Boring aren't we? in the transfer market (1 Viewer)

A_LAcki

Dec 23, 2002
All I have to say, is that all this talking about our bad transfer campaigne is bullsh*t.
The transfer window is open, since three days (!), EURO hasn't even finished yet, and some guys already see everything negative (as usual).
We will have to wait ánd see what happens, but as I said many times before: Capello came here, to build up a new squad and I anm sure that he will request some nice players!

LEC

Sep 6, 2002
++ [ originally posted by A_LAcki ] ++
All I have to say, is that all this talking about our bad transfer campaigne is bullsh*t.
The transfer window is open, since three days (!), EURO hasn't even finished yet, and some guys already see everything negative (as usual).
We will have to wait ánd see what happens, but as I said many times before: Capello came here, to build up a new squad and I anm sure that he will request some nice players!
exactly

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
++ [ originally posted by BigIzz ] ++
Exactly. Do you want to win or do you want transfer madness. Juve has been incredibly successful over the years doing it this way, why stop now.
You're right with that point, thing is we're not asking for transfer madness. Mexes, Ferrari and Trabelsi between them would have cost a shade over £10m. That is an absolute abrgain for three players that are young, quite experienced and very talented. Moggi I feel has let us down here. Just imagine the possibility of this defence next year

--------------------------------Buffon-------------------------------
---------------Thuram--------Ferrari----------Mexes------------
Trabelsi-------------------------------------------------Zambrotta

personally I think thats absolutely awesome!:down:

reneu

Jul 2, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++

--------------------------------Buffon-------------------------------
---------------Thuram--------Ferrari----------Mexes------------
Trabelsi-------------------------------------------------Zambrotta

personally I think thats absolutely awesome!:down:

it certainly would be awesome!

btw. nice to be in these forums, its my first post. :)

s0ftcore

Jul 13, 2002
It would be nice but it won't be possible. What's going to happen to people like Iuliano, Tudor, Montero, Birdendelli and just for the hell of it, Legro? We can't have all of them on the bench. I would like to see us selling first before we even think of buying. BTW, why is it Carini isn't our back up keeper but Chimenti is?

LEC

Sep 6, 2002
++ [ originally posted by reneu ] ++

it certainly would be awesome!

btw. nice to be in these forums, its my first post. :)
welcome to the juventuz forums! hallo österreich!

Rushy

The Poet
Jul 3, 2004
Yeah, moggi is getting old... Juve allways buy players to loan them out.. they think too much about the future... But Juve shall have succeed next season...

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
++ [ originally posted by s0ftcore ] ++
It would be nice but it won't be possible. What's going to happen to people like Iuliano, Tudor, Montero, Birdendelli and just for the hell of it, Legro? We can't have all of them on the bench. I would like to see us selling first before we even think of buying. BTW, why is it Carini isn't our back up keeper but Chimenti is?
carini is too good to be a sub, Chimenti isn't. Simple as that it seems. I'm hoping we keep Iuliano, he's a decent sub with Zebina. Legro should be kicked out post haste though, Montero should go back to uruguay to finish his career then become a coach

OP
denco

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #72
    Fiirst things first, I never said we should go 4 Rommedahl, I was just saying a club like Charlton 2 years ago would never have thought of going for a player of Rommedahl's stature but now with showing gr8 ambition by ging for players of that ilk

On the other hand i kep reading garbage about how Moggi is sensible in the transfer market

Fact : We are not on the level of the big teams in Italy and Europe when it comes to player for player, thats why we get beaten time and time again by clubs on our level
    How many times have we been trounced by teams like Milan, Roma, Lazio Depor and co in a straight shoot out

Fact: Refereeing decisions in a season amount to close to 15 points for us and thats one of the main reasons we have won the league in recent times, very little to do with our over all play and players

Who is talking about going mad? Is it not disappointing to read that Roma in debt are in pole position to sign \mexes who would cost £4m, they got Chivu and Samuel in the past, pole to sign Ferrari

And they have said we have not even put in a bid for Emerson even if they guy has said he is either coming to us or nothing

Instead the briliant Moggi is looking to get a player who he himself sold for £12m some seasons back and who is on a downward spiral in Vieri

Milan are looking to get Crespo a proven goal getter in serieA on loan

There are people here who would support Moggi till the last at the beginning and talk rubish like lets just wait and see and then start blaming the players and opening offensive threads about players when the season is not going their way

