Baltimore Riots/Freddie Gray (3 Viewers)

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
Curfew? Really? And people accept that in the States? I don't understand.. If you're all so liberal and keep fighting for liberal rights, how on Earth could you accept something like that? I mean, you consider us Europeans commies, but curfew would be completely unacceptable in Belgium.
Only when it comes to economy.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Curfew? Really? And people accept that in the States? I don't understand.. If you're all so liberal and keep fighting for liberal rights, how on Earth could you accept something like that? I mean, you consider us Europeans commies, but curfew would be completely unacceptable in Belgium.
You know they were blowing shit up right? Come on buddy, you're smarter than that.

I'm assuming all these people will be identified and given the appropriate punishment? In London the police were actually very harsh (in terms of UK sentencing) with what they handed out to people, to act as a deterrent.
Impossible, we don't have nearly the camera set up here.

Also, people need to realize that Baltimore has always had tons of race issues and has pretty much been a boiling pot of angry. Especially in the summer months. Except the violence is usually kept in the respective communities. All this served, was to unite all the assholes.

I remember doing an urban forestry project there one summer and it was a smattering of middle class neighborhoods, gentrified hipster neighborhoods, white trash neighborhoods, and places that make the Wire look like Disneyland. And there's no like "this part of town is nice and this half of the city is bad". It's like a patchwork of crazy. For example, you could grab a coffee at some hipster boutique and then go a couple blocks a be like "oh shit, was that Snoop".

Joe

Dec 20, 2009
Just wanted to share my opinion on this, this issue pissed me off.

This is just an excuse for the poorer families of Baltimore to loot.

How does this help Gray's case? What is this doing to help anything? These "protesters" aren't protesters, they're a bunch of idiots using it as excuse for a thrill and to put some food on the table. They don't care about Freddie Gray.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Impossible, we don't have nearly the camera set up here.

Also, people need to realize that Baltimore has always had tons of race issues and has pretty much been a boiling pot of angry. Especially in the summer months. Except the violence is usually kept in the respective communities. All this served, was to unite all the assholes.

I remember doing an urban forestry project there one summer and it was a smattering of middle class neighborhoods, gentrified hipster neighborhoods, white trash neighborhoods, and places that make the Wire look like Disneyland. And there's no like "this part of town is nice and this half of the city is bad". It's like a patchwork of crazy. For example, you could grab a coffee at some hipster boutique and then go a couple blocks a be like "oh shit, was that Snoop".
But at least the ones dumb enough to be caught smiling on photos with stolen goods in their hands / smashing, burning, assaulting, etc?

Slightly OT but I remember Tupac grew up in Baltimore, and it was quite apparent that the area had a history of race issues during that time (assume it would have been 80s, in that case). I'm obviously not comparing Baltimore to London, the US has some serious societal and educational issues if you can go from Manhattan to Mogadishu in 5 minutes. It seems like certain places are just waiting for trouble.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
But at least the ones dumb enough to be caught smiling on photos with stolen goods in their hands / smashing, burning, assaulting, etc?

Slightly OT but I remember Tupac grew up in Baltimore, and it was quite apparent that the area had a history of race issues during that time (assume it would have been 80s, in that case). I'm obviously not comparing Baltimore to London, the US obviously has some serious societal and educational issues if you can go from Manhattan to Mogadishu in 5 minutes. It seems like certain places are just waiting for trouble.
To be fair there are only like 5 nice areas in Baltimore and all anyone who doesn't live there really cares about is the Inner Harbor.

But yeah, some of the people who have pictures and whatnot of them doing dastardly deeds will get arrested but a large percentage will not. People know that, and that's why they're out there.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
The last gentleman in the press conference actually said something worthwhile. He said those fools are "cowards" and didn't refer to them as "protestors." That's a good start, now start using all that high-tech machinery on those fuckers that the government gave you!

The mayor is getting grilled on inciting violence through her office's actions. Good.
It irritated me too. I heard CNN calling them "protesters" and was thinking WTF?

If I set my neighbor's house on fire and rape all his children, does that make me a protestor too?

"We're doing it the wrong way, BUT we gotta get justice, not gonna settle down without dat justice."

There ya go. Get dat justice main.
I know people aren't rational when it comes to acting like this. But I have a hard time trying to understand why the investigation into the death of a total stranger in police custody who shares only your skin color becomes more important than not burning down your neighborhood, destroying businesses, and eliminating the few jobs in the area you have.

Even if you subscribe to the theory that all cops hate all black people and persecute them, how is fixing that going to even amount to a fraction of the quality of life lost in destroying your town and its economic future?

It's amazing watching this. I ask myself what would I do if people drove from out of town to take advantage of an opportunity and started burning down my neighborhood and looting homes and businesses.
I'd arm up my second amendment rights like Koreatown during the Rodney King riots, that's for sure.

That's why one of the city nicknames is Mobtown. Since the 1830s.

Because its a step short of martial law.

This mother knows how to handle her son.
:lol: Awesome. For a minute I thought I was watching an ep of Jerry Springer.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
But yeah, some of the people who have pictures and whatnot of them doing dastardly deeds will get arrested but a large percentage will not. People know that, and that's why they're out there.
Just can't be bothered, man power, don't want to incite further 'police racism' (laugh), what are the reasons for this?

OP

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
  • Thread Starter #54

Slightly OT but I remember Tupac grew up in Baltimore, and it was quite apparent that the area had a history of race issues during that time (assume it would have been 80s, in that case). I'm obviously not comparing Baltimore to London, the US has some serious societal and educational issues if you can go from Manhattan to Mogadishu in 5 minutes. It seems like certain places are just waiting for trouble.
    It's hard elaborate on the last 2 sentences without sounding racist.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    We let the police arrest people when they commit crimes.
    We do to Jimmy.

- - - Updated - - -

It's hard elaborate on the last 2 sentences without sounding racist.
    Then maybe you´re racist.

- - - Updated - - -

Just can't be bothered, man power, don't want to incite further 'police racism' (laugh), what are the reasons for this?
    Little bit of all of that. Then there are the people you cant identify from the photos or arent in them.

OP

Hust

Hustini
    May 29, 2005
  • Thread Starter #57
    Being racist isn't the same as someone else interpreting what you're saying as racist :D

OP

Hust

Hustini
    May 29, 2005
  • Thread Starter #59
    For me, racism is more about intent and belief. You can say something racial without it being racist.
    Indeed.

To answer where I was going...the trend of many of these riots/violent protests have fallen in communities of AA. Saying that, according to some (not sure anyone here on Tuz) could be interpreted as racist. No intent or belief in the comment other than general observation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)