Blasi and Chellini to Man City ?? (26 Viewers)

tonykart

Feb 16, 2007
everytime i watch chiellini play as LB i see the qualities for a good CB.. yet when i watch him play CB im convinced hes a LB.. it's confusing
I have the same confusion. Although, I do think he is better built for CB. If properly coached and with the right mentor, he could really blossom into a very solid CB for us. I think I have mentioned that I like the fact that we have a great young core of Italian defenders right now. Criscito, Chiellini and Molinaro could be a solid group for a long time. I hope that we use them appropriately this season.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Apr 19, 2007
Chellini is great and I think he will play where we need him the most this year. We have a very versatil defense considering grygera can play both too. Im really looking forward to see the way our defense looks this year. They have very good potential if Andrade can organize them. All i know is it relieves the pressure of a defender with buffon beside him.

Mr. Gol

Sep 15, 2004
He is not bad deffensevly as LB but offensevly he doesnt have neither the pace nor the talent to be a complete LB but everytime he played as a CB I was convinced that this guy could be one day the leader of our defense & I really like him with the Azzurrini in the last tournament!!
I actually thought he was quite fast! But being a left back involves more like defending in 2007, and Chiellini doesn't have the technique or crossing to fill that role. If he does play at the left, and Grygera (who also isn't very adventurous) plays on the right we will have a very static backline.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
I have the same confusion. Although, I do think he is better built for CB. If properly coached and with the right mentor, he could really blossom into a very solid CB for us. I think I have mentioned that I like the fact that we have a great young core of Italian defenders right now. Criscito, Chiellini and Molinaro could be a solid group for a long time. I hope that we use them appropriately this season.
Ciro Ferrara

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
Chiellini doesn't have the best technique maybe, but you just can't take the ball away from his feet. He is so strong and he has enourmous legs. He also has great stamina, he runs down the flanks like a madman and due to his tough physique noone can stop him. He is a somewhat old-fashioned fullback, but he sure has the talent and quality for that role.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Chiellini's most impressive quality has to be his physical abilities. As Dom said, he has great stamina and strength. He always gets up and wins headers and he covers the entire left flank when he's having a good game at full back. Sometimes I think he's a bit sloppy or wild but his work rate is admirable.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I don't think Chiellini will be as great as the hard master Ciro Ferrara, but he might come close if we take care with him.

I don't see a reason to sell Chiellini whatsoever and infact if we do it will just be further evidence that this board blows.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Chiellini doesn't have the best technique maybe, but you just can't take the ball away from his feet. He is so strong and he has enourmous legs. He also has great stamina, he runs down the flanks like a madman and due to his tough physique noone can stop him. He is a somewhat old-fashioned fullback, but he sure has the talent and quality for that role.
While what you say for the most part is true, defenders do take the ball away from him because he doesn't have the ball skills to dribble defenders. He's not that particulary good with the ball at his feet in my opinion and his crossing is poor sometimes, so that's why I say hey, field him centrally.

Grygera - Chiellini - Criscito - Molinaro

for the future looks good to me if we play our cards right.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Chiellini's most impressive quality has to be his physical abilities. As Dom said, he has great stamina and strength. He always gets up and wins headers and he covers the entire left flank when he's having a good game at full back. Sometimes I think he's a bit sloppy or wild but his work rate is admirable.
Chiellini's aerial ability is one of the various reasons to deploy him as a centerback.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Hold on a minute, why all the long faces when it comes to the defenders we have at our disposal.
From what I can gather, and this is based on what I have seen and read, for right back, we have Grygera, Salihamidic, Zebina and Birindelli that can play in that position. Thats a lot of players for a position I think has been the weakest in the history of football. At Centreback, we have options and different permutations of Chiellini, Andrade, Boumsong, Zebina, Legrottaglie,Criscito and Grygera. At left back we got Molinaro, Chiellini and frankly anyone who can play right back would not find left back that difficult so any of those guys can play there, maybe not regularly but they would do. I don't know much about Cricito but if he has prospects then he should be played there with someone with experience like Andrade but my prefered pairing will always be Chiellini and Andrade. Players like John Terry became good by learning off playing alongside Marcel Desailly, Cannavaro learnt a great deal by playing alongside Thuram. Maldini learnt by palying alongside the master baresi. But that does not happen in Italy as often anymore. Poor Bonera has completely lost his way because he was never paired with a great defender. Too many promising defenders are allowed to rot because instead of taking a chance on them, by playing them in the centre, they are messed about by playing in positions they are not suited to or giving them lead roles like Barzagli, how old is he, 24, 25? How do you expect someone like that to be the leader of the defence when he has not learnt his trade properly by playing a full season alongside a master? Zaccardo, who was touted as the next best thing at centre back waspushed to right back and he is not very good there. I just don't see how a players who is not comfortable witht he ball at his feet, cannot cross, is expected to play at left back. Most, if not all the best left backs that have ever lived, with a few exceptions, cannot actually defend. They earned their reputations by going forward. Now you see Materazzi enjoying an Indian summer because of the calibre of centre backs he is now paired with, both at club and international level. Is Andrade the best person to learn from? I don't know, but he is experienced enough. But it might turn out to be a waste of the young talents if we went out and bought another experienced centre back, who might end up stunting development of potential very good defenders.

tonykart

Feb 16, 2007
While what you say for the most part is true, defenders do take the ball away from him because he doesn't have the ball skills to dribble defenders. He's not that particulary good with the ball at his feet in my opinion and his crossing is poor sometimes, so that's why I say hey, field him centrally.

