Books you're reading (8 Viewers)

OP
mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #41
    Stand on Zanzibare
    by John Brunner
    An old book, written in the sixties, but I read it and it felt more relevant than ever. It's a sharp social commentary on mass hysteria, mass apathy, milararism, globalism and the media.

Here's a link to a pretty good review.

I'd recommend it highly.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Modern Approaches to Understanding and Managing Organizations. For school. Not as dull as you would expect. Now I need a 15 page report due tomorrow. :lazy:

OP
    mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #43
    ++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
    Modern Approaches to Understanding and Managing Organizations. For school. Not as dull as you would expect. Now I need a 15 page report due tomorrow. :lazy:
    Plagiarise. :D

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
    the Da Vinci Code

Brown's latest thriller (after Angels and Demons)is an exhaustively researched page-turner about secret religious societies, ancient coverups and savage vengeance. The action kicks off in modern-day Paris with the murder of the Louvre's chief curator, whose body is found laid out in symbolic repose at the foot of the Mona Lisa. Seizing control of the case are Sophie Neveu, a lovely French police cryptologist, and Harvard symbol expert Robert Langdon, reprising his role from Brown's last book....

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-8480155-2528107?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

It sounds pretty interesting, but I wouldnt stop believing on what I do just because Dan Brown tells me some unknown stuff

OP
    mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #50
    On the forum's suggestion, I'm reading Dawkins "The Blind Watchmaker", in my few spare moments. It's quite good so far.

Aug 1, 2003
    Currently :

The Dark Heart of Italy
    by Tobias Jones

Synopsis :

In 1999 Tobias Jones emigrated to Italy, expecting to discover the pastoral bliss described by centuries of foreign visitors. Instead, he found a very different country, beseieged by unfathomable terrorism and deep seated paranoia, where crime is scarcely ever met with punishment. The Dark Heart of Italy is Jones' account of his four year voyage across the Italian peninsula.

Jones is preoccupied not only by Italy's art, climate and cuisine, but also by the livelier and stranger sides of the Paese: Language, football, Catholicism, cinema, television and terrorism. Why, he wonders, does Parliament need a 'slaughter commission', and why do bombs still explode everytime politics start getting serious? Why does everyone urge him to go home as soon as possible, saying that Italy is a 'brothel'? Why do people warn him that "Clean Hands" only disguise as "Dirty Feet"? Most of all, why does one man, Silvio Berlusconi - in the words of a famous song - appear to own everything?

The Dark Heart of Italy is an in-depth portrait of one of the most beautiful, creative - and confusing - countries in the world.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)