Books you're reading (7 Viewers)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
okay, that's all i need to know
Unlike Dostoyevsky he doesn't focus as much on inner self but more on environment, Russian problems, revolution of youth and differences between the West and East. I only read Rudin before taking this one, but his style can be recognized, although it's pretty easy to spot an Russian classic as they are all very similar. So imo if you enjoy one you'll like them all. In Fathers & Sons he's introducing nihilism which I find highly enjoyable.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
When I met him...? Well, he was at times quiet, at times rather loquacious, usually when he'd had a drink or two. He was never a drunk though. A little standoffish to the point of being snobbish. Very gentle handshake. Not one of those firm American manly man ones. He had great posture. Stood tall and erect. Discussed rather banal day to day things with me often. His psychological insights were dreadfully droll. Bored me to tears really. He made sure I knew he had money, that he was important. I rejected his overtures of friendship, because they were clearly a farce.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
i thought some would be interested in these books, some i have read as part of the material i need to read for course work and presentations and others are next on my reading list. they are all about politics :D

Blowing Up Russia: Terror from Within is a book written by Alexander Litvinenko and Yuri Felshtinsky.

the Grand Chessboard: American Primacy and Its Geostrategic Imperatives Zbigniew Brzezinski.

The Tragedy of Great Power Politics - John Mearsheimer

A People's Tragedy: The Russian Revolution: 1891–1924 -Orlando Figes

Darkness at Dawn: The Rise of the Russian Criminal State - David Satter

coup d'etat: a practical hand book - Edward luttwak

the man on the horseback - Samuel finer

fire in the minds of men: origins of the revolutionary faith - james H. Billington

the anatomy of revolution - crane brinton

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I finished reading Demons by Dostoyevsky and it was brilliant, pretty much like all of his other work. I've decided to take a short break from him but I might finish all of his work this year, which at some level saddens me.

Today I started reading Without Dogma (I almost wrote Drogba lol) by Sienkiewicz. I'm still at the beginning pretty much but I already know I'll love it. Great stuff.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I'm on Camilleri: La rivoluzione della luna. Bought it in Trapani in Sicily last week.

Most of the book is in Sicilian, which is quite fun to read. The book is set in the 17th century when Siciliy was under a Spanish king so the royalty speak Spanish and in general Sicilian has influences from both. Cool stuff, thinking of getting more books in Sicilian.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Sounds great.

If you want to read in Italian I can recommend Luciano De Crescenzo. It's a soft philosophy and he writes it in a great way, very enjoyable books of his.

I think Storia della filosofia greca. I presocratici is the best one.

But there's also Storia della filosofia greca. Da Socrate in poi and I'm not sure which one was it. :D I also read Storia della filosofia moderna. Da Niccolò Cusano a Galileo Galilei and Storia della filosofia moderna. Da Cartesio a Kant.

I love how he simplifies stuff.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Sounds great.

If you want to read in Italian I can recommend Luciano De Crescenzo. It's a soft philosophy and he writes it in a great way, very enjoyable books of his.

I think Storia della filosofia greca. I presocratici is the best one.

But there's also Storia della filosofia greca. Da Socrate in poi and I'm not sure which one was it. :D I also read Storia della filosofia moderna. Da Niccolò Cusano a Galileo Galilei and Storia della filosofia moderna. Da Cartesio a Kant.

I love how he simplifies stuff.
Sounds great. I'm not really in the mood for philo right now, but I'll put it in the backlog.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I'm almost finished reading Mohamed Al Baradei's book: "The Age of Deception: Nuclear Diplomacy in Treacherous Times" , interesting insider look into the WMD cases of Iran, North Korea, Libya and Iraq.

Siamak

╭∩╮( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮
Aug 13, 2013
Currently reading Little women by Louisa May Alcott and anne of green gables by montgomery
good practice for learn english.
i need to a book about football and improve my English at the same time.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Don't know if you're talking about fiction, but Wilson's Inverting the Pyramid is supposed to be pretty good if you wanna know more about tactics & their histories.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)