Buffon: Shame on you! (1 Viewer)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Buffon: Shame on you!
Tuesday 22 June, 2004

Gianluigi Buffon has launched a scathing attack on the two Scandinavian nations that played out a 2-2 draw to eliminate Italy.

“It was a shameful way to qualify,” snapped the goalkeeper after a futile 2-1 win over Bulgaria. “I am not worried about saying it was positively shocking, because this was done by two nations who had a reputation for fair play.”

Denmark and Sweden knew that a high-scoring draw of 2-2 or above would automatically see both neighbouring nations through at the expense of the Azzurri.

They had assured there would be no Scandinavian stitch-up and claimed the Italians saw conspiracies everywhere they went.

“I now understand that we are forever pointing out our own faults,” added a livid Buffon, “but at the end of the day the other nations are even worse.”

Italy were forced to wait on this result after drawing their opening two Group games with Denmark and Sweden.

“This is another element we must look at,” continued the Juventus man. “We have never lost a single game in Euro 2004 and yet we go out. The 0-0 with the Danes was our worst performance, but with Sweden we conceded a simply incredible goal from out of the blue. It feels as if we have paid a heavy price.”

Some pundits are sniping at the Azzurri’s fury and claim in their place they would also have played for a 2-2 draw.

“In all honesty,” assured Buffon, “I wouldn’t have done that. It would have meant losing your dignity as a professional, and especially being a goalkeeper I’d never have wanted to concede two goals.”

Denmark’s passage was sealed by two strikes from Milan forward Jon Dahl Tomasson, so what will Buffon say when he meets up with his Serie A opponent next season?

“I’d tell him that football is like a giant wheel that turns endlessly, so sooner or later it’ll come round again.”

Oh, come on Gigi, did you even see the game??? :rolleyes:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Edge

Jun 14, 2004
Sorensen fixed the game, maybe not everyone in both sides were involved, but he definitely played his part on the 2-2 scoreline, if you can't see that, then I'm shocked.

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #5
    ++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
    I agree with Gigi on this one.
    I dont.

++ [ originally posted by Edge ] ++
    Sorensen fixed the game, maybe not everyone in both sides were involved, but he definitely played his part on the 2-2 scoreline, if you can't see that, then I'm shocked.
    I cant see that. What shocks me is that you cant see that Denmark had NO REASON to fix the game.

Think about it. If Sweden had been leading 2-1 I could have understood, they would still be top of the table. But this draw pushed Denmark down to second place and now they have to play the Czech Republic. They had no reason to fix the game, it would have been much better for them had they won.

++ [ originally posted by Eaglesnake_1 ] ++
    Your making this treath because you suport sweden......

Whats the relevance???

Edge

Jun 14, 2004
    I don't understand how people can support Juve and not support the Italian national team ? can anyone explain to me please.

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++
    Buffon: Shame on you!
    Tuesday 22 June, 2004

Gianluigi Buffon has launched a scathing attack on the two Scandinavian nations that played out a 2-2 draw to eliminate Italy.

“It was a shameful way to qualify,” snapped the goalkeeper after a futile 2-1 win over Bulgaria. “I am not worried about saying it was positively shocking, because this was done by two nations who had a reputation for fair play.”

Denmark and Sweden knew that a high-scoring draw of 2-2 or above would automatically see both neighbouring nations through at the expense of the Azzurri.

They had assured there would be no Scandinavian stitch-up and claimed the Italians saw conspiracies everywhere they went.

“I now understand that we are forever pointing out our own faults,” added a livid Buffon, “but at the end of the day the other nations are even worse.”

Italy were forced to wait on this result after drawing their opening two Group games with Denmark and Sweden.

“This is another element we must look at,” continued the Juventus man. “We have never lost a single game in Euro 2004 and yet we go out. The 0-0 with the Danes was our worst performance, but with Sweden we conceded a simply incredible goal from out of the blue. It feels as if we have paid a heavy price.”

Some pundits are sniping at the Azzurri’s fury and claim in their place they would also have played for a 2-2 draw.

