Azzurri Thread (24 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
The real sad thing is that the WC will probably be extended to include more teams, so if Italy had qualified it would be a million times harder to fail to qualify for another 60+ years :cry:
That is such a meaningless record though. It's sad for Buffon, but surely most Italians fans would rather win a World Cup every once in a while than just be there every time.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Sure, but is this the reason people want him out? If Italy had won the WC will it matter then?

I am more interested into the principles behind the calls for resignation. One is sporting performance and the other politics and semantics. If the principles for his resignation are not well crafted and thought of - then it will turn into a bigger circus than it already is. From the frying pan right into the fire...

Moreover, I don't see Tavecchio as some kind of a lone wolf. He does what they tell him to do and in essence so will the next guy, unless better priorities are established.
We surely dont know who is behind him... or if there is someone pulling the strings. What we do know.. is that he selected a mediocre coach for the NT, most likely based on friendship and connections.
That should have never happened.

But he had chances to correct the wrongdoing and sacking ventura. Never happened.

Because of this simple reasons, he must face the consequences of what they did and resign.

If the system behind him is also corrupt..then thats another matter. But Tavecchio, as the ma in charge and with power to decide (in theory), should go.

- - - Updated - - -

How can such a down-fall be this bad?

I still don't understand based on what was Ventura selected as NT coach? Especially that this squad needs someone so good since there aren't real huge names apart from DDR, Buffon and the Juve defenders, the NT needed powerful coach, smart and with outstanding CV to lead this type of squad and yet they couldn't hire anyone but Ventura. VENTURA? If Ventura can coach the NT then almost everyone of us has the chance to coach and become a millionaire with little bit of luck. Starting Darmian who is 3rd choice at Man United for his role? And Gabbiadini who is not even a regular starter at fvcking Southampton? Who is Parolo? I seriously forgot for which team he plays and ignoring Jorginho all this time but decide to play him in the last match only? I am not even angry but this is heartbreaking for a fan and I'm not even Italian and seeing Buffon playing his last Int match under this circumstances and historical shock literally breaks my heart. DDR, Barza and Chiellini also deserved better exit.

And god, the names I see nowadays, from Maldini, Nesta, Cannavaro, Totti, Del Piero, Pirlo, Vieri, Inzaghi, Zambrotta, Gattuso, Camoranesi TO Darmian, Parolo, Candreva, Immobile, Gabbiadini, Florenzi, Eder, Shaarawy, Balotelli, Zaza, Gagliardini etc ... I am yet to see one immense star or name like we used to see before, this is sad for a country that has given so much to football more than any other country IMO.
Unreal isnt it?.

Maybe this needed to happen for the crop of mandragora, orsolini etc to develop

Apr 29, 2006
We surely dont know who is behind him... or if there is someone pulling the strings. What we do know.. is that he selected a mediocre coach for the NT, most likely based on friendship and connections.
That should have never happened.

But he had chances to correct the wrongdoing and sacking ventura. Never happened.

Because of this simple reasons, he must face the consequences of what they did and resign.

If the system behind him is also corrupt..then thats another matter. But Tavecchio, as the ma in charge and with power to decide (in theory), should go...
The 'power' behind him isn't in a single entity, but an electoral process. It is really complicated due to the 'icebergs' of competing interests, but not as much as to suggest he kept Ventura 'cause they were buddies'. In reality Ventura flopped in the two games against Sweden, as Italy were never going to beat Spain. Then again the whole debacle with Ventura is on the sporting aspect of his job and if we are honest here this must play a lesser weight in a judgement on Tavecchio's real work.

Again if we are talking about the strategic aspect and running Italian football in general - there must be concrete evidence of what this FIGC fecked and MORE importantly how it will be fixed. Otherwise, it's another change for the sake of changing. Quite frankly Italians need to have a much deeper debate about how to proceed in the future and not just about bringing temporary refreshments with Carletto, etc.

EU society as a whole and Italy as a country have so many issues to overcome in the following decades that it was actually abnormal to have football stay in the levels of the good old days. What is even harder to swallow for the current crop of 'visionaries' and 'great leaders' is that money cannot solve those problems, otherwise England will be winning its 10th WC.

DIECI

Jul 12, 2011
I can't believe Ventura and Tavecchio are still in power. Just boggles the mind.

- - - Updated - - -

I want Albertini or Maldini as new FICG president, Ancelotti or Capello as NT coach. I want this to happen before the end of the year. I feel this would be the only way to save calcio. The fact we are in this down spiral has and will continue to have negative consequences through out the sport, including Serie A and in turn Juve as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Is Tavecchio really going to survive this??? :shocked:

I honestly can't believe there isn't a mob at the FIGC headquarters with pitch forks and torches.

Drizzy

Apr 26, 2015
Donnarumma, Bonucci, Caldara, Rugani, Darmian, Spinazzola, Verratti, Florenzi, Jorginho, Insigne and Belotti is a base of players that is a good starting point.

