Books you're reading (56 Viewers)

Fr3sh

Jul 12, 2011
Re-reading, Le Comte de Monte Cristo by Dumas for the first time since my senior year in high school. There's so much of it I wasn't able to appreciate, only 70pages in and it's ridiculously good.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
That was like the first real book I read (outside the school setting) when I was like 11, awesome adventure, thats defenitely the main reason I got into books (that and agatha christie stories, though they didnt feel like real books perse).

Reading this right now:

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
and to think dumbass wrote that :p

- - - Updated - - -

That was like the first real book I read (outside the school setting) when I was like 11, awesome adventure, thats defenitely the main reason I got into books (that and agatha christie stories, though they didnt feel like real books perse).

Reading this right now:

whats it about and how you rate it so far?

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
whats it about and how you rate it so far?
Just started it, too soon to say,quite interesting in a surreal medieval mystery way so far, here's the plot synopsis:

The book is set in Medieval England sometime near the end of the 14th century and the events described in the book take place in an unnamed village in Northern England (north of the Humber). A priest fleeing from his diocese joins up with a group of travelling players. The players are travelling toward their liege lord's castle where they are expected to play at Christmas but, short of money, they decide to stage their plays at a village en route. When a morality play from their usual repertoire fails to earn them enough money, Martin, the leader of the group convinces them to stage 'the play of Thomas Wells', a play based on the story of the murder of a young boy from the village.[2] The murderer has already been found, a young woman from the village, and the play seems simple enough, however they soon find that the facts don't fit. The line between the play and reality blurs and, line-by-line, they arrive at the truth about the murder

I bought it last year as birthday gift for my brother. I just quickly finished a sci fi teen book series called Divergent/Insurgent, and wanted some handy pocket book I can read at the train (an on work breaks), so basically took this from the shelf for being pocket size and being one of few I hadnt read yet. The book I'm reading at only home, which is too large hardback to being carrying around for casual reading, is a new historical series started by my fav historical fiction author Conn Iggulden (if you havent read his Mongol series, do it):

- - - Updated - - -

that was a shout out to shawshank man :D
Ahhh well, its one of my all time fav movies, but I'm not reference library ala Greg :D

Kate

Feb 7, 2011
I bought it last year as birthday gift for my brother. I just quickly finished a sci fi teen book series called Divergent/Insurgent, and wanted some handy pocket book I can read at the train (an on work breaks), so basically took this from the shelf for being pocket size and being one of few I hadnt read yet. The book I'm reading at only home, which is too large hardback to being carrying around for casual reading, is a new historical series started by my fav historical fiction author Conn Iggulden (if you havent read his Mongol series, do it):

- - - Updated - - -

Ahhh well, its one of my all time fav movies, but I'm not reference library ala Greg :D
How does Iggulden treat the Wars of the Roses, is it any good? My boyfriend is a big fan of his Rome books, and thought the Mongol ones were okay. I can't bring myself to read it as J told me he does take historical liberties that are a bit too much sometimes. I'm a big Edward IV/Richard III buff, and too many liberties might hurt my soul, but as you're actually reading it, what do you reckon?

Cheesio

Jul 11, 2006
Trying to get hold on this book on a PDF version if it's possible, i heard great things about it.
@Martin might be interesting to you.

La semaine où Kerviel a failli faire sauter la finance mondiale by Hugues Le Bret

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
How does Iggulden treat the Wars of the Roses, is it any good? My boyfriend is a big fan of his Rome books, and thought the Mongol ones were okay. I can't bring myself to read it as J told me he does take historical liberties that are a bit too much sometimes. I'm a big Edward IV/Richard III buff, and too many liberties might hurt my soul, but as you're actually reading it, what do you reckon?
Its too soon to say, but yes in general he takes historical liberties with some key details for better story, it stood out the most in Rome series (ofcourse since I know alot more about that period then I do Mongols), the age differences and some what if scenarios he explored that havent been close to verified (to glorify Caesar more) etc. But in general he stays in good territory (mainly annoying thing was age difference he made about Caesar and Brutus, it was unacceptable almost for me to make them the same age, when Caesar was near father figure who was almost two decades older). Rome series in general was fantastic, but I defenitely liked The Mongol series better, I guess it was just ok for you, but for me it was very refreshing reading a historical novel of a fascinating people and conquoring family that I never would imagined reading a good book or few about (historical fiction genre in general is way too western-centric). Plus the best about Conn Iggulden is his vivid battle and grit of warriors, and there's no more suitable topic then the Mongols for a writer who excells at that.

When it comes to the war of the roses, I'm only 50 pages in, so I cant say much, book been snatched by my sister :D (4-5 of my siblings read Igguldens work for last decade, so I couldnt keep it around for long lol). Plus I'm not that keyed into the historical details of the period as I would be about ancient Rome, besides knowing the bigger players etc. So I wouldnt think I would be as annoyed as you if he takes too much liberties since I wouldnt notice as much. I generally like reading historical fiction thats pre-medieval times (besides Mongol part of the world hehe). Most else feels too "modern" for me hehe.

But if you are thinking of buying it as a gift to your boyfriend, just do it, for someone who likes Iggulden, no new series of his would dissapoint them at all IMO.

Kate

Feb 7, 2011
Its too soon to say, but yes in general he takes historical liberties with some key details for better story, it stood out the most in Rome series (ofcourse since I know alot more about that period then I do Mongols), the age differences and some what if scenarios he explored that havent been close to verified (to glorify Caesar more) etc. But in general he stays in good territory (mainly annoying thing was age difference he made about Caesar and Brutus, it was unacceptable almost for me to make them the same age, when Caesar was near father figure who was almost two decades older). Rome series in general was fantastic, but I defenitely liked The Mongol series better, I guess it was just ok for you, but for me it was very refreshing reading a historical novel of a fascinating people and conquoring family that I never would imagined reading a good book or few about (historical fiction genre in general is way too western-centric). Plus the best about Conn Iggulden is his vivid battle and grit of warriors, and there's no more suitable topic then the Mongols for a writer who excells at that.

When it comes to the war of the roses, I'm only 50 pages in, so I cant say much, book been snatched by my sister :D (4-5 of my siblings read Igguldens work for last decade, so I couldnt keep it around for long lol). Plus I'm not that keyed into the historical details of the period as I would be about ancient Rome, besides knowing the bigger players etc. So I wouldnt think I would be as annoyed as you if he takes too much liberties since I wouldnt notice as much. I generally like reading historical fiction thats pre-medieval times (besides Mongol part of the world hehe). Most else feels too "modern" for me hehe.

But if you are thinking of buying it as a gift to your boyfriend, just do it, for someone who likes Iggulden, no new series of his would dissapoint them at all IMO.
I've not read the Mongol series myself, I am the opposite of you it would seem in that I prefer medieval-Renaissance historical fiction. J had told me about the Caesar/Brutus change, and that was what made me wonder if his changes might not annoy me too much :) I might get him this one at some point, but he isn't really bothered about medieval things. Maybe I'll try it myself, even if it's only to tut over his interpretations :D

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Medieval things are overdone IMO :p Oh your bf thinks Mongol one is ok, gotcha, IMO its his best series.

But Conn Iggulden is one of the better ones for historical fiction, so if you like the period, you should try him out :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 52)