Books you're reading (6 Viewers)

OP
mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #102
    I finished "Reaper Man" by Pratchett. Quite funny, in a bizarre Douglas Adamsey kind of way. Death has to be the best charactor I've read in recent years.

To the Death of Rats:
    NO, YOU CAN'T STAY. I'M NOT RUNNING A FRANCHISE HERE.

OP
    mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #106
    I'm reading "Last and First Men" by Olaf Stapledon. Strangest book I've ever read. It's a future history of the next 2,000,000,000 years, and man's evolution in that time. Fascinating, if a bit dull. It's considered a cornerstone of classic sci-fi, so I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt.

Maya

Sep 2, 2004
    At the moment I'm reading.. "The Birth of Venus" written by Sarah Dunant.
    It's a historical novel, where we get to know the history of Florence during the Renaissance through the voice of Alessandra, the main-character.
    The novel is interesting, as far as I've read it, but in my opinion I would be better off some of the details.

One user mentioned "Fever Pitch" by Nick Hornby. I think one must be a Arsenal-fan to love it, and since I'm not, I had a hard time getting through it.

I didn't like "Bridget Jone's Diary" at all, I found it boring rather than funny. However "Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason" was much much much better. And those of you who are considering to give "Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination" by the same other, a try, I recommend you don't. :angel:

nina

Feb 18, 2001
    Me neither, half through :D It's excellent! And it's all already underlined and colorful ... yeah I have the habbit of underlining smart/wonderful thoughts in the books :geek: :embarass: This is my first Kundera, yours? I have been missing out on WAY too much, have to hurry now on his books :D

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
    It´s my first Kundera too, does he have anything else well-known? I´m liking it too, it´s very smart and perceptive and has a very special style. Can´t really think of anything very similar to it. It´s a book where underlining some sections probably is fun, as there´s a lot of things to underline. :)

I know the book has been made into a film, but I really can´t see how they would do that. It must be impossible to capture the essence of the book on film, as it´s not really in the action, it´s just the writing and... can´t really explain it.:undecide: But I don´t see how it could work in a film, so I got to watch it to see how they´ve screwed up. :D

OP
    mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #117
    ++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
    I'm reading "Last and First Men" by Olaf Stapledon. Strangest book I've ever read. It's a future history of the next 2,000,000,000 years, and man's evolution in that time. Fascinating, if a bit dull. It's considered a cornerstone of classic sci-fi, so I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt.
    Just finished this. It was interesting, but most people would find it pretty dry, boring stuff. Reading the afterward, I found out that the author was surprised to find his book considered so highly in Sci-Fi circles (this is in the '30s & '40s), as he'd never heard of the (then-fledgling) genre!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)