Argentine defender Gonzalo Rodríguez to go to Juve? (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 17, 2003
Hi everybody. First of all I'm glad I could finally find a Juventus website in English for God's sake! And this forum certainly seems to be active enough to leak the following piece of news!

I'm from Argentina where I support San Lorenzo and here there's a lot of talking about our young defender Gonzalo Javier Rodríguez being transferred to Juventus in the next days.

If you don't know much about him, let me tell you that he's a hell of a central defender. He's the typical number "2". San Lorenzo's coach usually plays with a four-player defense but Gonzalo can also easily swich to a three-player defense because that's how he has been playing in the U-20 National Team for the past two years. By the way, right now he's in UAE with the team completing their participation on the FIFA World Youth Championship 2003. Unluckily we were defeated on semi-finals (where Gonzalo didn't play for being suspended one match... maybe the story would have been different had he played considering that Brazil's goal came from a header inside the small box which Gonzalo could have defended well considering how good of a header - both offensively and defensively - he is :D ) by Brazil last Monday. Anyway, now we are going to play against Colombia for the third place, so expect to see him in the starting lineup once again and you can tell me your impressions.

His main abilities are being a very fast defender, having a very good technique (he likes to pass the ball well instead of just rejecting the ball à la Paolo Montero :D ) and he can play both as a stopper and sweeper in a three-player defense. Of course, being right-footed he can also switch to the typical "4" position and play as right wing defender. And of course you gotta love his heading skills, as I said before.

Some additional info:

Birth date: 04/10/1984
Birth place: Ciudad de Buenos Aires
Weight: 73 kilograms
Height: 1.80 metres

He has a vast experience in National Teams. Not only has he been part of the U-17 and U-20 teams (for both of which he has played the South American Tournaments and the World Youth Championships) but he has also had his debut in the "first" National Team. After he won the South American Tournament with the U-20 team in late January this year he was picked by coach Marcelo Bielsa to go with the team on their mini-tour in Central America. It was supposed to be a trip for him to acquire some experience and see everything from outside but the first match against Honduras he had to come off the bench to re-order the defense after Gabriel Milito was sent off. Gonzalo had a solid performance and then he started the following match against Mexico where he even got to score the only goal of the game after a good header! He was obviously man of the match and a big revelation!

Now he's expected to play in the U-23 Qualifying Tournament for the Olympic Games next January but if he does go to Juventus I don't think la Vecchia Signora will allow him to go there.

So far his achievements have been:

- South American Cup 2002 with San Lorenzo (he scored 1 goal and played the 8 matches)
- U-20 South American Tournament 2003 with the National Team (he played all games except for one for being suspended and scored 1 goal as well)
- Fourth place in the U-17 World Youth Championship Trinidad y Tobago 2001
- Second place in the U-17 South American Tournament 2001

I know this may sound as a lot of promotion and you might even think I'm his manager or have to do something with San lorenzo's board :D But no way hehe I'm only a rabid supporter of San Lorenzo and am just checking if you have the same info there. Actually, if it were for me I'd wish he stayed in San Lorenzo forever! But here it is being said that three members of San Lorenzo's board have travelled already to Turin to begin negotiations. We're talking about 4 millions euros.

If you ask me, I say that's almost a present for you if you know what I mean. He's a very young (19) and promising defender who, in a couple of years playing in the elite and if everything goes OK, could triple his value or more! i'm not exaggerating, really.

It goes without saying that if Gonzalo Rodríguez does finally go to Juventus, you will have earned another supporter to the club :D Right now I root for Chievo Verona because of Mario Alberto Santana, who used to play in San Lorenzo too when he was in Argentina.

By the way, Mario Santana is also rumoured here to be transferred to Juventus any time. HAHA! I still remember how his dribbling and tricks repertoire brought shame on Thuram :D

Buy on AliExpress.com

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Welcome aboard Mago, and thanks for the info.

4 million euros seems reasonable enough.

Now if Moggi says that we want him, then in all likelihood we won't. It's just the Juve way.:D

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Ahhhhh!!!!

