Books you're reading (34 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I just began Vitomil Zupan's Minuet for Guitar. Interesting read thus far. Any Slovenians on Tuz?

I was also recently recommended Craig Thompson's Habibi, by a friend. Anyone read it?

Cuti

The Real MC
Jul 30, 2006
ordered the Zlatan autobiography. Hopefully it arrives by the time i'm meant to go to Amsterdam so I can read it on the flight!

On a similar note, does anyone know what the best Jim Morrison biography/autobiography is? As some people recommended it, but they are currently abroad and don't know the name haha

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Murder In Mississippi by John Safran, a sort of comedic-journalist I've been a fan of for many years now.

It's a true crime story about the murder of a white supremacist John had met shooting one of his series', Richard Barrett. I'm only a few chapters in but I'm already loving it. John Safran is a hilarious and talented writer and orator. Maybe it helps having watched all his work, reading the whole book in his funny, lispy voice (just as reading American Psycho in Christian Bale's voice did) but so far I've found it as funny as it is fascinating.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
ok i read this book and while i enjoyed the mystery in the first half, i found the second half to be dull at best, the last 200 pages were predictable and 'cheap' :p i give 2 stars out of 5
Read The Galley Slave by Drago Jancar next. I think you'll love it. An interesting Eastern/Central European tale of the plague and the Inquisition, a locale hardly touched upon in literature in that context... Quite brilliant.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Parallel Stories ~ Péter Nádas
The Melancholy of Resistance ~ László Krasznahorkai
Primeval and Other Times ~ Olga Tokarczuk
The Tunnel ~ William H. Gass
Against the Day ~ Thomas Pynchon
Labyrinths ~ JL Borges
The Infernal Desire Machines of Dr Hoffman ~ Angela Carter
War & War ~ László Krasznahorkai
Gravity’s Rainbow ~ Thomas Pynchon
The Galley Slave ~ Drago Jancar
Dagny, Or a Love Feast ~ Zurab Karumidze
The Life and Adventures Of Trobadora Beatrice ~ Irmtraud Morgner
Blinding ~ Mircea Cartaresçu
The Passive Vampire ~ Gherasim Luca
A Minor Apocalypse ~ Tadeusz Konwicki
Pale Fire ~ Vladimir Nabokov
Seeiobo There Below ~ László Krasznahorkai
Molloy, Malone Dies, The Unnamable ~ Samuel Beckett
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle ~ Haruki Murakami
The Slynx ~ Tatyana Tolstaya
Mason & Dixon ~ Thomas Pynchon
Fathers and Sons ~ Ivan Turgenev
Mumbo Jumbo ~ Ishmael Reed
Women and Men ~ Joseph McElroy
Pirate Talk or Mermalade ~ Terese Svoboda
Fantasia, An Algerian Cavalcade ~ Assia Djebar
A Book of Memories ~ Péter Nádas
Ulysses ~ James Joyce
Century 21 ~ Ewa Kuryluk
House Of Leaves ~ Mark Danielewski
Hopscotch and Other Stories ~ Julio Cortazar
The Name of the Rose ~ Umberto Eco
The Notebook, The Proof, The Third Lie ~ Agota Kristof
The Lost Steps ~ Alejo Carpentier
Crime and Punishment ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky
Omensetter’s Luck ~ William H. Gass
The Castle ~ Franz Kafka
The Savage Detectives ~ Roberto Bolaño
Wasted Morning ~ Gabriela Adamesteanu
Bend Sinister ~ Vladimir Nabokov
Lookout Cartridge ~ Joseph McElroy
The Adolescent ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky
Hard-Boiled Wonderland and The End of The World ~ Haruki Murakami
Phosphor in Dreamland ~ Rikki Ducornet
Satantango ~ László Krasznahorkai
Invitation to a Beheading ~ Vladimir Nabokov
Sanin ~ Mikhail Artsybashev
The Fall ~ Albert Camus
La Nausee ~ Jean-Paul Sartre
Infinite Jest ~ DFW
Sisters ~ Brigitte Lozerec’h
Nights At the Circus ~ Angela Carter
Catch 22 ~ Joseph Heller

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
@PostIronic

I haven't heard much about Hard-Boiled Wonderland and The End of The World. How is it compared to Murakami's other books?
It's the first book of his I read, so it holds a special place in my heart for that. It's probably more "out there" than any of his books aside from 1Q84. But I like the blending of genres, from a sort of noir cyber-punk world, to a surreal fantasy realm. Postmodern Cityscape to Phantasmagorical dreamland. Kafka meets Blade Runner meets Lewis Carroll. It's like much of Murakami, with a sort of lack of emotion and passion from the characters, a very prosaic approach to everything in life, whether it be sex, eating, drinking, fighting for your life, etc. Everything seems to come across as ordinary.

It's not as developed as his later works Wind-Up Bird Chronicle (my favourite of his), Kafka On The Shore, 1Q84. All three, are, in trying to be objective, better books. But it's still a favourite of mine, perhaps for nostalgic reasons alone. Any of those 4 though, and Sputnik Sweetheart. One cannot go wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 26)