Batman V Superman and the DC Cinematic Universe (4 Viewers)

OP
BIG DADDY!!!

BIG DADDY!!!

Mar 12, 2004
  • Thread Starter #181
    When I mean taking liberties I mean changing things slightly.

Doomsday was created a million years before Krypton was a habitual planet and was made the ultimate evolutionary killing machine.

Lex manages it by slicing his wrist and cracking an advanced alien races technology within hours.

I think this entire film was poorly written and for should of had a far better storyline.

Buy on AliExpress.com

radekas

( ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)
    Aug 26, 2009
    Damn, need to stay out of this thread till Monday when I see the movie (doesn't come out in Poland till 1st April :|, at least I got to the pre-release on Monday). Too many spoilers already.

See you later.

Jul 10, 2006
    One of the better comic movies i've seen in recent years. I understand yesterday how important it is to see these kind of movies at the cinema to enjoy them on the big screen. I think Affleck as Batman was better then i expected. Alfred was meh, Lois was good, Lex was not scary at all but we knew that from the trailer..
    Lex was actually my second favorite character in the movie after Superman. He's not supposed to be physically intimidating or scary in that way. He character is scary because of the atrocities he is willing to undertake to reach his goals. In the same way, you probably wouldn't be scared of Heinrich Himmler himself, but the way he wielded the SS to further his own personal goals is absolutely terrifying.

OP
    BIG DADDY!!!

BIG DADDY!!!

Mar 12, 2004
  • Thread Starter #186
    Think Lex over did his role in many scenes.

Don't get me wrong he had his moments but went a bit over the top at times especially at the end.

catch22

Aug 23, 2015
    I thought Ben was the best Batman we've seen. Made me excited for a solo Batman film with him directing. Zack Snyder needs someone to make sure he keeps the story on track for Justice League though, because this movie had all the ingredients of a good film, but it ended up being a deeply flawed film with trying to juggle too many different stories at once. Mixed in with some bad editing and average CGI it ended up a bit of a mess

Also, Alfred meh? Best Alfred ever. Jeremy Irons was great

Osman

Koul Khara!
    Aug 30, 2002
    Good spectacle that could been great if I didn't turn messy and edited by a 12 year old.

Change Zach Snyder as director or just keep him for action scenes and give writing and editing to someone who makes a coherent full feature.

so Ding ding ding, that's referring to the Joker right?
    Darkseid.

catch22

Aug 23, 2015
    A lot of the critics who has been laying into the film have raved about his performance. I think people want to dislike Ben Affleck, but most things he has done recently have been pretty good. Gone Girl, Gone Baby Gone, Argo, The Town etc. Personally I'm not a huge fan of Christian's Bale Batman and was more of a Keaton fan myself. Although, I think the Batman from the animated series is pretty fantastic too

As for Ben in this movie he was a great Batman and Bruce Wayne. I thought Bale was a good Bruce Wayne but a shitty Batman. Affleck was dark, brooding, and tormented, but while being charismatic and aloof. He was Batman. Couldn't ask for much more. The movie itself...not so perfect.

Jul 10, 2006
    A lot of the critics who has been laying into the film have raved about his performance. I think people want to dislike Ben Affleck, but most things he has done recently have been pretty good. Gone Girl, Gone Baby Gone, Argo, The Town etc. Personally I'm not a huge fan of Christian's Bale Batman and was more of a Keaton fan myself. Although, I think the Batman from the animated series is pretty fantastic too

As for Ben in this movie he was a great Batman and Bruce Wayne. I thought Bale was a good Bruce Wayne but a shitty Batman. Affleck was dark, brooding, and tormented, but while being charismatic and aloof. He was Batman. Couldn't ask for much more. The movie itself...not so perfect.
    I'm not a huge fan of Ben, but I loved The Town, Gone Girl and some other things he has done. But he's not even top 5 Batman.

Keaton was the best, by far.

OP
    BIG DADDY!!!

BIG DADDY!!!

Mar 12, 2004
  • Thread Starter #192
    Went to see Man Of Steel/BVS double bill last night so heres my thoughts. I tried to just post my basic thoughts but ended up writing one long ass review so my apologies :D

I'll just post the positives here and the negatives with spoiler tags so if you haven't seen the movie yet DO NOT read it the negatives.

First off I loved Afflecks take on Bruce Wayne/Batman. He was ferocious and menacing and fought very brutally. Those fight scenes as well as the chases in the Batmobile were straight out of the Arkham games. Probably the best on screen adoption yet.