I was seeing a very famous argentinian show called "LA ULTIMA PALABRA" (mago santana u must know it)...

and nopw that u mention it...... i tried to remember the guy´s name yerterday but i couldnt.............. well let me tell you people that This rumours could be very true.
Yesterday, they were talking about the Sub-20 WC and they said this:

"Did u know that the representatives of Gonzalo Rodríguez are heading tomorrow(today)to Turin to seal the deal with Juventus??"

So people..... this are not just silly rumours...and i would not be surprised if they announce the deal in January.

BTW, Welcoe Mago santana.... there is a spanish speakers thread in the hang out forum..so check it out!

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
++ [ originally posted by magosantana81 ] ++
But here it is being said that three members of San Lorenzo's board have travelled already to Turin to begin negotiations. We're talking about 4 millions euros.
Yeah, i heard that notice like i said before in "La Ultima Palabra"...and those guys are very serious in Football matters,,, so people..u can take that source as very reliable.

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
you had me convinced once you said he was fast:D

well, you have described the defender juve need for their defence. fast, good technique, fairly a lot of experience in national teams etc..sounds like a great young defender.

what worries me is that Moggi will buy him, loan him out to a lower team, god forbid not a serie B team, and will continue to persist with montero and the aeging defenders at the club.

is he non EU?? if so, Moggi will have to sell either zalayeta, or olivera...the first being the more likely.

he wouldnt be cuptied which is obvisouly great news for us as every other defender we have been linked to recently is.

OP
Dec 17, 2003
  • Thread Starter #6
    ++ [ originally posted by Hydde ] ++
    Ahhhhh!!!!

I was seeing a very famous argentinian show called "LA ULTIMA PALABRA" (mago santana u must know it)...
    Hey Hydde! It's good to find other Latin Americans in here! Yeah, I often watch that cable TV show. Haha, I wouldn't say they always have reliable information. For instance, that guy who sits at the separate desk, Walter Safarián (that funny character wearing glasses who is also the host of that other show called "Expediente Fútbol") likes to blab a lot. But yeah, I can say they generally have good info.

++ [ originally posted by Adrian ] ++
    you had me convinced once you said he was fast :D

well, you have described the defender juve need for their defence. fast, good technique, fairly a lot of experience in national teams etc..sounds like a great young defender.
    :D Yeah, he's pretty fast and he likes to anticipate on strikers before they can take the ball. That is something Gonzalo has learned most playing as a stopper.

And, like I say, for a 19-year-old he has very good prospects and at this point he belongs to a class of his own. I don't want to "curse" him hyping him up too much (so I'm always knocking on wood as I say all this) but this guy could have a great career playing abroad.

The problem is what you pointed out later...

what worries me is that Moggi will buy him, loan him out to a lower team, god forbid not a serie B team, and will continue to persist with montero and the aeging defenders at the club.
    This can't be a coincidence. I was telling exactly the same to some fellow San Lorenzo fans. Juventus has a (bad) reputation of buying, buying and buying a lot of players and then not knowing what to do with them. And to make matters worse, it seems as if they think that the players they paid for the most are necessarily the ones who must start on the team, regardless of their true quality...

So you have guys like Olivera, Zalayeta (or Marcelo Salas before) who aren't given many or any chances at all and are loaned forever to small clubs until they end up virtually "ostracized".

And that would be a crime to commit with Gonzalo Rodríguez because he's a player in constant development. You know, when he first appeared in San Lorenzo's first team (by the way, he began playing in our club in the youth divisions since the age of 10) he would tell everyone that his favourite player was Fabricio Coloccini, another example of a great player who was ruined by a big Italian club: this time A.C. Milan. Now Coloccini is playing in Villarreal from Spain... :down:

But it's good that a Juve fan like yourself is acknowledging this. As I said, I'm not a Juve supporter (yet) but I watch a lot of Calcio and I really can't understand how guys like Paolo Montero or Ciro Ferrara are still playing. The former is so rusty! And how old is Ferrara? 40? :D

