Books you're reading (11 Viewers)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
The best part about Macbeth was the fact that my English tutor spent half a year calling Macduff "Mad cuff" :LOL:

OP
mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #64
    Since I reported last, I've read:

• The Blind Watchmaker, Dawkins
    • Good Omens, Gaimon and Pratchett
    • Hegemony or Survival: America's Quest for Global Dominance, Chomsky

Having little time to review properly, here goes:
    Watchmaker was actually kind of boring and repetitive. After a while, I found myself thinking, 'Okay, I get it, complexity can grow from even a very simple initial state. What else is your book about?' I never found out. I very, very rarely abandon a book in midstream, but this was too poor for my taste. Maybe I knew too much about the subject already, but it seemed very patronising and repetive. Did I say it was boring and repetitive already? Yes? Well it is.

Good Omens is great book, which explains that the end of the world is in fact going to take place next Saturday, shortly after teatime. The eleven-year-old anti-christ at the centre of it all is more a sideshow than anything else, but the demon Crowley steals the show for me, the highlights being too numerous to mention. Very enjoyable rubbish.

The Chomsky book (I'm damned if I'm typing something that length) was very enlightening. I thoroughly enjoyed getting a totally different perspective on world politics. Basically, America rules the world, and they're evil. Hang on, I think I've heard this one before. Still, articulate, and well-reasoned, this is really a great book for those of you who think Michael Moore is a bit of a gimp, but has a point.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    This one is more on topic than most, as I read it while travelling through Italy. It's written during the 1997-1998 season, with Ancelotti giving the author a good inside to his management of the Parma squad then. However, it's at least as much about the general goings on in Serie A that year than Parma in specific.

It makes for a good read that's particularly interesting for its historical perspective -- though more of a flashback for fans during that time. Some of the more interesting parts of the book:

* Perspective on future Juve players (Buffon, Thuram) before their switch from Parma

* A recap of the massive controversy over officiating during the championship that year, en route to Juve's 25th scudetto

* Ancelotti's struggles with placing higher than 2nd (that were only resolved this year)

* How much AC Milan went into the toilet that season with many of the same players from previous years -- plus new ones who were superstars elsewhere and yet couldn't gel as a team. And the notion of cycles and what it means coming off one (Juventini, take notice).

* Inter's U.N.-like team and their spending spree, compared with Juve's strong Italian-French backbone.

* Juve's repeated strength at being a sum greater than its parts, and how its had a history of selling off some of its best players and still winning the scudetto. Plus Juve's success with "turnover" -- of aging players and those who aren't in top physical condition, despite past performances (take note this year, Moggi).

* Reflections on Italian media questions that still form the backbone of (annoying) threads in this forum today, e.g.: "If you had to choose one player, would you take DP or Ronaldo?"

* Baggio was getting old even then, but was -- then as now -- still quite capable. ;)

ADDENDUM: Oh, and one more thing -- for all those Juventini who want to see us open up our offense and play more attacking football (this despite scoring more goals than anyone in Serie A except Roma [by 1 goal]): the book also makes mention, citing recent examples, of how often the top defensive team of the year wins the scudetto. The same holds true.

Damn, we need a defense.

OP
    mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #67
    ++ [ originally posted by Roverbhoy ] ++
    Hey Mikhail...long time.

Did you ever get your hands on The Dice Man?
    No. I'd actually forgotten about it.

I'm reading a book called The Closing of the Western Mind at the moment. It's been interesting so far. It claims to cover the "rise of faith and the fall of reason" - basically how the Christian church opposed and eventually set back reasoned philosophical and scientific thought as it grew dominant in the 5th century. The author covers the ancient Greek attitudes towards reasoned debate, and is presumably going to show how the church undermined support for that. He's already mentioned briefly the arguement of how to treat the Trinity (the now dogmatic view is that it consists of three entities in one, while it was also argued in the 5th century that either Jesus was a manifestation of the Godhead on Earth, or that Jesus, while divine, was (is) a lesser entity to God. Fascinating stuff.

