour one side and not the other. I think it's inevitable. All I can say is, if a vote was taken from women, and if the majority voted for the rule, then so be it.
most of women abuse is actually in the form of forced sex or rape, it would make more sense to ban sex to curb the abuse than something as trivial as clothing. Lets see how that one flies. Matters of personal freedoms and human rights can never be left to suffrage, think rights of minorities. It's a legal issue and should be treated as so.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
What about naturists?
That was (part of) my point. Where do you draw the line? I am all for personal freedom/choice, but I sincerely don't know the answer to that question.

Should we be okay with people walking around naked? Should we be okay with people walking around wearing a burqa? Should we be okay with people walking around in Mickey Mouse costumes with a dildo strapped on their forehead? Should we be okay with...

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
That was (part of) my point. Where do you draw the line? I am all for personal freedom/choice, but I sincerely don't know the answer to that question.

Should we be okay with people walking around naked? Should we be okay with people walking around wearing a burqa? Should we be okay with people walking around in Mickey Mouse costumes with a dildo strapped on their forehead? Should we be okay with...
Oh yeah baby, now I know how I'm coming dressed at my wedding.

Apr 15, 2006

:lol:

mcrae

Jun 3, 2004
i mean,there was this story of the british teacher who got jailed in Sudan for naming a teddy bear Mohhamed.Many leftists/pro islamists were like"oh ,their country their rules,she should've known better".But this argument never applies for western countries it seems.Here we got to think about human rights,religious peoples rights and crap like that.As if it some kind of human rights violation not to walk around in a moving isolation cell

It's crazy,it's a non story,a country decides its citizens have to show their faces while in public.Good for them,it's their own fvcking right whoever doesn't like it can move to the caves of Afhanistan or Saudi Arabia to enjoy their precious religious freedom.

Apr 15, 2006
And when you die, Allah will not punish the Muslims who don't wear the burqa. Instead He'll unleash his fury on those who passed the law banning the burqa. I think you guys will agree that it's the Frenchie's fault and Allah will be reasonable and considerate with all Muslims in France.

EDIT: Actually, who here thinks that a few extremists will blow up a few cars in France now against this law?

OP
Azzurri7

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
  • Thread Starter #335
    i mean,there was this story of the british teacher who got jailed in Sudan for naming a teddy bear Mohhamed.Many leftists/pro islamists were like"oh ,their country their rules,she should've known better".But this argument never applies for western countries it seems.Here we got to think about human rights,religious peoples rights and crap like that.As if it some kind of human rights violation not to walk around in a moving isolation cell

It's crazy,it's a non story,a country decides its citizens have to show their faces while in public.Good for them,it's their own fvcking right whoever doesn't like it can move to the caves of Afhanistan or Saudi Arabia to enjoy their precious religious freedom.
    You can make your point without the need to offend anyone. You're making some good points we can all argue discuss or agree with but if you continue with this style I'm going to have to warn you or even ban you if you insult members around here.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    Just to be clear here, the full face covering is actually what has been banned. Not purdah/hijab.

There's reportedly only about 1000 women in France that wear the burqa. I personally don't agree with the burqa but a gov. banning it sets a dangerous precedent and anyone who loves and supports democracy ought to be ashamed for celebrating this.

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
    I'm going to start a new religion where everyone is communist by birth and everyone is required to wear a moo-moo and showercap

GordoDeCentral

Diez
    Apr 14, 2005
    What about naturists?
    what about no shirt no service, nudity is unsanitary

but you dont need to make that interpretation as it is a question of law and that may differ from one country to another, the irony of it is france laïcité laws are taking to an extreme similar to that of a theocratic state, telling kids what they can and cannot wear at school such as the headscarf/hijab. These political machinations in the spirit of revival of french identity and dealing with the 'immigrant problem' are nothing but that, machinations. the former is nationalist mumbo jumbo(control the dumb) and the latter is only exacerbated, not dealt with.. I d feel disgusting if i were french, but then again the french do on a daily basis.

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
    what about no shirt no service, nudity is unsanitary

but you dont need to make that interpretation as it is a question of law and that may differ from one country to another, the irony of it is france laïcité laws are taking to an extreme similar to that of a theocratic state, telling kids what they can and cannot wear at school such as the headscarf/hijab. These political machinations in the spirit of revival of french identity and dealing with the 'immigrant problem' are nothing but that, machinations. the former is nationalist mumbo jumbo(control the dumb) and the latter is only exacerbated, not dealt with.. I d feel disgusting if i were french, but then again the french do on a daily basis.
    I can sense the overtones

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)