I would say this and you can quote me on this

WITH THIS PRESENT SQUAD WE WOULD NOT WIN ANYTHING

Unless we dramatically improve this squad then forget about Cl and SerieA as its not because of Lippi we failed miserably its because of the squad or are u telling me that Montero, Dp, Iuliano,Camo, Birindelli, Pessotto, Tacchinardi, Thuram Nedved, Trez, Appiah, Leggro would dramatically improve to such an extent that we would be on equal footing with Milan

The only player who is on an upward slope is Zambrotta while Maresca and Miccoli have more to offer but not to win the scudetto as frankly they are not good enough whether u like to hear it or not

Its not about wishful thinking and hoping because teams like Milan , Inter and roma have helped us win scudetto in the past then our transfer policy works, it does not as our dismal showing in Europe over 4 or 5 years have shown

Laying the blame on individuals would not help they need ppl of equal ability to help them out

No point getting world class strikers if the defence and midfield is shite

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
    I`ll be very happy if we just sign Emerson and find a way to keep Davids it will surely bring us the scudetto back as far for the CL I believe we can get it too because we have Capello but I still want other signings too like Rosicky or someone who can play the playmaker role a good defender maybe Mexes a striker to replace Trez I simply don`t like him a striker should know more than just shoot and head the ball IMO and we can even get Mutu and Crespo for Trez which we can put Crespo instead of Trez cause he is better and rotate with DP and Mutu as we like we can also buy someone else...

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
    WITH THIS PRESENT SQUAD WE WOULD NOT WIN ANYTHING

Unless we dramatically improve this squad then forget about Cl and SerieA as its not because of Lippi we failed miserably its because of the squad or are u telling me that Montero, Dp, Iuliano,Camo, Birindelli, Pessotto, Tacchinardi, Thuram Nedved, Trez, Appiah, Leggro would dramatically improve to such an extent that we would be on equal footing with Milan

The only player who is on an upward slope is Zambrotta while Maresca and Miccoli have more to offer but not to win the scudetto as frankly they are not good enough whether u like to hear it or not

Its not about wishful thinking and hoping because teams like Milan , Inter and roma have helped us win scudetto in the past then our transfer policy works, it does not as our dismal showing in Europe over 4 or 5 years have shown

Laying the blame on individuals would not help they need ppl of equal ability to help them out

No point getting world class strikers if the defence and midfield is shite
    I will say that we will be better now that Lippi is gone. The squad has many younger players who would benefit from playing time and who will upgrade the squad. Furthermore, I never saw Lippi's tactical genious, and I think that Capello will use our few good players to much better effect. IMO, the only gap that needs desperately to be filled is the one left by Edgar Davids. Who knows which player will fill that gap, but he may already be in our squad.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    maresca would fill that gap pretty well.

however wouldn't you consider the two CB positions gaps that must desperately be filled?

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
    yeap, probably Capello can do better work with the youngsters than Lippi did... I'm just hoping that we can get the best out of Chiumento and Banjamin in the near future, just like Capello did with De Rossi etc... and yes, welcome to new members, and nice to see you back Lacki! :)

JuveCampione

Sep 21, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++

Chiellini-------Who----------Boooooooooooooring
    I don't think Chiellini is a boring signing. maybe in a few years you will say how genius Moggi was when he bought him.
    We still haven't got to our major signings, so you realy can't tell if we are boring in the transfer market or not.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
    Firstly, I totally agree that our signing in recent years has anything but boring.Fresi, Camoranesi, Legrottaglie, Appiah, Chimenti, Olivera and other numerous little signing we made are certainly not entertaining.
    Nonetheless, we are missing a focal point here. The primary focus of transfer campaign IMO is to make the squad better and not to entertain fans.

