Azzurri Thread (13 Viewers)

Mar 10, 2009
Just look at the stars Italy had between 2000-2010;

Buffon, Toldo, Cannavaro, Nesta, Zambrotta, Pirlo, Guttusso, Del Piero, Inzaghi, Vieri, Totti, Toni, Camoranasi, De Rossi etc. All of those players were world class and I'm sure I missed out a dozen more. Between 2010-2017 I don't see that many stand out stars. Don't get me wrong, a lot of "good-very good players," but not many world class players emerged. Something has gone wrong and this needs to be addressed by the FA

DIECI

Jul 12, 2011
fire everyone, get a young coach and make the under 21 team the senior team. Start selling foreign players and give the italian youth a chance to grow properly.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
As much as I hope that this leads to a general overhaul of the FIGC, let's not recon things. The same team, even with a worse squad, managed to be one of the best teams in Europe just two years ago. This failure is 90% on Ventura.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Just look at the stars Italy had between 2000-2010;

Buffon, Toldo, Cannavaro, Nesta, Zambrotta, Pirlo, Guttusso, Del Piero, Inzaghi, Vieri, Totti, Toni, Camoranasi, De Rossi etc. All of those players were world class and I'm sure I missed out a dozen more. Between 2010-2017 I don't see that many stand out stars. Don't get me wrong, a lot of "good-very good players," but not many world class players emerged. Something has gone wrong and this needs to be addressed by the FA
Not at all an excuse for the Friday or today

Gep

The Guv'nor
Jun 12, 2005
De Rossi shoulda been in that $#@!ing game 100% one way or another, we lacked any fire and passion out there which he is the definition of
I saw an Azzurri team fired up tonight. Don’t know what game you was watching. They just left it all too late.

Mar 10, 2009
Come on. As we saw in the Euros, even mediocre Italian players had a great techincal level. A good coach knows how to take advantage of that. Italian players have always been like this - also when the pool of players looks pretty meh. We haven’t seen any sign of good technical players under Ventura and he even had some quite exciting individuals to work with. This Italian team is more than good enough to knock out a team like Sweden.
Italy are better than Sweden, but I always had the impression that sooner or later this disaster was coming. Italy lack genuine quality, in the 90s and 2000s Italy were always a team which had arguably the best team on paper. There's been a dip in quality, many players did not live up to their potential.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
fire everyone, get a young coach and make the under 21 team the senior team. Start selling foreign players and give the italian youth a chance to grow properly.
I said this the other day. Youth simply aren’t given the chance at big clubs like they are in other leagues.

Too little has changed to expect it to get any better...

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
This is simply a weak generation. Actually it has been pretty average since 08’. Much like Brazil. The only difference is we have an extraordinary player in Neymar, Italy has good players but nobody really out of this world. But I mainly blame this on the Italian federation and it’s refusing to get with the times. Italian Football, just like Brazilian, has been on this dying path for a long time. No talent, obsolete football.
Yep. If things don't change, gap between them and their European counterparts is going to increase further. There are not many great 'talents' that really convinces me that Italy can have a bright future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)