Superman was great and think Henry Cavill has yet again gave a solid portrayal as its hard to top Christopher Reeve. I've always loved Batman first and Superman second but since MOS my loyalty's been questioned and it was seriously challenged again after they started battling each other.

To be honest I had never seen act or even heard of Gal Godot until she was cast at Wonder Woman but man im impressed. She hasn't many lines but when she showed up she put a smile on my face and I loved how she didn't hesitate to jump head first into battle fearless just like she is in the comics. (plus shes soo hot!) :D

Didn't like Louis Lane in MOS but really liked her in this and loved the chemistry between her and Clark (something MOS lacked imo)

Lex was confusing and his behaviour erratic and over the top at times. Few scenes I liked but I really do think Jessie Eissenberg was a poor casting choice though I don't blame WB from wanting to take a different approach to the character but for me this version isn't just menacing enough and doesn't have enough back story.

Jeremy Irons was great as Alfred and I enjoyed his dialogue with Affleck which had a little comic relief.

Doomsdays back story was all wrong but looked great at times
    though one time he reminded me of King Kong especially when the he stood on top of the building growling and the fighter jets were shooting at him

Think the PR department at WB messed up big time on what they decided to show in the trailers as all the most memorable moments were already shown in them and the film lost the element of surprise. I blame myself for this too as I constantly binged watched all the trailers/tv spots constantly so I wasn't seeing anything I hadn't already seen so was disappointed when they didn't show anything new aside from the Doomsday fight of course. (Imagine not seeing any trailers then seeing all those fight seens and Wonder Woman/Doomsday showing up? Man I think I would of just broke down and cried tears of joy in the theatre)

Lex's motivation for hating Superman just felt so rushed. Their relationship is very complex (even more so than Batman/Joker) and they didn't explore it at all. Hated how easily he got access to Zods body and easily figures out the Kryptonian technology. Then for some unknown reason in a matter of hours creates Doomsday and unleashes him on Metropolis again without us knowing his motivation.

Also think they killed Superman off way to early in the franchise. He certainly needed more films to show how much the world loved him and how he was a hero and symbol of hope that people needed so when he died it would come more of a devastating loss. I mean he's was pretty much the villain to most in this film and once he comes back in future releases and faces Darkseid etc they will hardly be able to kill him again so the stakes won't be as high.

A few more films where hes saved people a bit more would of made his death more shocking to the the world including the viewer as we would of built up an emotional attachment to the character then they could of had a funeral he deserves with all the Justice League present.

Hated how the Justice league members were introduced. (I mean Marvel took 10 films while DC took 10 minutes)

Bruce Wayne somehow sending Wonder Woman an email with a picture saying is this you :lol:

Louis throwing the Kryptonite staff in the water then trying to retrieve it and almost drowning needing Superman to save her.

And did Batman really trail Superman around the room with rope by the feet and say something along the lines of " bet your parents told you when you were young you were special well I had no parents"? He just sounded like a brat looking sympathy :lol:

The MOS themes played when Superman was screen but can't recall Batman having any distinctive theme music. May have to watch again though.

Thought a lot of the characters motivations and development were questionable and it had kind of a messy plot. Very poor writing.

I really loved MOS and I enjoyed watching it again in the cinema again more than I did this movie but I still liked a lot of things about but even though you can't question him visually I just don't know if I trust the franchise in Snyders hands after the road they have chosen to go down. Though DC and WB have chosen this path and they will have to see it through.

I did enjoy it though despite those negative moments but not as much as I had hoped and I've lived and breathed this movie from the day it was announced to come out at Comic Con. And I am a huge DC fan.
    7/10

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
    Aug 27, 2008
    Good spectacle that could been great if I didn't turn messy and edited by a 12 year old.

Change Zach Snyder as director or just keep him for action scenes and give writing and editing to someone who makes a coherent full feature.

Darkseid.
    They should get Ben to write and direct one. Will definitely be better than Zack 'I made a good movie a decade ago' Snyder.

Apr 15, 2006
    Just got back from my 2nd viewing and saw that it earned more than Avengers, Ultron, Iron Man 3 and Dark Knight in Thursday preview revenue. :tup:

Went to see Man Of Steel/BVS double bill last night so heres my thoughts. I tried to just post my basic thoughts but ended up writing one long ass review so my apologies :D

I'll just post the positives here and the negatives with spoiler tags so if you haven't seen the movie yet DO NOT read it the negatives.

First off I loved Afflecks take on Bruce Wayne/Batman. He was ferocious and menacing and fought very brutally. Those fight scenes as well as the chases in the Batmobile were straight out of the Arkham games. Probably the best on screen adoption yet.