If the management team make valuable signings which will undoubtedly strenghten the squad, then fans will naturally be happy on the prospects that the team they support will have the chance to win some major honours at the end of year. While I do believe that fans in general have good knowledge over their team and thus should not be dismissed outright, what we dont acknowledge the fact that managment has to keep their spending within their budgetm espeically regarding wages, and thus they have to sign players for the right value rather than just a big name arrival. The difficult bit is determining what the budget "exactly" is not only on a short run but also on a long run, and deciding which players are the right fit for the team. The process is more of a judgement than a science. Furthermore, as the process is more of an art than science, there is inherent risk involved in signing process, which cannot be totally eliminated even if we try our best to guard against it through analysis. And lets not forget the fact that management does not have a benefit of a hindsight in contrast to the fans.
    Going back to past signings, following facts or strategies stand out for me:
    1) We already had good core of players: Del Piero, Nedved, Davids, Buffon, Thuram, Ferrara, Montero (pre 2002-2003 season) and Trezeguet was a quality group of players capable of winning trophies.
    2) They were in their prime and entering a stage of career where their skill normally diminish.
    3) Hence naturally management team tried to make signings that provided depth and complimentary strenghts to existing price at right value (with Di Vaio being the exception)
    4) Developing youngstars in order to reduce the cost of replacing existing players.
    I feel that the past success of our team vindicated that management to certain extent was right to pursue such strategies. Why sign Beckams, Figos, Ronaldos or other los glaticos for million of dollars when we already have competent team already? 2 Scudetti, CL final, unluckily being knocked out in another one due to injury epidemic prior to Bayer Leverkeusen match who eventually become finalist to me are far from being disappointing, even for our high standards IMO. Winning and not winning, especially depends on a cup competition is a fine line, and cannot be totally controlled for and thus trying to buy a cup does not always work: a lesson which Roman does not understand (Mind you, if I was him with his wealth I wouldnt mind spending couple of cents on Juve :p). What we built last couple of years was a group of players which werent that great in terms of technical ability but had mental toughness, desire, and team ethic that were needed to win games. It wasn't always pretty and obviously we rode our luck at times (Barca match comes into my mind), but in the end we managed to become successful. All the previous signing was far from exciting but I believe at the time we made those signings it was certainly interesting. Firstly, with the exception of Di Vaio, most of the signings were cheap and came off with good season showing degree of potential.
    And they were aimed at improving areas that we were suppose to be weak at. Secondly, it would be ridiculous to anticipate how Appiah and other players would exactly develop. These are "unknown" factors for managment team which they cannot control because it is never exactly known how players would respond to new environment. As for scouting talent worldwide, every major team tries to do it, but at the end of day locals will undoubtedly have advantage through superior links with smaller team, and wider network.
    I am not trying to deny that managment does not have any faults with our past transfer campaigns. For instance, I think Moggi judged our budget completely wrong in the long run in 2002-2003 when he did not pursue Nesta because we already had 4 central defenders in the team. Nesta for anything less than Rio's value, never mind less than 20m pounds is a bargain, and the fact was that there were some concerns with the age of our defence. I would bet Moggi would love to sign Nesta for that value right now even if it meant having an extra than he wished back then. Secondly, Moggi's refusal to sign quality defender beside Legrottaglie last year, despite the fact that Ferrara and Montero got burned in some matches, especially against pace, is simply unforgivable IMO. His reluctance to sign creative midfield is also puzzling. Also, there is no doubt that our scouting and player development programme is partly responsible for the lack of rise of young major star from our youth system. Kaka case is downright stupid without any doubt.

Nonetheless, the point is that over the past year, we were inactive in the transfer market because we did not need to not because we wanted it. Beside, transfer campaigns should always be conducted within the budget, as Messeiurs Tanzi and Cragnotti found out to their costs. Senor Perez might be following their suit. Determining the budget is the key to the successful club managment because it is anything but easy and sure. And putting this persepctive into currnet context within our team, 2 thing stands out: 1) Our team lacks good core, so we are in need of world class player. 2) Can we sign likes of Aimar, and co to right value?
    Determining which player we need, and how much we should pay for them is a difficult process no doubt. However, in this summer there is a room for exciting summer signing and that being a right strategy. For one thing, due to a depressed transfer market has produced some bargains in the long run in my view: Mexes, Ferrari for the quoted price is absolute steal. Secondly, only way to maintain our revenues is a good performance on the pitch, and that given the state of the our team right now we need some inforcement. With out scouting analysis, and good negotiations, we should have both fruitful and exciting calcio mercato. I do agree with denco that I am disppointed with the transfer market as of now, but I do not believe that we will sign Vieri, or Wiltord based on my judgement of our managment. Beside, normally tansfer campaign starts off after the big tournament finished, so it is difficult to judge our transfer campaign at this moment of time. And lets not forget getting right players is a job half done, molding them into team and winning the trophies is job complete. If the experiences of Greece, South Korea, Monaco, Porto, to Detroit Pistons and Florida Marlins are anything to go by: You win as a team And apologies for a long post.
    ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)