Azzurri Thread (14 Viewers)

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
This is good for Juve tbh. While everyone else will be in Qatar heat midseason all our italians can have a one month break middle of the season.

I truly believe having WC in november will create lot of complications in club football and only clubs with big squads can handle it.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
This is good for Juve tbh. While everyone else will be in Qatar heat midseason all our italians can have a one month break middle of the season.

I truly believe having WC in november will create lot of complications in club football and only clubs with big squads can handle it.
Except genius Serie A plans to hold a tournament for players who will not be in the WC :sergio:

Siamak

╭∩╮( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮
Aug 13, 2013

This failure is more than a disaster, not only has an impact on the national team, but it'll also has a huge impact on the Serie A.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I think so too. Nothing negative about the Macedonians. They have their best generation and they are not anymore a team at the level of Latvia, Moldova or Cyprus, like they used to be in the last 20 years or so. But they are still no match to teams like Slovakia, Austria, Ukraine or Wales, and Italy are imo the only big European team that can be eliminated by teams such as the Macedonian one. Current England, France, Portugal, Spain, Germany and Belgium would have won yesterday's match quite comfortably.
This being said, full support from me for Macedonia against Portugal.
Hats off to North Macedonia. They came to Italy and pulled a smash-and-grab like Villareal did to Juve in the CL, except even more impressively. I do not take anything for granted with a team that can do that when playing Portugal. Portugal put on more style and flair than usual against Turkey last night, but the porous backline is dubious at best. Jose Fonte and a converted DM as your centerbacks just shows how much Covid and injuries have decimated their current playable back line.

North Macedonia will get their chances to test Portugal and, if they can frustrate their attack as they did Italy, they have some good odds in knocking out two European giants to qualify.

Everybody in Portugal is tired of the "negative play" and mentality of Fernando Santos, much like Italy often is of their own NT play. He is best at doing an Allegri to suffer through closer matches built on a tight defence and an opportunistic offense. But he always struggles at defensive matches where Portugal needs to break through against an organized side playing behind the ball. And they often lapse and create openings on the counter.

Strickland

May 17, 2019
Hats off to North Macedonia. They came to Italy and pulled a smash-and-grab like Villareal did to Juve in the CL, except even more impressively. I do not take anything for granted with a team that can do that when playing Portugal. Portugal put on more style and flair than usual against Turkey last night, but the porous backline is dubious at best. Jose Fonte and a converted DM as your centerbacks just shows how much Covid and injuries have decimated their current playable back line.

North Macedonia will get their chances to test Portugal and, if they can frustrate their attack as they did Italy, they have some good odds in knocking out two European giants to qualify.

Everybody in Portugal is tired of the "negative play" and mentality of Fernando Santos, much like Italy often is of their own NT play. He is best at doing an Allegri to suffer through closer matches built on a tight defence and an opportunistic offense. But he always struggles at defensive matches where Portugal needs to break through against an organized side playing behind the ball. And they often lapse and create openings on the counter.
Macedonia doesnt have the quality to capitalize on those openings though, really hard to see them pulling off anything besides a total lockdown and hodl until pens

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Creative flair players are being extinct in Italy in favour of hard working players who can play several positions with their main attribute being defending
That's true for most teams though. It's more about systems now. Fast and athletic players are the order of the day. Players who possess that element of magic and fantasy are a dying breed. If you look at the top players of tomorrow, including Mbappe and Haaland, you can't really call them magicians or flair players. In terms of talent, they are vastly inferior to the likes of Baggio, Zidane and Ronaldinho.

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
That's true for most teams though. It's more about systems now. Fast and athletic players are the order of the day. Players who possess that element of magic and fantasy are a dying breed. If you look at the top players of tomorrow, including Mbappe and Haaland, you can't really call them magicians or flair players. In terms of talent, they are vastly inferior to the likes of Baggio, Zidane and Ronaldinho.
Pretty much why I enjoy football less & less as time goes on.

It's the same for any sport really, given enough time, money and science the participants become like robots.

Everybody has the blueprint to success, the 'meta' if you will. Whoever can copy it best wins the trophies. There's no room for individuals now unless they're also capable of putting in the hard yards OR in absolutely rare cases they're so good they can get by.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)