Argentine defender Gonzalo Rodríguez to go to Juve? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Dec 17, 2003
  • Thread Starter #162
    Hey guys! Remember me? Sorry for being absent these days but I was out of town and couldn't find any decent place to get online... :down: But don't think I had forgotten about you and the whole Gonzalo affair. I have been following the latest news on the local media.

So as I suggested in the above title, it seems that after a 10-day hiatus negotiations would be resuming in the next days and Gonzalo will finally arrive at Turin!

So what happened a week ago that made it seem Gonzalo would stay in Argentina? Apparently, his agent, Hugo Issa, had told Juventus as soon as he was contacted that Gonzalo already had his EU passport, probably to get things going and speculating a little considering that he was due to receive it in the Embassy of Spain next Febrary the 11th. HA! Did you know that he had asked for his EU passport like three years ago! Can you believe it? It seems that these thins take some time.

As soon as Juve found out that he didn't have the passport in his hands yet, they put all negotiations on hold and didn't call back to Buenos Aires again.

So last Friday Gonzalo excused himself from the morning training session with the U-23 National Team and decided to go to the Consulate of Spain to hurry things up and finally left the place at 11.30 a.m. with all the goddamn papers!

"Gonzalo Javier Rodríguez Prado" indicates his EU passport. That's right. His mom's surname was added as well. Actually, his background couldn't have been better for him to get the EU passport. His mom Lourdes came to Argentina from Spain at the age of 9 and his dad José arrived with his family when he was 2. And all his grandparents had also been born in Spain. The only problem occured when his dad decided to get his passport and noticed that his surname had been written with a spelling mistake, hence the delay.

So we should expect to get more news in the next hours. Dammit! I was hoping he would get to stay here for another 6 months! :down:

Mmmm, maybe the passport took so long because our NT coach was pulling some strings (his brother is the foreign minister of Argentina) in order to prevent Gonzalo from leaving the U-23 team now that the Pre-Olympic is about to start :D (he was going to be the starting sweeper)

On a sider note, a couple of weeks ago a San Lorenzo insider friend told me that our pathetically greedy board had come up with a counter-offer. They wanted Juve to pay 6 million dollars for a package of Gonzalo Rodríguez + our 19-year-old gifty playmaker Walter Montillo. Maybe you saw him in the U-20 World Cup too. He's a very promising player but he's not ready to play abroad yet and I would have been very sorry if Juve had accepted that deal because for me it would have meant another promising player career destroyed.

Well guys, I shall keep you posted as I learn more about this soap opera!

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    Mago, once again you have come through in spades.

Thanks again.

Is this Montillo kid any good? Do you think that a year or two fo seasoning at a lower Serie A squad could help?

If you had to make a comparison, who would you compare him to?

Jul 28, 2002
    Mago the San Lo insider man!!!

U should have good knowledge on River as well no?? What about Cavenaghi??? Do u rememebr a player called Galletti for estudiantes, ive met that little guy:D, i pressume he's fast ??

OP
    Dec 17, 2003
  • Thread Starter #168
    ++ [ originally posted by USA Juventini ] ++
    Mago, once again you have come through in spades.

Thanks again.

Is this Montillo kid any good? Do you think that a year or two fo seasoning at a lower Serie A squad could help?

If you had to make a comparison, who would you compare him to?
    Your welcome!

Walter Adrián Montillo was my favourite player last season. He had to carry the responsibility to fill in for injured Romagnoli and be the playmaker of the team being only 19 years old and he didn't chicken down. He has a similar style to Pablo Aimar. He would be like a crossover of Aimar and Romagnoli. Those are actually his two favourite players. He's fast and has outstanding dribbling skills but he still has to learn when to make a pause and when to change the rythm. And he still isn't reliable enough as to never losing the ball if you know what I mean. As I see it, that is something vital in a playmaker. Guys like Aimar or Zidane never lose the ball. That is something Montillo even admits himself. Romagnoli, for instance, will never lose the ball. You can always give it to him and be 100% sure it will be safe with him.
    Anyway, now we fans are looking forward to seeing them start together in the team. I can already imagine how great they are going to get along!

As I said, he also took part in the last U-20 World Cup in UAE but as I see it our coach didn't show Montillo that he trusted him enough and that was something Walter needed in order to feel that he could actually be the playmaker of that team. The coach made a lot of changes and that affected players' confidence.

Now, you're asking me if seasoning at a lower Serie A would help, well let me start by saying that personally I don't believe that really works for anyone. I always think it's easier for a player if he goes directly to a big team and is surrounded by good players. That allows him to adapt more easily.

If you ask me, I'd rather have Montillo acquire more experience in our League. I'm sure that within two or three seasons he will be prepared to jump into a big team of Spain or Italy without any seasoning in a lower squad.

Take Ricardo Verón, for instance. That guy was destined to be better than Fernando Redondo but look what happened. He went to Reggina where he would hardly receive a decent pass from his rusty teammates and now he's playing in the Serie B in Salernitana. Ahhhh, if only some team could re-discover this guy! He's a hidden gem in Italy, a world class central midfielder, a 22-year-old Redondo, I insist.

Anyway, back to Montillo, let me remind you all that he was together with Cavenaghi, Gonzalo Rodríguez and Franco Cangele in that famous list of players Juve was going to follow during the last U-20 World Cup. So it isn't that Juventus first learned about Montillo from our board's counter-offer. So I suppose they might have discovered him when they were following Rodríguez's steps.

++ [ originally posted by mark77 ] ++
    Thanks mago, your keeping my hopes up.
    Well, I'm glad. But take it easy. We only know that Gonzalo's got the passport now but we don't know if Juventus has called San Lorenzo back again.