Grygera - Chiellini - Criscito - Molinaro

for the future looks good to me if we play our cards right.
I agree 100%. This could be a very solid backline for a very long time.

tonykart

Feb 16, 2007
Hold on a minute, why all the long faces when it comes to the defenders we have at our disposal.
From what I can gather, and this is based on what I have seen and read, for right back, we have Grygera, Salihamidic, Zebina and Birindelli that can play in that position. Thats a lot of players for a position I think has been the weakest in the history of football. At Centreback, we have options and different permutations of Chiellini, Andrade, Boumsong, Zebina, Legrottaglie,Criscito and Grygera. At left back we got Molinaro, Chiellini and frankly anyone who can play right back would not find left back that difficult so any of those guys can play there, maybe not regularly but they would do. I don't know much about Cricito but if he has prospects then he should be played there with someone with experience like Andrade but my prefered pairing will always be Chiellini and Andrade. Players like John Terry became good by learning off playing alongside Marcel Desailly, Cannavaro learnt a great deal by playing alongside Thuram. Maldini learnt by palying alongside the master baresi. But that does not happen in Italy as often anymore. Poor Bonera has completely lost his way because he was never paired with a great defender. Too many promising defenders are allowed to rot because instead of taking a chance on them, by playing them in the centre, they are messed about by playing in positions they are not suited to or giving them lead roles like Barzagli, how old is he, 24, 25? How do you expect someone like that to be the leader of the defence when he has not learnt his trade properly by playing a full season alongside a master? Zaccardo, who was touted as the next best thing at centre back waspushed to right back and he is not very good there. I just don't see how a players who is not comfortable witht he ball at his feet, cannot cross, is expected to play at left back. Most, if not all the best left backs that have ever lived, with a few exceptions, cannot actually defend. They earned their reputations by going forward. Now you see Materazzi enjoying an Indian summer because of the calibre of centre backs he is now paired with, both at club and international level. Is Andrade the best person to learn from? I don't know, but he is experienced enough. But it might turn out to be a waste of the young talents if we went out and bought another experienced centre back, who might end up stunting development of potential very good defenders.
Excellent post.

David01

Aug 20, 2006
I just do not understand why a player of his quality would like to go to Man. City. Money? I think we pay good, regular place? there is not so much competion at left back or even in the center. Fact is Man City never were a top team and they never will be. The best they can hope for is cup glory or a qualification for Europe, and this will be very hard with the likes of Chelsea, ManU, Arsenal, Newcastle, Tottenham...
No I cannot understand why a young ambitious, talented player would ever change teams when he is on the verge of becoming a Juventus regular.
Not for Manchester City anyway

tonykart

Feb 16, 2007
I just do not understand why a player of his quality would like to go to Man. City. Money? I think we pay good, regular place? there is not so much competion at left back or even in the center. Fact is Man City never were a top team and they never will be. The best they can hope for is cup glory or a qualification for Europe, and this will be very hard with the likes of Chelsea, ManU, Arsenal, Newcastle, Tottenham...
No I cannot understand why a young ambitious, talented player would ever change teams when he is on the verge of becoming a Juventus regular.
Not for Manchester City anyway
He is clearly just a pissed off 22 year old, who he and the management is too stubborn to sit down and work things out. Ranieri's love affair with Molinaro has clearly made Chiellini (like a child) jealous. I think it is obvious to everyone in the living world that he will either be a starting CB or a startling LB... for him to bitch about not being a starter says that there is some serious stuff we don't know about going on. We need to keep Chiellini, it would be a waste of an amazing young talent.

Sep 19, 2006
Nice post but unfortunatly I dont think Andrade is the best person to learn from!! He is a good defender but he is not a world class one & from what I saw from him with Depor & Portugal,I dont think he is the kind of person who can lead a Defence & give advices to our young defenders,he was always the 2nd guy in the defence & he improved a lot by learning from Nour el Dine el Naybet at Depor but lets wait & see,I hope he prooves me wrong!!

Mar 28, 2007
Reports in England suggest that Juventus defender Giorgio Chiellini could sign for Manchester City this weekend in a £7m deal.

The full-back was linked with Liverpool earlier in the summer and seems certain to leave after complaining that he felt neglected by the Bianconeri, who had only focused on renewing the contracts of their star names.

The Tuscan stopper’s agent Davide Lippi then confirmed that his client might leave Turin if it became clear that he would have limited playing time next term.

According to BBC Sport, Manchester City hope to finalise Chiellini’s signing in the next few days, adding to their Italian contingent along with Rolando Bianchi and Bernardo Corradi.

New Coach Sven Goran Eriksson, who has cash at his disposal from former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, is keen to complete the signing as soon as possible.

However, they could face competition from Liverpool if their bid to sign Gabriel Heinze from Manchester United were to fail.

channel4.com

damn.. =/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 26)