Books you're reading (15 Viewers)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I never read much of him, mostly it was analyzing of his work by other people. I read more about Jung. IMO both of them are great but point of the view has changed drastically so they are kinda outdated nowadays. Who do you enjoy reading when it comes to psychology?
I sorta stopped reading psychology, haven't done it for a few years now.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Just a quick update. I finished reading Freud. I like it. I was mostly reading about fear and anxiety and it was interesting imo. I didn't really find it dull but I had some background of his so that might be the case. After that I read his work about dreams and I'm not a fan of it. It had some interesting stuff in it but overall it's quite poor. I also know that sort of work is already out of date and bashed by many experts but I wanted to give it a shot anyway, since it's Freud after all.

Now I'm reading Kafka and occasionally some of Novalis' poems (which are badass). Dunno what will go after, I'll try to find some of Kami's work but no idea if I'll be able to do that.

So far I gotta say I enjoy reading Russians. They simply hold the special place for me. Dostoevsky, Turgenev and Gogol are simply brilliant. Looking forward to reading more of their work this year. I have plenty of books already lined up.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Just a quick update. I finished reading Freud. I like it. I was mostly reading about fear and anxiety and it was interesting imo. I didn't really find it dull but I had some background of his so that might be the case. After that I read his work about dreams and I'm not a fan of it. It had some interesting stuff in it but overall it's quite poor. I also know that sort of work is already out of date and bashed by many experts but I wanted to give it a shot anyway, since it's Freud after all.

Now I'm reading Kafka and occasionally some of Novalis' poems (which are badass). Dunno what will go after, I'll try to find some of Kami's work but no idea if I'll be able to do that.

So far I gotta say I enjoy reading Russians. They simply hold the special place for me. Dostoevsky, Turgenev and Gogol are simply brilliant. Looking forward to reading more of their work this year. I have plenty of books already lined up.

toldja nig

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I find Kafka hilarious. The man was incredibly funny. Too bad that part of his books is never highlighted.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
i do rank em higher than frenchies, though they were highly influenced by them, any educated russian man up until the revolution spoke mostly french
They all spoke French. Before English got globalized it was French that was spoken in basically all countries as far as I know (when it comes to educated folks at least, and palaces & kings etc. Majority of people back then were sent to France to educate too, even from my place). Don't know if you meant somebody in particular but most of the Russians that I mentioned were born way before French ones (especially Kami lol, he's a new guard). I also find their works totally different so I'd never guess they were influenced by their work at all.

I find Kafka hilarious. The man was incredibly funny. Too bad that part of his books is never highlighted.
I'm reading The Trial at the moment. I do think it had funny moments, but what I enjoy the most is the simplicity of his work (although Kami beats him). Who do you enjoy reading?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I'm reading The Trial at the moment. I do think it had funny moments, but what I enjoy the most is the simplicity of his work (although Kami beats him). Who do you enjoy reading?
I like Kafka very much. The whole church scene in The Trial is awesome. I'm a fan of Pirandello and Hemingway.

Jul 15, 2006
Need to continue with the Jussi Adler-Olsen series. Anyone recommend Angels & Demons by Dan Brown?

- - - Updated - - -

Need to continue with the Jussi Adler-Olsen series. Anyone recommend Angels & Demons by Dan Brown?

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
@Ocelot I'm currently reading a Danish book about The Competition State and thought it would be something for you, but since you are a Third World citizen who haven't learned the language of the Gods, I thought I'd find something similar in English :D

"New Labour, Globalization, and the Competition State"

https://ces.fas.harvard.edu/files/working_papers/CES_WP70.pdf

A must to know about the idea: "The Competition State" if one enjoys Economics and Politics.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
@Ocelot I'm currently reading a Danish book about The Competition State and thought it would be something for you, but since you are a Third World citizen who haven't learned the language of the Gods, I thought I'd find something similar in English :D

"New Labour, Globalization, and the Competition State"

https://ces.fas.harvard.edu/files/working_papers/CES_WP70.pdf

A must to know about the idea: "The Competition State" if one enjoys Economics and Politics.
Nice, sounds interesting :tup:

Been reading Flassbeck's Gescheitert: Warum die Politik vor der Wirtschaft kapituliert (rough translation: Failed: Why politics surrenders to economy), think it touches on a lot of those issues as well, and rightfully so, competition between states and "social dumping" is a huge problem imo. I don't think that it's available in English either though :D

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
Nice, sounds interesting :tup:

Been reading Flassbeck's Gescheitert: Warum die Politik vor der Wirtschaft kapituliert (rough translation: Failed: Why politics surrenders to economy), think it touches on a lot of those issues as well, and rightfully so, competition between states and "social dumping" is a huge problem imo. I don't think that it's available in English either though :D
Brilliant! I've got to sharpen up my terrible German. Want to get threw the major works of Habermas, Honneth and Luhmann in 2015.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)