Oh... Something I forgot to mention in my previous post... Despite all the rumours saying that Gonzalo would be loaned as soon as he arrived in Italy, the latest information was that Lippi was thinking to play him straight ahead.

++ [ originally posted by John #10 ] ++
    Mago the San Lo insider man!!!

U should have good knowledge on River as well no?? What about Cavenaghi??? Do u rememebr a player called Galletti for estudiantes, ive met that little guy, i pressume he's fast ??
    Yeah, I'm pretty informed. I don't think Cavenaghi will be sold in the short term. River Plate has most of their strikers injured. Salas, for example, he can't play a single game without ending with cramps or something. But if you ask me, if there's a team that has serious chances of getting Cavenaghi, that's Juve. Why? Well, let us not forget that his agent is Néstor Sívori and the person in charge of scouting and recommending South American players to Juventus is... ... ... yes Néstor Sívori again.

HA! Yeah, of course I remember Galetti! He is playing in Zaragoza right now. And he is called for the National Team every now and then.

I'm curious... Where did you meet him??? Where are you from???

OP
    Dec 17, 2003
  • Thread Starter #170
    ++ [ originally posted by [LAC] ] ++
    santana i like your presence on the forums. you feel like a messenger on the forums haha

how is nestor sivori related to omar sivori? or are they the same person?
    :D :D :D

Yeaaaaah, that's right! Actually, I feel more important than a messenger. I feel like a God coming here to shed some light and enlighten you all!

:D :D :D

It's the same person. ;) But isn't Omar his second name? If I'm not wrong, he's Néstor Omar Sívori. I just did a quick search on google and he appears as Néstor Sívori on most results.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    The gospel according to mago.:D:D

Well, you've got the ego for it, I'll tell you that.

Nothing wrong with that whatsoever. Don't be a stranger after all this goes down, btw.

Did you know that you were nominated for best newcomer?

I mean, you lost to me, but that's understandable;)

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
    somehow serge i think its sincere exhiliration at the joy of appreciation he is having and not pride hehe.

although serge you have to admit- 16 posts have made a HUGE impact for a nomination

so we might be getting cavenaghi then! woohoo!

Aug 1, 2003
    its nestor omar sivori? isn't it enrique omar sivori or something?

hey magosantana, thanks very much for the posts, really cool updates. this walter montillo sounds promising but I actually do believe he'd learn something from lower serie a clubs anyway.

If Lippi is thinking of playing gonzalo rodriguez straight away.. oh get him get him get him

Jul 28, 2002
    Well mago, i met galletti in a airport in spain last year, during the xmas break, i went on a brief break wit family to spain and met him there, people kept asking for his signatures, i went to get one, got one, but gave it to my ex gf.............................D'oh

OP
    Dec 17, 2003
  • Thread Starter #178
    ++ [ originally posted by [LAC] ] ++
    she knowing who this guy was of course....[sarcasm]
    hehe ... or she knowing about eBay ;)

++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
    its nestor omar sivori? isn't it enrique omar sivori or something?
    Sorry, my mistake! -Z- is right. They're father and son. Cavenaghi's agent is Néstor, Enrique's son. Now, I'm positive it's Enrique Omar, but I don't know if Néstor has Omar as a second name, too :confused: Wait... I'm feeling a bit dizzy :stress: :D

++ [ originally posted by USA Juventini ] ++

Well, you've got the ego for it, I'll tell you that.

Nothing wrong with that whatsoever. Don't be a stranger after all this goes down, btw.

Did you know that you were nominated for best newcomer?

I mean, you lost to me, but that's understandable
    Haha, I was just kidding. But now that you told me about the nomination thing, my ego has skyrocketed! :D

By the way, where can I find the final results? Hey, this is unfair! I couldn't vote for me! :D Be honest, did you vote for yourself????

Yes, I promise I'll try to check this forum even if Gonzalo doesn't come (See? I'm already talking as if I were a Juve fan). I really like it here. It's one of the most organized bulletin boards I've ever taken part in. Plus, it's got most of the features activated and people do respect every section and post their messages accordingly. I also post on the (San Antonio) Spurs Report forums and I used to believe that was the top board as far as organization and respectful people was concerned, but this one is pretty much even.

And of course the San Lorenzo related forums I post on are no way near this one! They are so chaotic with people stealing others' usernames to impersonate each other while they call them bad names . It's a real jungle but somehow you get used to it and eventually you learn to survive :strong: :boxing:

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by magosantana81 ] ++

By the way, where can I find the final results? Hey, this is unfair! I couldn't vote for me! :D Be honest, did you vote yourself????

The final results aren't out yet, but the thread is in the hangout portion of the forum. It's the first thread. you can't miss it.

Be warned, however, its gone off the beaten path a little bit.

And no, I didn't vote for myself.

I forgot to vote:down:

But I wouldn't have voted for myself, I would have voted for Incubo.

OP
    Dec 17, 2003
  • Thread Starter #180
    Yes, I've just checked that thread but I thought final results were already available.

BY THE WAY, I like it when people from US like you or [LAC] are into football (please, don't make me call it soccer!).

A friend in New York likes football as well probably because of his Irish roots. He actually supported Ireland more than USA in the last World Cup :D

You know, I've always believed that if Americans really cared about this sport, they would become leaders as well. You just have to make a good investment (hiring foreign coaches for High School and colleges, giving scholarships to whoever wants to study in a good University and play football at the same time, etc., etc.).

And again, if you actually cared, you could have the best League with the best football stars like Ronaldo, Zidane, Del Piero or Henry. I mean, you have the NBA and NFL where there's a lot of money involved, how could you not come up with a league as powerful as those two?

But again, it's just a question of interest. And I still can't really understand why football hasn't clicked there yet.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)