Baltimore Riots/Freddie Gray (9 Viewers)

OP

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
  • Thread Starter #63
    You aren't American so you can say that.

- - - Updated - - -

:D

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    Indeed.

To answer where I was going...the trend of many of these riots/violent protests have fallen in communities of AA. Saying that, according to some (not sure anyone here on Tuz) could be interpreted as racist. No intent or belief in the comment other than general observation.
    There is nothing wrong with that statement. Black communities were some of the hardest hit by the recession and therefore some of the poorest and most frustrated communities in the nation. I mean really, would you expect a riot in Owings Mills or Ellicott City? No way. In Baltimore things have been this way for decades, that is part of the reason Baltimore competes for murder capital of the US year in and year out. I think people concentrate too much on race in these things. People are pissed at the police but the police are an easy target for obvious reasons. They happen to represent a city that has let them down and now things are just exploding. Mind you Baltimores mayor is black and so are most members of the city government. It would not surprise me to see things like this continue until folks address certain issues such as economics, education, business infrastructure.

- - - Updated - - -

I know, you can't say anything in America without someone getting hurt and an ensuing lawsuit
    You can.

OP

Hust

Hustini
    May 29, 2005
  • Thread Starter #68
    There is nothing wrong with that statement. Black communities were some of the hardest hit by the recession and therefore some of the poorest and most frustrated communities in the nation. I mean really, would you expect a riot in Owings Mills or Ellicott City? No way. In Baltimore things have been this way for decades, that is part of the reason Baltimore competes for murder capital of the US year in and year out. I think people concentrate too much on race in these things. People are pissed at the police but the police are an easy target for obvious reasons. They happen to represent a city that has let them down and now things are just exploding. Mind you Baltimores mayor is black and so are most members of the city government. It would not surprise me to see things like this continue until folks address certain issues such as economics, education, business infrastructure.
    Because everything is still black and white (literally) to so many people its hard to get the idea that something is taboo out of your mind. My best friend is black and its hard to talk about this stuff without thinking in the back of my mind does he think I think down of all black people?

Education is absolutely the biggest concern here. These kids (when you even listen to them in an ordinary conversation)sound like idiots. Their basic English is barely even English. They grow up in broken homes with parents that do little to get them to fit into mainstream society rather coerce them into blending into their mini-communities rather than give them the tools to break out of that barrier. Call me a damn republican but having family & religion as the foundation for any small community makes a huge difference IMO. I will be slammed for it, probably someone either Belgian or Danish would be my guess :)D) but the fabric of our society is different than that of Europe. Looking at minorities I'd put my money on a latin kid making it out of poverty long before I ever put my money on a black kid unless he has some insane athletic ability otherwise you can pretty much bet how things will turn out for a specific youth.

I liken these things to the same people protesting a 15 dollar an hour job flipping burgers. 15 dollars an hour was what I made starting out as an assistant manager in retail where I actually managed peoples growth, raises, futures, etc. People want that to flip burgers and no way should they get paid that much. Sure raise the minimum wage but not to 15 an hour because it doesn't incentivize people to do better than flip burgers.

The only thing that has let these people down in Baltimore are the policies that have been in place and politicians. Now mind you I never lived there, like you have, but listening to this O'Malley guy you sorta see where I'm going. Says a lot that Maryland, a massive Democrat state, voted out a Democrat and in with a republican. They were tired of the same old shit not getting better.

Are you familiar with Arundel Mills? Not in Baltimore but close to BWI...I had one of my cell phone stores there that I managed. Only staff I could hired was black, because that is all that applied for that location. 3 out of the 5 of the employees that were there when I took over that location either stole or had stolen which I found out through audits and CCTV. Its the norm. Until youth are raised with morals/ethics, education is addressed and the business climate is improved there will be nothing good to come of it.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Word to that. As bad as police brutality is, the issue is more socio-economic than race, more economic opportunity than police. A high school kid in Baltimore who supposedly vents his frustration by throwing cinder blocks at cops may carry a few scars from run-ins with the cops, or he may not, depending on who or what he's been involved with. But the scars of living in poverty, having no job opportunities, no food on the table, no community investment and a city that neglects them, no future ... now those make any police-related scarrings seem small by comparison.

OP

Hust

Hustini
    May 29, 2005
  • Thread Starter #71
    Word to that. As bad as police brutality is, the issue is more socio-economic than race, more economic opportunity than police. A high school kid in Baltimore who supposedly vents his frustration by throwing cinder blocks at cops may carry a few scars from run-ins with the cops, or he may not, depending on who or what he's been involved with. But the scars of living in poverty, having no job opportunities, no food on the table, no community investment and a city that neglects them, no future ... now those make any police-related scarrings seem small by comparison.
    Read what the Orioles VP said. I forgot you also lived around here. Interesting comments he has...

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2015...ment-on-twitter-following-baltimore-protests/

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Read what the Orioles VP said. I forgot you also lived around here. Interesting comments he has...

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2015...ment-on-twitter-following-baltimore-protests/
    Yeah, I was a suburban Baltimoron for a couple of years and often spent time up in and throughout the city.

Bold post. I mostly agree with it, save that it's businesses not gubment masters that primarily shipped decent middle class blue collar jobs overseas. And you could also argue that if they didn't, many said businesses would no longer exist as foreign competition would eat them alive.

You can give lip service to the old "buy American" trope. But as long as people in these communities seek out the lowest prices at the local Wal-Mart and don't connect it to their own employment situation, they are purchasing their way out of jobs. Everybody plays a responsibility in their own economic viability, and you can't just throw your hands in the air saying that it's all the gubments fault or all big biznesses fault and they play no role.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Interesting to see a lot of the people being interviewed in Balto on TV wearing Under Armor logos, etc, given how they're a major local business.

So they're talking about playing tomorrow's baseball game with the stadium closed to fans. It's also interesting to see Americans bewilderingly grapple with this concept where it seems to happen every season in a Serie A.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)