OP
Jethro

Jethro

Mar 6, 2018
  • Thread Starter #22
    Robert Lewandowski now has:
    • The most goals in 2021/22 (15)
    • The most goals for club in 2021 (43)
    • The most goals for club & country in 2021 (52)
    • The most goal involvements in 2021 (60)

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
    Robert Lewandowski now has:
    • The most goals in 2021/22 (15)
    • The most goals for club in 2021 (43)
    • The most goals for club & country in 2021 (52)
    • The most goal involvements in 2021 (60)
    *The 0 (zero) World Cup goals

- - - Updated - - -

2 ballon dors should be given, one for each.
    2 clown noses should be given, one for each

Strickland

May 17, 2019
    Lewa shouldve won it last year. This year Id give it to Jorginho. However, given that they made the retarded decision of cancelling it last year, give it to Lewa

Strickland

May 17, 2019
    Sivori
    Rivera
    Rossi
    Baggio
    Cannavaro
    Jorginho

B81 gonna lose it
    I didnt see Baggio's best years or the other oldies on the list, but Jorginho 20/21 and Cannavaro 05/06 belong in the same sentence, nothing funny there. Both very good players that had a WC season or two at their peak.

Strickland

May 17, 2019
    Lmao. Fagjinho is a quality player no doubt, but comparing him to one of the best defenders to ever play the game is laughable. Cannavaro is a Lambo Aventador, while Fagjinho is a Jeep Wrangler.
    Cannavaro one of the best defenders to ever play the game? Really? I didnt watch him at Parma and Napoli in the 90ties, but from what I did see in the 00ies he was underwhelming ar Inter, great at Juve for 2 seasons, underwhelming at Real and mediocre at Juve the 2nd time.

There are several defenders from his gen Id pick ahead of Cannavaro (let alone all time), but obviously his Ballon dOr was deserved, great season.

Last edited:

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
    Jan 26, 2009
    Cannavaro one of the best defenders to ever play the game? Really? I didnt watch him at Parma and Napoli in the 90ties, but from what I did see in the 00ies he was underwhelming ar Inter, great at Juve for 2 seasons, underwhelming at Real and mediocre at Juve the 2nd time.

There are several defenders from his gen Id pick ahead of Cannavaro (let alone all time), but obviously his Ballon dOr was deserved, great season.
    He was immense for Parma Bro. Take my word for it. He was definitely one of the best in his generation, although I always rated Nesta as the better defender.

He was also very solid for Juventus in his first stint here (2004-2006).

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    He was immense for Parma Bro. Take my word for it. He was definitely one of the best in his generation, although I always rated Nesta as the better defender.

Agree, Nesta was better but Cannavaro was absolutely world class. Many players failed at at Inter in those days. Cannavaro's problem was that in his peak years he had Inter then pre-Calciopoli Juve and then moving to a RM team who set up badly for him. By the time he rejoined Juve again we were also fairly mediocre and he was in decline. If he could have had 5 or 6 years at Juve in A he could have been a quality veteran by the end of his career.

Strickland

May 17, 2019

Just from the top of my head, from what I saw of them I liked Nesta, Maldini, Puyol, Thuram, Stam, Campbell (and probably others I'm forgetting) more than Canna, thats why I was surprised to see you claim him as one if the best defenders of all time as I wouldnt even put him top3 in his gen. For me his 05/06 was legendary, his career ( at least the 2nd part I saw) not so much.

When we look back at Jorginho's career I think I will feel similarly - not among the greatest mids of his gen, but a truly great 20/21 season, instrumental player for two winning sides.

- - - Updated - - -

Agree, Nesta was better but Cannavaro was absolutely world class. Many players failed at at Inter in those days. Cannavaro's problem was that in his peak years he had Inter then pre-Calciopoli Juve and then moving to a RM team who set up badly for him. By the time he rejoined Juve again we were also fairly mediocre and he was in decline. If he could have had 5 or 6 years at Juve in A he could have been a quality veteran by the end of his career.
    WC definitely applies to Jorginho as well, how many playmakers can you name that you'd pick ahead of him in 20/21?

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    Im not arguing against Jorginho. For me it can only be between him and Lewandowski for the award.

Cannavaro was the better defender than Puyol and Campbell, his best level was higher, but he didn't have the legacy the former had or trophy cabinet from being the captain and defensive leader of a legendary team.

Unlike Jorginho he was very good at a young age. Jorginho didn't really emerge as a strong player until about 24, 25, and some people didn't even think he was world class when he joined Chelsea, he was just Sarri's puppet. In fact I'd argue it was only the last 2 or 3 years that people would even mention him in that category.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)