Axel Witsel - AM/CM - Zenit (8 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
You probably saw him play against the States. What you should know is that during the World Cup he played in a very deep, controlling role. For Zenith (and for Belgium too the last few games) he played a more attacking role, which suits him better.

Still, I think he's not creative enough to be our playmaker.

- - - Updated - - -

We're Juventus. We shouldn't get De Bruyne, we should get Hazard. I've had enough of sub world class players.
That is not true. I watched nearly all of those Belgian World Cup matches, because I am a fan of Lukaku, and I have always been enamored by Hazard.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
That is not true. I watched nearly all of those Belgian World Cup matches, because I am a fan of Lukaku, and I have always been enamored by Hazard.
I didn't mean it as some sort of putdown.. Anyways, the same goes for all WC matches. Witsel was playing a deep, controlling role. Not really his best position IMO.

But, like I said, I don't think he's creative enough for us.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I didn't mean it as some sort of putdown.. Anyways, the same goes for all WC matches. Witsel was playing a deep, controlling role. Not really his best position IMO.

But, like I said, I don't think he's creative enough for us.
My issue with this is the price moreso than the player, if those rumored transfer fees are to be believed.

Marotta has never spent anywhere close to 30 million on a midfielder, and I simply couldn't see him spending it on Witsel.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
My issue with this is the price moreso than the player, if those rumored transfer fees are to be believed.

Marotta has never spent anywhere close to 30 million on a midfielder, and I simply couldn't see him spending it on Witsel.
I agree. But given that Zenith paid close to 40, why would they let him go for anything under 30?

We've offered 18 million which I think is fair.
I think that's a fair price, but I doubt we'll get him that cheap. I think there are other, better targets for us.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I agree. But given that Zenith paid close to 40, why would they let him go for anything under 30?

I think that's a fair price, but I doubt we'll get him that cheap. I think there are other, better targets for us.

They wouldn't. And that is all the more reason for Juve not to pay that amount. They are not in the business of bailing out other clubs' mistakes.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
I'm not. I've had enough of us being a 'good' team. We should be the best team. We should be among Real Madrid and Bayern Munich.
Then I just can't understand you. I mean we all agree that we should be the best team, but to get there you have to be pragmatic and improve step by step, just screaming "SIGN HAZARD" won't do shit.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Then I just can't understand you. I mean we all agree that we should be the best team, but to get there you have to be pragmatic and improve step by step, just screaming "SIGN HAZARD" won't do shit.
I'm not saying we should sign Hazard. I'm saying that we should dare to go for these players again. We're not putting ourselves out there by aiming low. Even if we don't sign these players immediately, we should show that we are willing to compete and go for them.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
I'm not saying we should sign Hazard. I'm saying that we should dare to go for these players again. We're not putting ourselves out there by aiming low. Even if we don't sign these players immediately, we should show that we are willing to compete and go for them.
But we simply can't from a financial standpoint. Of course we can try and make an offer of 30 million for him, but that would only make us look rather ridiculous.

I can somehow understand you if you say we should aim for one sure starter a summer instead of 3-4 squad players or unproven talents (I wouldn't agree with you, but the argument can be made).

What exactly do you mean by "dare to go for these players again", if it doesn't mean signing them?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
But we simply can't from a financial standpoint. Of course we can try and make an offer of 30 million for him, but that would only make us look rather ridiculous.

I can somehow understand you if you say we should aim for one sure starter a summer instead of 3-4 squad players or unproven talents (I wouldn't agree with you, but the argument can be made).

What exactly do you mean by "dare to go for these players again", if it doesn't mean signing them?

Of course we can from a financial point of view. Do you really believe we are worse off than Real Madrid? We spend millions and millions on players we don't need, we have players all around the globe playing in Belgium and Austria, we are friggin' loaded.

If Real can afford Hazard, we can too. The money is definitely not the issue. It's our league.

Also, if we do go a tier below Hazard, Nainggolan would make far more sense than Witsel. He's a tested Serie A player, has the physique and the speed necessary for our game and is reported to have asked for more money at Roma.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
So you are trolling? I mean just look at our revenue and then look at Madrid's. Theirs literally is twice as ours.
You really think Ronaldo and Bale don't pay for themselves? Do you realise just how much revenue these guys generate for Real Madrid? Their entire financial planning is built on buying superstars. If you don't have them, you become a smaller, less interesting club and you lose fans.

That's pretty much what is happening to us.

If you want to be big, you have to buy big. That means each and every superstar should be a potential target.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
You really think Ronaldo and Bale don't pay for themselves? Do you realise just how much revenue these guys generate for Real Madrid? Their entire financial planning is built on buying superstars. If you don't have them, you become a smaller, less interesting club and you lose fans.

That's pretty much what is happening to us.

If you want to be big, you have to buy big. That means each and every superstar should be a potential target.
With the difference being that if a Ronaldo or Bale type of financial signing were to fail at Real Madrid, it is simply a write off.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
With the difference being that if a Ronaldo or Bale type of financial signing were to fail at Real Madrid, it is simply a write off.
But they don't. That's the thing. Players of that level don't fail. Hazard will not ever fail. These guys are so much better than the opposition that they are practically unstoppable. We, however, keep going for guys that are very good, but could just as well fail.

Robee

Jun 21, 2011
But they don't. That's the thing. Players of that level don't fail. Hazard will not ever fail. These guys are so much better than the opposition that they are practically unstoppable. We, however, keep going for guys that are very good, but could just as well fail.
You must be trolling... We're slowly raising our salary bar which is perfect. SAY we'd buy Hazard, he'd have wages double our maximum now. Suddenly Marotta's negotiation position of giving someone like Vidal, Buffon, Pogba our maximum wage becomes impossible. We'd lose more than we'd gain.
That's not even mentioning FFP that got sure even PSG and City got fined...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)