Azzurri Thread (11 Viewers)

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
If Croatia could do it with Mandzukic and Jelavic, then talents like Balo and Giovinco can do it too.
the Croatian forwards are physical, tall players, who knew how to beat Ireland's defense in the air ... plus, they were very cynical in that game as they took advantage of episode's in that game.

Balo and Giovinco are rather inconsistent and are anything but cynical players - more like they need chances created for them all night long to score 1 goal at best. Plus, the only thing Gio has proven thus far is that he can be very good when playing for a mid-table team vs another mediocre team ... not sure I would classify him as a "proven talent" on whom Italy can bank its progressing in the competition.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Joe

Dec 20, 2009
I say, keep the same team. If Barzagli is ready to return bring him back on, and send De Rossi back to the midfield and take Motta out.

We can beat Ireland.

And if Spain and Croatia don't fix the game, we're going to advance.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
the Croatian forwards are physical, tall players, who knew how to beat Ireland's defense in the air ... plus, they were very cynical in that game as they took advantage of episode's in that game.

Balo and Giovinco are rather inconsistent and are anything but cynical players - more like they need chances created for them all night long to score 1 goal at best. Plus, the only thing Gio has proven thus far is that he can be very good when playing for a mid-table team vs another mediocre team ... not sure I would classify him as a "proven talent" on whom Italy can bank its progressing in the competition.
Ireland are really weak. Croatia beat them in their own game (air) and the Irish defenders are even more clueless on the ground. Cassano would of course exploit those weaknesses, but against this Ireland so can all the other attackers Prandelli took to Poland, no matter if they are experienced wolves like Di Natale or inexperienced/unproven Balotelli and Giovinco.
Italy will really need Cassano against England/France and I think they can take on the Irish even without him. He really isn't fit to play every 4th day 4 matches in a row. After all, they can play him in the 2nd half if the result isn't in their favor after the first 45 minutes.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
He means 1:1 draw. If Spain-Croatia ends 1:1, then Italy will need to win 3:1, 4:2 or by 3 or more goals difference.
I'm more than ok with that if Italy goes out in such scenario even if the other game was fixed. If Croatia can beat Ireland 3-1 and Spain can smash them with four goals, Italy have to be able to score as much against an eliminated Ireland. If they don't, it means that they don't deserve to qualify.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
@acmilan

Czech 1-1 Poland
Russia 3-0 Greece

:p
the mentions don't really work but still @Gabriel :p

Czech Rep - Poland - 1-1 or 1-2 for Poland; think they will win this one with the Czechs scoring too.
Russia - Greece - 2-1 or 3-1 (leaning towards 3-1) for Russia, as the Greeks will score imo.

Jul 1, 2010
I'm more than ok with that if Italy goes out in such scenario even if the other game was fixed. If Croatia can beat Ireland 3-1 and Spain can smash them with four goals, Italy have to be able to score as much against an eliminated Ireland. If they don't, it means that they don't deserve to qualify.
Agreed.

I hope the FIGC will keep Prandelli regardless of the outcome, I think he has done a decent job. I think he will do a good job with youngsters like Verratti, Insigne, Santon and Caprari.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
Ireland are really weak. Croatia beat them in their own game (air) and the Irish defenders are even more clueless on the ground. Cassano would of course exploit those weaknesses, but against this Ireland so can all the other attackers Prandelli took to Poland, no matter if they are experienced wolves like Di Natale or inexperienced/unproven Balotelli and Giovinco.
Italy will really need Cassano against England/France and I think they can take on the Irish even without him. He really isn't fit to play every 4th day 4 matches in a row. After all, they can play him in the 2nd half if the result isn't in their favor after the first 45 minutes.
I don't disagree, generally, with what you said even if I don't think Ireland is that poor a team - it's all about miss-matches here and they are usually a tough opponent for Italy, while Spain's football is just about the most inconvenient for the Irish to deal with (similarly, Croatia is a very tough opponent for Italy, while the generally much more famous Spaniards are Italy's bitches, so to speak :D) ... add to that the fact that ireland will have nothing to play for but pride and have no pressure on their shoulders, I can easily see them giving Italy a run for it's money and maybe more.

