Books you're reading (5 Viewers)

OP
mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #1,324
    Just finished 'The Hunt for Red October' by Tom Clancy. I thought novels were boring but this book just proved me wrong, really wrong.
    Extremely amazing stuff. The detail in it is awesome and the story just gives you a 'One more page wouldn't hurt' feeling (Civilization veterans are accustomed to this tho ;))
    I suggest this to everyone, especially to people that love thrills and the Cold-War era, amazing book.

Looking forward to buying Red Storm Rising.. Soviet Invasion of Europe.. oh boy! ^^
    Also, anyone who read most of Tom Clancy's books, what other books should I check out?
    You thought novels were boring but read a Clancy novel the size of a telephone directory?

I read a bunch of Clancy's novels as a teenager, but grew tired of them. I suspect a lot of them haven't dated well. If you liked The Hunt for Red October, you might try SSN, which has a lot of submarine warfare. My favourite book was The Cardinal of the Kremlin. Without Remorse is a bit different. Clear and Present Danger is pretty good too. Rainbow Six is a little different too, with a lot of emphasis on commando tactics.

Brandmon

Juventuz irregular
    Aug 13, 2008
    You thought novels were boring but read a Clancy novel the size of a telephone directory?

I read a bunch of Clancy's novels as a teenager, but grew tired of them. I suspect a lot of them haven't dated well. If you liked The Hunt for Red October, you might try SSN, which has a lot of submarine warfare. My favourite book was The Cardinal of the Kremlin. Without Remorse is a bit different. Clear and Present Danger is pretty good too. Rainbow Six is a little different too, with a lot of emphasis on commando tactics.
    I never actually liked novels as I don't finish most tbh. I started reading Lord of the Rings (belongs to my father) like, 3 years ago but got tired and bored after reading till the 50th page. (my mates said they read the whole series, bullshit I say) I might resume reading it after my mental endurance gets better though :D
    I've only managed to finish other, shorter novels but that's about it. Anything that was long didn't last long for me. The only type of books I read mostly are History books anyway.

But well, Red October was a case of it's own compared to the others. I received it as a present from my uncle last Christmas but didn't decide to start reading it until about 2 weeks ago. Once I started, I was badly hooked to it and to be honest, I wished it was longer :lol:

But anyway thanks for the tip, I'll try to check the others out :)

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
    by the way, i finished the 4 books in the space odyssey. great read

great, aren't they? any favourite?

just got back to reading "The Great War for Civilization" by british reporter Robert Fisk. Basically an account of the 20th century-present Middle East. Fisk is knowledgeable, passionate, and a pretty good writer. He does a good job of taking his many different assignments in the Middle East and putting it all together in a 1000+ page book. However, in his effort to counteract what he sees as biased American and Israeli media, he perhaps leans too far the other way, so anyone reading his book as an unbiased history will be disappointed. That said, it's a fascinating account, and well worth the time to read.

Henry

Sep 30, 2003

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
    it definitely sounds like there might be a specific composer or work that influenced that section, but it could also be a mixture of different influences, as within that small section there's enough to suggest Russian romantic music, jazz, early American music, etc. difficult to tell...now i'm intrigued :D

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
    one would think that with the internet you'd have no problem figuring it out, but it seems to be a rather challenging one, particularly given the size of the clip ;)

Joaco

the cronopio
    Dec 11, 2005
    The funny thing I heard that part of the chapter on the radio in the morning and I can't remember the name :D They said: "Do you recognize this track.... of course it's...". Meh...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)