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++

No. I'd actually forgotten about it.
    You know, although fiction, the Dice Man may appeal to you as it's also a backhanded dig at the concept of religion...Here's the abridged version of the intro.

"Luke Rhinehart is a psychiatrist, a husband and a father, his life locked down by routine and order - until he picks up the dice. The dice govern his every decision and each throw takes him further into a world of risk, discovery and freedom. As a cult of the dice grows around him the old order fades: chance becomes his religion, the dice his god"

I'm reading a book called The Closing of the Western Mind at the moment. It's been interesting so far. It claims to cover the "rise of faith and the fall of reason" - basically how the Christian church opposed and eventually set back reasoned philosophical and scientific thought as it grew dominant in the 5th century. The author covers the ancient Greek attitudes towards reasoned debate, and is presumably going to show how the church undermined support for that.
    Without question the progress of all forms of the sciences were obstructed by The Church for their own good...straight thro' till the Reformation, resulting in the renaissance...but you knew that already..sounds like a great read:D

He's already mentioned briefly the arguement of how to treat the Trinity (the now dogmatic view is that it consists of three entities in one, while it was also argued in the 5th century that either Jesus was a manifestation of the Godhead on Earth, or that Jesus, while divine, was (is) a lesser entity to God. Fascinating stuff.

Phew...I'll leave this to the clerics to discuss mate:confused:

OP
    mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #69
    Phew...I'll leave this to the clerics to discuss mate:confused:
    That's the problem. When the arguement was won in the 400s A.D., the Church closed the book on the matter - it's now dogma, and to argue against the thinking of an irrational bunch of 5th century priests is now 'blasphemy'. Which is bonkers, but that's how the Church has resisted change so stubbornly.

OP
    mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #71
    Hey, no problem. "The Faithfull" here consists of Gray, and he's very open to rational arguement.

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
    Hey, no problem. "The Faithfull" here consists of Gray, and he's very open to rational arguement.
    My problem is with all religion...not just Catholic, Christian, etc...so that means I would offend all with Faith...besides, arguments with no possible winner, although good for the mind, can breed and nurture anger and dislike...:frown:

I enjoy a nice, cordial, discussion, on matters which don't go to the heart, like...gardening and needle craft:D

OP
    mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #73
    I enjoy a nice, cordial, discussion, on matters which don't go to the heart, like...gardening and needle craft:D
    I'm afraid that what I know about needle-craft could be enscribed on the back of a postage stamp with a very dull sword. :D

tacchina

Jul 28, 2003
    The last book I read was called I Love Capri by Belinda Jones. Please, I beg anyone who doesn't believe in love or has given up all hope of finding love to read this book!!

OP
    mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #78
    ++ [ originally posted by gigi's twin ] ++
    Since I posted here I read I book about Zidane and I started to read the Silmarillion by Tolkien. It is hard to read, especcialy in English as I do!
    It's hard to read as a native English speaker. Tolkien was bonkers. :D

Loppan

Jul 13, 2002
    Here the books I've read since the last time I posted in this topic:

Last Man Standing by David Baldacci :thumb:

It took ten seconds for Web London to lose everything: his friends, his team, his reputation. Point man of the FBI's super-elite Hostage Rescue Team, Web roared into a blind alley toward a drug dealer's lair, only to meet a high-tech, custom-designed ambush that killed everyone around him." Now coping with the blame-filled words of anguished widows and the suspicions of colleagues, Web tries to put his life back together with the help of his psychiatrist, Dr. Claire Daniels. To do so, he must discover why he was the one man who lived through the ambush - and find the only other person who came out of that alley alive...a ten-year-old boy who has since disappeared
    Sanctuary by Nora Roberts :thumb: (Note: This is more of a "girls" book)

Jo Hathaway thought she had escaped the house on the island long ago. Her family's life was shattered there by the unexplained disappearance of her mother. Now Jo's childhood returns to haunt her. She begins to receive pictures of herself and of her long-lost mother, naked, beautiful and dead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)