Superman was great and think Henry Cavill has yet again gave a solid portrayal as its hard to top Christopher Reeve. I've always loved Batman first and Superman second but since MOS my loyalty's been questioned and it was seriously challenged again after they started battling each other.

To be honest I had never seen act or even heard of Gal Godot until she was cast at Wonder Woman but man im impressed. She hasn't many lines but when she showed up she put a smile on my face and I loved how she didn't hesitate to jump head first into battle fearless just like she is in the comics. (plus shes soo hot!) :D

Didn't like Louis Lane in MOS but really liked her in this and loved the chemistry between her and Clark (something MOS lacked imo)

Lex was confusing and his behaviour erratic and over the top at times. Few scenes I liked but I really do think Jessie Eissenberg was a poor casting choice though I don't blame WB from wanting to take a different approach to the character but for me this version isn't just menacing enough and doesn't have enough back story.

Jeremy Irons was great as Alfred and I enjoyed his dialogue with Affleck which had a little comic relief.

Doomsdays back story was all wrong but looked great at times
    though one time he reminded me of King Kong especially when the he stood on top of the building growling and the fighter jets were shooting at him

Think the PR department at WB messed up big time on what they decided to show in the trailers as all the most memorable moments were already shown in them and the film lost the element of surprise. I blame myself for this too as I constantly binged watched all the trailers/tv spots constantly so I wasn't seeing anything I hadn't already seen so was disappointed when they didn't show anything new aside from the Doomsday fight of course. (Imagine not seeing any trailers then seeing all those fight seens and Wonder Woman/Doomsday showing up? Man I think I would of just broke down and cried tears of joy in the theatre)

Lex's motivation for hating Superman just felt so rushed. Their relationship is very complex (even more so than Batman/Joker) and they didn't explore it at all. Hated how easily he got access to Zods body and easily figures out the Kryptonian technology. Then for some unknown reason in a matter of hours creates Doomsday and unleashes him on Metropolis again without us knowing his motivation.

Also think they killed Superman off way to early in the franchise. He certainly needed more films to show how much the world loved him and how he was a hero and symbol of hope that people needed so when he died it would come more of a devastating loss. I mean he's was pretty much the villain to most in this film and once he comes back in future releases and faces Darkseid etc they will hardly be able to kill him again so the stakes won't be as high.

A few more films where hes saved people a bit more would of made his death more shocking to the the world including the viewer as we would of built up an emotional attachment to the character then they could of had a funeral he deserves with all the Justice League present.

Hated how the Justice league members were introduced. (I mean Marvel took 10 films while DC took 10 minutes)

Bruce Wayne somehow sending Wonder Woman an email with a picture saying is this you :lol:

Louis throwing the Kryptonite staff in the water then trying to retrieve it and almost drowning needing Superman to save her.

And did Batman really trail Superman around the room with rope by the feet and say something along the lines of " bet your parents told you when you were young you were special well I had no parents"? He just sounded like a brat looking sympathy :lol:

The MOS themes played when Superman was screen but can't recall Batman having any distinctive theme music. May have to watch again though.

Thought a lot of the characters motivations and development were questionable and it had kind of a messy plot. Very poor writing.

I really loved MOS and I enjoyed watching it again in the cinema again more than I did this movie but I still liked a lot of things about but even though you can't question him visually I just don't know if I trust the franchise in Snyders hands after the road they have chosen to go down. Though DC and WB have chosen this path and they will have to see it through.

I did enjoy it though despite those negative moments but not as much as I had hoped and I've lived and breathed this movie from the day it was announced to come out at Comic Con. And I am a huge DC fan.
    7/10
    Well, here's my thoughts on your negatives, as I mostly agree with the positives:

What relationship are you talking about? This is the first time Superman went head-to-head with Lex. How complex do you expect the relationship to be? It's only getting started. And I think they did enough to explain Lex's motivation. It was right there in the trailers. And if it still isn't clear, then remember what he says to Supes after telling him he's kidnapped Martha and wants Batman's head: that he controls Superman. And Lex begins creating Doomsday after Batman steals the Kryptonite from him. He clearly needed another weapon after he lost the Kryptonite.

Cos DC doesn't have the luxury of shooting 10 films before BvS. Duh! I think they did well to introduce them via Lex's investigation into metahumans. I first felt their introduction was somewhat sudden and rushed, but on 2nd viewing, it's the best that could be done.