“In all honesty,” assured Buffon, “I wouldn’t have done that. It would have meant losing your dignity as a professional, and especially being a goalkeeper I’d never have wanted to concede two goals.”

Denmark’s passage was sealed by two strikes from Milan forward Jon Dahl Tomasson, so what will Buffon say when he meets up with his Serie A opponent next season?

“I’d tell him that football is like a giant wheel that turns endlessly, so sooner or later it’ll come round again.”

Oh, come on Gigi, did you even see the game??? :rolleyes:
    He didnt, he was on the pitch in that time ;):D

He overreacts after defeat.

Believe or not, but this "always nice and friendly guy" really can overreact at times.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
    I don't understand how people can support Juve and not support the Italian national team ? can anyone explain to me please.
    Because not everybody is italian here...and some of the members in this forum have their nations playing in the competition too.

For me, I support Juve above all.. and this time i was cheering for Italy... but 4years ago, i was cheering for france and zidane (im still with france.. but i really wanted Italy to win this time).
    Im cheerin for The Cezhs too.. because those 3 teams have somthing to do with juve.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004

I dont.
    Its just too suspicious for me. A routine save that was, but instead it's a goal. A lackluster display by Sand, which should have been a goal. Too suspicious.

Lets drop it, because its over now. Same with all the gloating and celebrations that Italy is out.

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #10
    What, so Swedish Juve fans should support Italy? :rolleyes:

I dont understand why people who have no connection to Italy whatsoever are reacting like it's the ned of the world. Support your own NTs that passionately FFS.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Hydde ] ++

Because not everybody is italian here...and some of the members in this forum have their nations playing in the competition too.

For me, I support Juve above all.. and this time i was cheering for Italy... but 4years ago, i was cheering for france and zidane (im still with france.. but i really wanted Italy to win this time).
    Im cheerin for The Cezhs too.. because those 3 teams have somthing to do with juve.
    Same here. But I have been an Italy supporter since WC 94 in the U.S. My first favorite footballer was Roby Baggio. Since then I have always loved Italy, and hope the best for them.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004

What, so Swedish Juve fans should support Italy? :rolleyes:

I dont understand why people who have no connection to Italy whatsoever are reacting like it's the ned of the world. Support your own NTs that passionately FFS.
    What? Your telling us this? Well then you should have fun supporting Bosnia then, shouldn't you? What garbage Zlatan.

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #17

What? Your telling us this? Well then you should have fun supporting Bosnia then, shouldn't you? What garbage Zlatan.
    Yes, and I do actually, I've been to all home matches in the Euro quals, made a thread here about the Bosnia-Denmark match (which could have taken us to EURO 2004), and I even made a 1000+ word preview of the match for Soccerage.

But I also support Sweden because it actually IS my second nation, it's the country that gave me shelter during the war, the country I spent 4 years of my life in and the country where a lot of my family still lives.

So I actually have quite a conection to it.

EDIT: And I actually support Bosnia more passionately tha I do Sweden.

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
    Buffon is just whineing and making excuses. Even if the Sweden - Denmark game was fixed, he couldn't have seen it!!. So really, how does he know one way or the other? Why doesn't he go back and actually watch the match, then make accusiations. As it stands now, he looks like a fool and a sore loser.

As for supporting Juve and the Italian national team, they are very seperate things. I love Juve and I support the US National team. I do like the Azzuri, and I root for them in competitions like this, but when the two sides play there isn't any question who I am rooting for. In may parts of the world, we can't look to our domestic leagues for world class football so we have to find another squad in another country. I'm disapointed that Italy lost but I'm not devestated as I would be if I were a big supporter.

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002

Zlatan explained many times, why he supports Bosnia and Sweden, they both are homeland for him.

Eaglesnake_1

Mar 28, 2004

Whats the relevance???
    I understand that you are euphoric about sweden going to next round...but really is shaming you attitude, i really dont think your a real juve supporter...in other posts, you were enjoying Italy fall...

I mean, no problem, you have right to feel like you want...but is sad reading your post coming from a "supposed" Juve fan.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)