Perin, Meret, Conti (ACL?), Emerson, Zappacosta, MDS, Gagliardini, Barella, Cristante, Bernardeschi, Verdi, SES, Immobile, Zaza, Inglese, Petagna. These are the squad players who can step up or ship out. Ok maybe I'll include Candreva, at least he tried hard.

- - - Updated - - -

At least the new badge looks nice.
My problem with our "new" generation is that by the time the next world cup comes around, all the current "new generation" players will already be in their late 20s and have 0 world cup experience...Caldara, Rugani, Berna, Belotti, Florenzi, Conti, Romagoli etc will all be 28/29 or older with only a Euros (hopefully) under their belt....that to me is a big, big concern, 2022 will be the first and last world cup for many of them, we're stuck in an odd phase

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Not surprising. What manager in their right mind would want the italy job? Either someone with minimal options or who just really loves italy
I don't know. Ventura made the players look really bad, but truth be told I see them just below Spain, France, Germany and Belgium in Europe. Surely England, the Netherlands or Portugal aren't much better at all. And Portugal even won the Euros in 2016.

Given that pretty much everyone qualifies for the Euros these days it shouldn't be that difficult of a task. And it's right after the biggest disaster in Italian football, so you're bound to look good.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Something tells me the italian FA is not easy to deal with. Seems like a fairly thankless job were the weight of massive expectations and past greatness weigh heavy over a team that isnt that good

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Something tells me the italian FA is not easy to deal with. Seems like a fairly thankless job were the weight of massive expectations and past greatness weigh heavy over a team that isnt that good
It's probably a bunch of old fucks telling you to not field Insigne because he didn't shake hands with one of the old fucks.

DIECI

Jul 12, 2011
I don't know. Ventura made the players look really bad, but truth be told I see them just below Spain, France, Germany and Belgium in Europe. Surely England, the Netherlands or Portugal aren't much better at all. And Portugal even won the Euros in 2016.

Given that pretty much everyone qualifies for the Euros these days it shouldn't be that difficult of a task. And it's right after the biggest disaster in Italian football, so you're bound to look good.

France failed to qualify for USA 1994, then won the WC in 1998. I know its not the same situation but still, things can turn around quickly. 4 years is a long long time, they just need to fix the FIGC and have a real plan moving forward, that is the real challenge.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
It's probably a bunch of old fucks telling you to not field Insigne because he didn't shake hands with one of the old fucks.
Whatever it is, you just get feeling its not at all worth dealing with which is probsbly why a yes man like ventura will be replaced by another yes man in grosso

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
well said. I think they've been on this tier for some time. Even the likes of Cheilini and Bonnuci don't hold a candle to Nesta and Cannavaro. Something has gone wrong since the start of the decade and it needs to be addressed.
Chiellini doesnt hold a candle to Cannavaro? Fabio was truly great for what, 2-3 seasons? Chiellini has been WC for a decade. I know which I rate more

spurdo

Jun 4, 2016
There's huge gloom and doom over the quality of the players, but honestly I think Italy actually had the cogs to win the whole damn thing: a balance of young and old, lots of players with good understanding of each other after playing together for a long time and relatively good depth in each position. With Conte's grinta this team would've been a serious contender for the trophy since the quality is now significantly better than 2 years ago. Player to player clearly inferior to France, Spain and Germany, but that doesn't always matter as we saw with Sweden.

DIECI

Jul 12, 2011
Chiellini doesnt hold a candle to Cannavaro? Fabio was truly great for what, 2-3 seasons? Chiellini has been WC for a decade. I know which I rate more

Cannavaro was better then Chiellini, he was great for longer than 2 years, he was great since his Parma days before Juve.

Mar 10, 2009
Cannavaro only great for two or three years? Do you not remember him at Parma? The likes of Nesta and Cannavaro are amongst the best ever defenders. Cheilini is very good but is not at that level. Here, coincidently, Football Italia just mentioned the same thing;

Chiellini is arguably the last of his kind. That rugged, no-nonsense Italian stalwart in the mould of Claudio Gentile, Beppe Bergomi and Pietro Vierchowod. Yet, Chiellini won’t go down as one of the all-time legendary defenders, which speaks to the general downturn in Italy’s ability to produce world-class centre backs in the last two decades. Where have all the Maldini’s, Scirea’s, Nesta’s, Baresi’s and Cannavaro’s gone?

http://www.football-italia.net/112810/italys-problems-run-deep

TheLaz

Oct 6, 2011
Agreed, the team Conte brought to the Euros on paper was much, much weaker, w Sturaro and Giak starting in midfield.....this is 95% Venturas fault, not utilizing the players he had at his disposile in the right ways
I might have missed something but why the heck isnt Insigne in the lineup? Who are the best Italian players, again?

1. Buffon
2. Verratti
3. Chiellini
4. Bonucci?
5. Insigne?
12. Gabbiadini
13. Darmian
18. Candreva
22. Parolo

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
Chiello isn't/wasn't a Cannavaro or Nesta (who is?!), but he's still one of the best CB's of his generation.

Unplayable on his day. One of the best one on one defenders.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 16)