Buffon to City, what is your opinion? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
And since non of us here are aware of our financial situation I don't think we can tell whether we are able to buy this player without selling someone like Buffon or not. I think if we paid over 20m for Tiago, we can afford paying more when needed.

I don't think Giovinco is the answer to our midfield, but I know we lack creativity, correct me if i'm wrong. That said another creative player in the middle will pretty much solve our problems since the problem is about creativity according to everyone. This way we will have Del Piero, Giovinco and another creative player in the middle.

I hope you're not serious about Inter winning serie a 3x. I'll pretend I didn't even read it.

What I meant though is that the amount Inter are spending for players, take out what has happened after Calciopoli, they've never achieved anything. And as far as I know Chelsea spent with Mourinho's last year much more than what they've spent in Mourinho's first two years, yet they ended up without a trophy.
As for Real Madrid, well can't comment much about La liga, though in CL it proves something else.

Anyway, thats not my topic nor my concern about Chelsea,Inter etc... All what I'm saying is that money is simply not the answer, and we're not one of the richest clubs nor the poorest ones.... and selling Buffon would be the worst scenario our board could make.
Okay whether you like it or not the record books say that Inter won serieA 3 times in a row, the prestige behind it is not my immediate concern and left to another pointless debate and they have achieved that by buying players.

Chelsea in Mourinho's last season only spent money on Malouda and then in January, Anelka, nothing like they spent in his first 2 seasons when the likes of Ferreira, Drogba, Robben, Cech, Carvalho, Essien etc. His 3rd season if that what is when you are refering to they got Sheva and Mikel as their big money signings still not as much as their 1st 2 seasons.

Now to counter that United went out and bought some very good players as well and spent money as they won the league so it is not as if it was 1 poor club that won the league.

Arsenal have lagged behind allowing Liverpool to overtake them because Wenger has refused to spend money.

When I was talking about our midfield what do you think I was talking about? Buying another defensive midfielder? I was talking about creativity and off the ball movement that DP apart we do not even have.

Are you sure Tiago cost that much as that would be madness if we actually spent that kind of amount on him.

Anyways like I said with a more competent board, I would advocate the sale of Buffon as anyone dumb enough to shell out that kind of money on a goalkeeper deserves to be conned.

Buffon is a great goalkeeper, 1 of the best ever but he still at the end of the day, a goalkeeper so I don't see what the big deal is.

I can understand a defender with huge potential or especially a creative youngster with huge potential, but a goalkeeper, please!

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
Selling Buffon would have rather negative knockon effects for the club imo,he is a huge symbol of success & a inspirational player.As Martin said the current Juve board is completely imcompetent & what kind of signal would selling Buffon send?When a star player considers joining a team,various things come into consideration.Are they an established club,will they challenge for honours,what kind of players are on the team & are they financially secure?

Juventus is not a midtable selling club & if there is to be room for growth & improvement,selling is not the answer.

Zaim

Dec 1, 2007
When we sold Zidane, we bought Nedved, Thuram and Buffon. All three were/are fundamental players for Juve. But I dont see Secco being capable of doing that kind of business.

In all fairness Buffon as a goalkeeper is replaceable, but you cant replace what Buffon stands for and what he means for the club.

So a big no to selling him.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
When I was talking about our midfield what do you think I was talking about? Buying another defensive midfielder? I was talking about creativity and off the ball movement that DP apart we do not even have.

Are you sure Tiago cost that much as that would be madness if we actually spent that kind of amount on him.

Anyways like I said with a more competent board, I would advocate the sale of Buffon as anyone dumb enough to shell out that kind of money on a goalkeeper deserves to be conned.

Buffon is a great goalkeeper, 1 of the best ever but he still at the end of the day, a goalkeeper so I don't see what the big deal is.

I can understand a defender with huge potential or especially a creative youngster with huge potential, but a goalkeeper, please!
Thats the problem here. You see Buffon as a goalkeeper at the end of the day which for me is not the same case. I see Buffon more than a goalkeeper, his influence is very important more like Del Piero's influence inside the dressing room and on the pitch.

Few years ago under Capello mainly, some were considering selling Del Piero when Sir Alex Ferguson,Wenger,Ancelotti,Benitez all were trying to get his services.... the board couldn't do it and i don't think because Moggi or the likes of Cobolli can't sleep at night thinking of Ale, but because icons/legends can't be sold. and because there was no way the fans would have accepted this.

Same goes with Buffon, their influence on the pitch/fans/dressing room goes behind figures. Serie B proved and gave us a clear crystal picture.

It's like we have two roads to pick....

1) You sell Buffon for the big amount, and sell the likes also of Trezeguet, Camoranesi when the good offers come the way.... buy new replacements for these kind of players.

