Baltimore Riots/Freddie Gray (5 Viewers)

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Again? :shifty:

This is possibly the first time I have posted in this thread and I have not followed the riots in America.

Was simply asking a question on whether there were riots because the police seem to be trigger happy. Thanks for the background info though.
Sorry, wasn't really aimed at you :D Poorly worded, kinda meant that a lot people in general once more fail to see the main issue that sparked the protests. But don't know why I formulated it the way that I did.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
were there any riots / protests about this?
Yes, the whites looted several stores in downtown New Orleans, yelling "down with n***** cops!" along the way.

Of course not!

And again you miss the point behind all the discussions and controversy about the Zimmerman, Freddy Gray, Trayvon Martin, Eric Garner cases. The problem isn't primarily that unarmed (afroamerican) people get shot by police/security forces, but that these killings have next to no legal consequences for the shooters. That is what people are rightfully very concerned about, because that makes the problem, whether you want to label it racism or police officers shooting too recklessly in general, institutional.

In the case Bjerknes posted, those two are probably going to jail. Doesn't make things any better for the victim and their families, but all the protests were primarily about the fact that the officers weren't apprehended.
The cops in Baltimore were indicted, and it's not quite clear what happened. The other folks apart from Trayvon were breaking the law, but Trayvon was proven to have attacked the guy. Being "rightfully concerned" doesn't mean rioting in the streets and accusing everybody of being racist. They have no credibility whatsoever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)