Again, they don't have the luxury of shooting a few more films to do that. They managed to show the attachment via the cheering crowd at the senate hearing as well as the montage where he saves the exploding rocket and that girl from the Day of the Dead event where the people swarm over him. Plus, his death after fighting Doomsday follows the comics. So understandable why Chris Terrio chose this story line.

No, he says "this IS you!" And he sends it to her because she TELLS him she was looking for the pic in the first place. It's the reason why she was tracking Lex. Although this makes Batman's line "I thought she was with you" confusing cos he knows who she is.

Yea, that was just stupid. Plus, how did she know she'll need the spear again? The only reason I can think of is that Zack wanted a final intimate scene between Supes and Lois shortly before his death.

The MOS themes played when Superman was screen but can't recall Batman having any distinctive theme music.

Probably, but the soundtrack has a Batman suite.

One of the reasons I think this is the case is due to the 30 mins of footage that was cut from the final product. I have a feeling that the Ultimate edition might fix this problem.

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
    Dec 27, 2005
    Solid/not bad movie, too damn long and to many stupid dreams, also too many cringe worthy scenes like "Martha", all in all I admire Sheiks will to watch it again, as I couldn't in million years.

Apr 15, 2006
    Solid/not bad movie, too damn long and to many stupid dreams, also too many cringe worthy scenes like "Martha", all in all I admire Sheiks will to watch it again, as I couldn't in million years.
    I'm gonna watch it again on Sunday, but that's about it for the theatrical version. The only thing I'm seeing next is the extended cut. I expect that to be much better.

OP
    BIG DADDY!!!

BIG DADDY!!!

Mar 12, 2004
  • Thread Starter #199
    @Sheik Yerbouti
    What relationship are you talking about? This is the first time Superman went head-to-head with Lex. How complex do you expect the relationship to be? It's only getting started. And I think they did enough to explain Lex's motivation. It was right there in the trailers. And if it still isn't clear, then remember what he says to Supes after telling him he's kidnapped Martha and wants Batman's head: that he controls Superman. And Lex begins creating Doomsday after Batman steals the Kryptonite from him. He clearly needed another weapon after he lost the Kryptonite.

The only reason it gives in the movie is that he fears Superman might become a dictator of some sort. Says nothing about his obsession with Superman because he is more powerful and more loved than he is. Lex hates the fact that no matter how successful he is Superman will always one step ahead and that hurts his ego. That the human race have reached their evolutionary ceiling. He also can't stand that an alien is meddling in human affairs. The movie never touches on any of this and I know how you say its their first meeting which illustrates my point that there shouldn't be enough hatred this early for him to unleash death on Metropolis (a city he helped rebuild) by unleashing Doomsday. Lex is smarter than that and now that we know he knows about 'Meta humans' and possibly Darkseid he reallly should see the bigger picture.

Cos DC doesn't have the luxury of shooting 10 films before BvS. Duh! I think they did well to introduce them via Lex's investigation into metahumans. I first felt their introduction was somewhat sudden and rushed, but on 2nd viewing, it's the best that could be done.

Ahem excuse me lol no one put a gun to WB executives heads and says you have to have a Justice League film in 2017 and you only have 3 years to set it up. WB announced this slate themselves and gave themselves no option but to do a rush job. How about instead of Justice League in 2017 they put the Flash movie there followed by Aquaman then they could put JL part 1 in the slot where the Flash was originally supposed to be in 2018? Thats 2 origin films with already BM, SM and WW already done. Then do Green Lantern, Cyborg then Justice part 2 in 2020? The way it stands now we'll already of seen 2 JL films before Green Lantern and Cyborg have even had their solo movies and for me that is a disgrace and its all WB own doing as their just thinking about the cash cow and not structuring their films.

Again, they don't have the luxury of shooting a few more films to do that. They managed to show the attachment via the cheering crowd at the senate hearing as well as the montage where he saves the exploding rocket and that girl from the Day of the Dead event where the people swarm over him. Plus, his death after fighting Doomsday follows the comics. So understandable why Chris Terrio chose this story line.

Thats another thing that ruined the film for me. The Death of Superman is the biggest story arc the character has and there was plenty of time to put that in the franchise but WB opted to do it far too soon. No we're going to go into JL without him for maybe the first hour then needing to recruit Aquaman, Cyborg and the Flash then Superman will need resurrected and that will just impact the pace of the movie. Another thing is you can only kill Superman once and that means when he faces another threat we won't be as emotionally invested as we will know his death has already been done.

No, he says "this IS you!" And he sends it to her because she TELLS him she was looking for the pic in the first place.
    [/QUOTE]

Can't really remember as I only seen the movie once. Going again next week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)