Books you're reading (95 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
It really sucks when you have no money and want to buy a book. So you have like 100 choices and you have to pick only one :cry:
Go for bang for you buck, bro. Péter Nádas ~ Parallel Stories 1152 brilliant pages.

Or if you're looking for some dark, strange, confusing, nightmarish read, that could be circled through a dozen times or more... Mark Danielewski's House of Leaves is always a good choice.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Buy an ebook and download pirated pdfs. It will be worth it in the long run.
I hate ebooks, I hate reading in front of the PC. I'm old fashion, wanna hold it in my hands.

And also I'd like to have a collection of some great books, so even printing pages is not really an option.

I already have tons of books but that's all from my dad, not everything that holds my interest. I'd like to have mine selection.

Go for bang for you buck, bro. Péter Nádas ~ Parallel Stories 1152 brilliant pages.

Or if you're looking for some dark, strange, confusing, nightmarish read, that could be circled through a dozen times or more... Mark Danielewski's House of Leaves is always a good choice.
I'm leaning toward Russians at the moment. I wanna read many of their work.

I tried to find Parallel Stories on the Internet but it seems I can't find a copy in Belgrade.

- - - Updated - - -

I could never return a good book, they'd jail my ass :D

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Buy it afterwards if it's worth adding to the collection? I don't see the issue. :p

- - - Updated - - -

It's the first book of his I read, so it holds a special place in my heart for that. It's probably more "out there" than any of his books aside from 1Q84. But I like the blending of genres, from a sort of noir cyber-punk world, to a surreal fantasy realm. Postmodern Cityscape to Phantasmagorical dreamland. Kafka meets Blade Runner meets Lewis Carroll. It's like much of Murakami, with a sort of lack of emotion and passion from the characters, a very prosaic approach to everything in life, whether it be sex, eating, drinking, fighting for your life, etc. Everything seems to come across as ordinary.

It's not as developed as his later works Wind-Up Bird Chronicle (my favourite of his), Kafka On The Shore, 1Q84. All three, are, in trying to be objective, better books. But it's still a favourite of mine, perhaps for nostalgic reasons alone. Any of those 4 though, and Sputnik Sweetheart. One cannot go wrong.
Ok, thanks. :tup:

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I hate ebooks, I hate reading in front of the PC. I'm old fashion, wanna hold it in my hands.

And also I'd like to have a collection of some great books, so even printing pages is not really an option.

I already have tons of books but that's all from my dad, not everything that holds my interest. I'd like to have mine selection.

I'm leaning toward Russians at the moment. I wanna read many of their work.

I tried to find Parallel Stories on the Internet but it seems I can't find a copy in Belgrade.

- - - Updated - - -

No used bookshops around your area? The classic Russians... Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Turgenev, Chekhov, Gorky, Bulgakov, Lermontov, etc. are usually pretty easy to find in used bookshops for next to nothing.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
dusko i think he meant, buy a tablet for like 50 euros and read books for free on it
That doesn't sound bad at all.

I need 50 euros then. :p

I hardly have 30 now and I gotta buy shoes! So meh, I guess I'll have to wait until I get a job or something. In the meantime I'll stick to what I have.

- - - Updated - - -

No used bookshops around your area? The classic Russians... Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Turgenev, Chekhov, Gorky, Bulgakov, Lermontov, etc. are usually pretty easy to find in used bookshops for next to nothing.
We do have but it's not a big difference price wise. Turgenev in the store is 6e (most expensive of his work is 10e).

I have all of Dostoevsky.

But yeah, I badly want Tolstoy, Turgenev and Chekhov.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
That doesn't sound bad at all.

I need 50 euros then. :p

I hardly have 30 now and I gotta buy shoes! So meh, I guess I'll have to wait until I get a job or something. In the meantime I'll stick to what I have.

- - - Updated - - -

We do have but it's not a big difference price wise. Turgenev in the store is 6e (most expensive of his work is 10e).

I have all of Dostoevsky.

But yeah, I badly want Tolstoy, Turgenev and Chekhov.
we'll do a tuz fundraiser for you :p

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Have around 7-8 of the books you listed and they all were very cheap in english bookshop around here (bought it myself or were gifts from the same place), like 7-11 euros each more or less. Some of those books are common classics that Dule should be able to borrow in library too, and just re-borrow if he hasnt finished yet, though 1 month should be enough for each.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
ĵџvє_вãвγ;4734147 said:
Rosshalde :delpiero:..***..
Not a huge fan of it but I pretty much enjoyed all of his books literally, some to a lesser extent.

Last I read was Narcissus and Goldmund and I was impressed, I think it's a great book.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
ok i read this book and while i enjoyed the mystery in the first half, i found the second half to be dull at best, the last 200 pages were predictable and 'cheap' :p i give 2 stars out of 5
Ooh damn, still got half the book to read. O well, we'll see.

---

This was worth the listen. Informative for the lay man on what and why makes athletes superior to everyone else, mostly explaining the genetic side of it. A bit overdone with anecdotes, and at times excessive biological explanations, but the rest of the book was interesting enough to give it a 3/5

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 90)