Anyways, as I said, I agree with the "planning" you have put up there but the "think a game ahead" approach is suitable for a league championship where you are guaranteed another game after and thus you can afford to plan for it. Here, if Italy don't win the next game, they will not have another one coming their way, and will also be chasing a result too (a 1-0 win may well not be enough for them). So, all in all, counting your chickens before they have hatched is not just dangerous but also unlikely to be applied by any coach out there, in Prandeli's shoes ... thus, I expect Prandelli to have his very best team on the field tomorrow.

This being said, I wouldn't be too surprised to see cassano on the bench but should that be the case it would be because Prandelli has deemed him too tired and thus ineffective, not because he is resting his best forward for games they may well not get to play.

Kasaki

Moggi's Assistant
Jun 1, 2010
I don't disagree, generally, with what you said even if I don't think Ireland is that poor a team - it's all about miss-matches here and they are usually a tough opponent for Italy, while Spain's football is just about the most inconvenient for the Irish to deal with (similarly, Croatia is a very tough opponent for Italy, while the generally much more famous Spaniards are Italy's bitches, so to speak :D) ... add to that the fact that ireland will have nothing to play for but pride and have no pressure on their shoulders, I can easily see them giving Italy a run for it's money and maybe more.

Anyways, as I said, I agree with the "planning" you have put up there but the "think a game ahead" approach is suitable for a league championship where you are guaranteed another game after and thus you can afford to plan for it. Here, if Italy don't win the next game, they will not have another one coming their way, and will also be chasing a result too (a 1-0 win may well not be enough for them). So, all in all, counting your chickens before they have hatched is not just dangerous but also unlikely to be applied by any coach out there ... thus, I expect Prandelli to have his very best team on the field tomorrow.

This being said, I wouldn't be too surprised to see cassano on the bench but should that be the case it would be because Prandelli has deemed him too tired and thus ineffective, not because he is resting his best forward for games they may well not get to play.
Balotelli will get the bench. He's a yellow away from suspension and to be honest hasn't been that impressive. Di Natale will start with Cassano.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
He means 1:1 draw. If Spain-Croatia ends 1:1, then Italy will need to win 3:1, 4:2 or by 3 or more goals difference.
Yep, sorry, meant 1-1 draw. Stupid iphone.

But yeah, wouldnt that be easier/more favourable?

---------- Post added 16.06.2012 at 11:30 ----------

And I want Balotelli to play, preferably the whole game.

I got really annoyed by watching us lump in long balls/crosses to midgets like Di Natale, Giovinco and Cassano. We need height and physicality upfront against the Irish. I'd start Balotelli-Di Natale, and perhaps bring on Cassano later on during the game if needed.

Joe

Dec 20, 2009
Balotelli will get the bench. He's a yellow away from suspension and to be honest hasn't been that impressive. Di Natale will start with Cassano.
Yellows don't matter. Its the last match of the groups.

---------- Post added 16.06.2012 at 04:16 ----------

Yep, sorry, meant 1-1 draw. Stupid iphone.

But yeah, wouldnt that be easier/more favourable?

---------- Post added 16.06.2012 at 11:30 ----------

And I want Balotelli to play, preferably the whole game.

I got really annoyed by watching us lump in long balls/crosses to midgets like Di Natale, Giovinco and Cassano. We need height and physicality upfront against the Irish. I'd start Balotelli-Di Natale, and perhaps bring on Cassano later on during the game if needed.
Honestly, a draw in any sort seems very suspicious. A 2-2 would be so evident that is has been fixed.

Spain should be able to score more than 1 goal on Croatia, Croatia shouldn't able to get more than a goal on Spain.

A 1-1 will still have me thinking its fixed. But i don't think they'll do it anyways, why would Croatia agree to that...they'd still be in danger.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)