If you ask me, I'd rather Gonzalo stayed here for a couple of years more so that he acquires more experience. The problem if he goes to Italy being so young is that usually the press there doesn't take pitty on anyone. He could make a mistake and they would sacrifice him! They always do that with foreigners, and specially if they're from Argentina.

is he non EU?? if so, Moggi will have to sell either zalayeta, or olivera...the first being the more likely.
    I'm not sure. I think so. But judging from his Spanish surname, I think he could easily get his passport from Spain. Let's hope he doesn't follow Juan Sebastián Verón's or Gustavo Bartelt's easy shortcut... :cheesy:

Anyway, you're saying Zalayeta would be more likely than Olivera to be sold? I thought Olivera wasn't playing at all in Juventus...

he wouldnt be cuptied which is obvisouly great news for us as every other defender we have been linked to recently is.
    Sorry... What do you mean by cuptied :confused: I'm not a native English speaker...

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
    Cupttied are those players that have already played in any european cup before being transferredin the January market.This players cant play in any european competiton in the new team.

A good example of this was batistuta´s case. He was transferred to Inter in january, but he had already played some games for Roma in the CL..... so when he came to Inter., he was unable to play in the CL because he already played with roma in the same season.

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by magosantana81 ] ++

I know this may sound as a lot of promotion and you might even think I'm his manager or have to do something with San lorenzo's board ....
    [
    before u said that i seriously i thought u are his agent....;)

nina

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm aware that our defence is not really in a rosy state and that we need a defender asap, but I would still rather see him being loaned to some team for half a year to see and check if he really is Seria A material if we get him.

We need more than one defender anyway and if Rodríguez will be our future (judging by the years he has) we could get someone who will be "only" our present and therefore we could pick someone experienced and not that young (but most definitely not old).

magosantana81 muchísimas gracias por las noticias y bienvenido a nuestro foro ;) :)

Glen

Aug 26, 2002
    This is why I love the net :D .
    Out of the blue, one piece of news come out, a guy in Buenos Aires feel compelled to share his wisdom, and people from all over the world goes giddy with joyful expectatins of what is to come :).

So welcome MagoSantana :thumb: !

Just one thing. When Adrian said that Zalayeta was more likely to go, that is because he has already shown his quality and thus he can bring in a decent fee. Olivera is still rated as a big talent, and the club won't let him go before he has been out on loan and had a chance to excell.... which while one may not like it makes a lot of sense for the club. Moreover- there are 4 forwards ahead of Zalayeta in the pecking order, and they're all quite simply better than him. Obviously- if Rodriguez has a Spanish passport the two issues are unrelated.

A_LAcki

Dec 23, 2002
    Hey welcome mago santana!

Its great to hav an agrgentinien here, so we can ask you about the talents from Arg.
    If he is good, get him! Young, central defender and fast??? Looks good to me! We need a fast and young defender!

Boudz

Mercato Tourist
    Aug 1, 2002
    In other transfer news, reports in Argentina claim that Juventus will sign Gonzalo Rodriguez from San Lorenzo.

The 19-year-old defender is highly regarded in his homeland and is allegedly set for a £2m move in January.

Channel4

Boudz

Mercato Tourist
    Aug 1, 2002
    hey mago welcome 2 the forum, wanna ask u, is tevez as good as they say he is? is he better than riquelme or d'alessandro?
    what about cavenaghi, i saw him at the under 20WC, did not impress me that much. thanks

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
    magosantana81, Zalayeta must leave juve. he is taking up a non Eu place and rarely plays. he has something to give a team, but that team isnt juve. unless he starts being first or second choice, he will nevr be a good player.

unfortunately you cant free a non EU player by loaning out a player. if this was the case, both zalayeta and olivera would be loaned out already.

buying and loaning has worked out well for juve with some players. maresca and miccoli are prime examples, but the likes of Brighi, rigoni, max vieri, guzman for example dont look destined to be juve stars.

but their are others such as gasbaronni and sculli who look to be.

and cuptied is a prick of a rule which is destroying juves chances of signing quality defenders who have played in europe so far this season:D

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)