2) You keep Buffon and the likes of him, you sell other players that didn't make their marks nor performed and you find better replacements (not necessarily with big amount of cash).

I can assure you that if you go with the first one, and we will never achieve one single trophy. Why? simple, because in Juventus you never win trophies with new blood making revolution transfers, you win trophies with veterans and with some respected players that have been serving the club for some-time now.

I'm sorry but this is how I saw Juventus in the last 14 years of watching them.

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
In all honesty Ranieri isnt reaching the full potential of this squad Rab & there's a whole lot more that could be achieved with a new manager.If anything man city should buy Ranieri.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
In all honesty Ranieri isnt reaching the full potential of this squad Rab & there's a whole lot more that could be achieved with a new manager.If anything man city should buy Ranieri.
I wouldn't mind that. But to me, Buffon, Trezeguet, Camoranesi, Del Piero, Nedved are untouchable.... And above the management of this club.

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
he hasn't the full squad either though
Thats between Ranieri & Secco.Surely the coach would be consulted when transfers are made.Everybody knows that Juventus are in dire need for an heir to nedved,some creative midfielders & adequate defensive backup.Poulsen was the best they could do.So saying that he doesnt have a full squad is not a valid point imo.

I wouldn't mind that. But to me, Buffon, Trezeguet, Camoranesi, Del Piero, Nedved are untouchable.... And above the management of this club.
OBVIOUS!:D

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
Thats between Ranieri & Secco.Surely the coach would be consulted when transfers are made.Everybody knows that Juventus are in dire need for an heir to nedved,some creative midfielders & adequate defensive backup.Poulsen was the best they could do.So saying that he doesnt have a full squad is not a valid point imo.

OBVIOUS!:D
no I mean 'cos of the various injuries to important players

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
I think if our board opened up the doors for buffon to leave as an option, I honestly think the major shareholders in this club that have millions in the club would not stand for it. I would expect a huge backlash not only from them but a whole stadium full of pissed off fans. if there is one thing that our board should have learned by now is don't fuck with out best players otherwise the fans will be heard. Selling buffon would be like the chicago bulls selling jordan in his prime to by other "potentially" great players. No one could deny jordans never ending influence in that organisation just like buffons in ours....as azzurri7 said why sell legends for potentials? Legends have already proven themselves, potentials haven't. Sell those who will not make the same mark as buffon, nedved or DP and buy others who might be able too but do not sell our clubs icons. I don't see Pool selling gerrard or roma selling totti...I hate clubs who think they can buy success. I admire wenger even though he hasn't won as much but at least he has the balls to stick to a fucking gameplan instead of spending millions everyyear for the next premadonna...

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
Dears,
Buffon is one of the best keepers ever! And he means alot for juve. Even when we had to play in Serie B, he didn't left juve! And we are really thankful for that! right?

But, i think letting Gigi to go to City for that amount of money is not a bad idea! Gigi is irreplaceable. On the other hand, we can buy some good players for that money and we can make our team stronger. So, i think, rationally, that it is not a bad idea to sell Gigi.
In short NO...

Cuti

The Real MC
Jul 30, 2006
Buffon: No Man City bid exists
Saturday 29 November, 2008
Gianluigi Buffon gives updates on his fitness, Manchester City’s £65m offer, Calciopoli and the Scudetto race.

The Juventus goalkeeper has been sidelined for six weeks after a recurring thigh strain, but resumed training in recent days.

“I tried the first little run and looked like an old man. I will be back for the new year,” he smiled on La 7 television last night.

The interview was wide-ranging and touched on a number of subjects, such as the reported £65m offer to join Manchester City.

“Nobody has offered me anything and I didn’t even take the issue into consideration,” assured the 2006 World Cup winner.

Buffon was asked what his biggest mistake was in his long career and he looked back at an incident that marred his Parma days.

“I put on a shirt to charge up the players with written on it: 'Boia chi molla’ (death to those who give up). I didn’t know it was a Fascist motto from the war, though.

“I made other mistakes, but am most ashamed of 'buying’ a diploma, because that showed a lack of respect to those who studied hard for their qualifications.”

However, Buffon did not count the Calciopoli years as among his regrets despite seeing two Scudetti stripped and the club demoted to Serie B.

“I think Luciano Moggi had some things to feel guilty about, but so did quite a few people in different clubs.

“I got the feeling they wanted to damage Juve in particular, then tried the same trick with me and Fabio Cannavaro, too.”

The notoriously jocular goalkeeper was less serious when asked about his predictions for this season, as he burst out laughing when declaring the Scudetto and Champions League would be won by Inter.

:analcanon: Close it

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
the rate manninger is playing i wouldnt even sell him for 65 mill let alone buffon. piss of man sh*tty and go treat urself to casillas instead, hes spose to be the worlds best, so go with the english flow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)