Are you watching? (1 Viewer)

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
blackadder was genius

i have just finished watching lost season 2 and downloading series 3 as i am too impatient to wait anther week for it to start, first episode of series 3 screws with your ehad though

Buy on AliExpress.com

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Bozi said:
blackadder was genius

i have just finished watching lost season 2 and downloading series 3 as i am too impatient to wait anther week for it to start, first episode of series 3 screws with your ehad though
Very good. Ever tried Red Dwarf?

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Blackadder is amazing, Fawlty Towers is a masterpiece, Red Dwarf was a bit too much, many times I didn't understand a thing. There is an Irish comedy called Father Ted I think, that was hilarious too.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
mikhail said:
Cool. Seems we like the same kinds of comedies. :biggrin:

Ever read Douglas Adams? Or Terry Pratchett?
to be honest no i was given a terry pratchett book years ago but someone nicked it before i got to read it
Jeeks said:
Blackadder is amazing, Fawlty Towers is a masterpiece, Red Dwarf was a bit too much, many times I didn't understand a thing. There is an Irish comedy called Father Ted I think, that was hilarious too.
father ted was awesome, you should look out for a new comedy called the IT crowd, from teh same people absolutely hilarious

OP
Lilith

Lilith

Immortelle
May 19, 2006
  • Thread Starter #49
    mikhail said:
    Cool. Seems we like the same kinds of comedies. :biggrin:

Ever read Douglas Adams? Or Terry Pratchett?
    I know this question was directed at Bozi but I had started reading Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Haven't had a chance to finish it yet but he has quite an interesting imagination.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    Bozi said:
    to be honest no i was given a terry pratchett book years ago but someone nicked it before i got to read it.
    If you're near a library, pop in. I imagine most would have some of his stuff. I find his stuff very easy to read - tend to finish them very quickly.

father ted was awesome, you should look out for a new comedy called the IT crowd, from teh same people absolutely hilarious
    Father Ted was great. The guy who played the lead role, Dermot Morgan, was one of the finest Irish satirists, and lived about a mile from me. He died within days of finishing the third series.

There's another series by the same writer (Linehan) called Black Books. It's worth a look, though I think there's only a series or two of it. I haven't had a chance to see The IT Crowd yet, but I really want to. Not only is Linehan writing it, but it stars Richard Ayoade, who was also in the excellent Garth Merenghi's Darkplace (and in the related An Interview with Dean Lerner, which is hit and miss, but occasionally brilliant).

CauldronWench said:
    I know this question was directed at Bozi but I had started reading Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Haven't had a chance to finish it yet but he has quite an interesting imagination.
    It's not to everyone's taste, but I love his bizarre style, and when I write comedy, I tend to write similarly (though obviously nowhere near as well!) As they say, immitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Unfortunately, Adams is also dead, and even more before his time. He was only about 50, but he had a heart attack. :depressed

If you find his style in Hitchhiker's Guide a little much, try his Last Chance to See, one of my favourite books. It's basically a diary of his travels around the world with a zoologist in search of endangered animals, but it's in this wonderfully witty, friendly style I've never seen anyone come close to touching.

OP
    Lilith

Lilith

Immortelle
    May 19, 2006
  • Thread Starter #51
    mikhail said:
    If you find his style in Hitchhiker's Guide a little much, try his Last Chance to See, one of my favourite books. It's basically a diary of his travels around the world with a zoologist in search of endangered animals, but it's in this wonderfully witty, friendly style I've never seen anyone come close to touching.

I found his style of writing pretty witty and I loved how he just took the concept and ran with it. But yes it got to be a little too much for me because I tend to gravitate more towards the mystery/fantasy/good vs. evil genre. It was the only reason I took a break from reading it and ran straight to Nora Roberts instead. I did manage to catch the movie but I don't think I would have appreciated it as much had I not started the book. Lol the amazing towel. ;)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    CauldronWench said:
    I found his style of writing pretty witty and I loved how he just took the concept and ran with it. But yes it got to be a little too much for me because I tend to gravitate more towards the mystery/fantasy/good vs. evil genre. It was the only reason I took a break from reading it and ran straight to Nora Roberts instead. I did manage to catch the movie but I don't think I would have appreciated it as much had I not started the book. Lol the amazing towel. ;)
    Sounds like you'd appreciate Terry Pratchett. :smile:

I don't know Roberts stuff at all.

Ramin

vBookie Champion
    Nov 18, 2003

Curb Your Enthusiasm is one of the best comedies ever made. Apparently the 6th season will start next year.

The Black Books was simply horrible.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    Jeeks said:
    John, do you like the Dirk Gently series?
    Yeah, I do. I've read all 2 1/2 of the books. They're a little less out there than the Hitchhiker series, but probably better for it. The charactor of Dirk is just wonderful. I think he could have written a dozen books about him, but he wrote books at an infuriatingly slow pace. One of the funniest writers of his generation and all he leaves us with are the five Hitchhiker books, the two Dirk Gently books, Last Chance to See and a couple of nonsense dictionaries (The Meaning of Liff and The Deeper Meaning of Liff). :depressed

Ramin said:
    Curb Your Enthusiasm is one of the best comedies ever made. Apparently the 6th season will start next year.
    I never really got that. I think David was too successful by the time he made it - he could get away with whatever he wanted. I'm not a Seinfeld fan either, so I guess I just have a different sense of humour to him.

Matter of opinion. There's that sharp wit:
    Fran: Do you know that in Tibet when they want something they give something away?
    Bernard: Do they? That must be why they're such a dominant global power.

The attitude towards the customers:
    Bernard: [selling a book] Enjoy. It's dreadful, but quite short.

And the more bizarre moments:
    Customer: [brings back copy of Tempocalypse] I bought this for a friend, and they didn't want it, i was wondering if i could exchange it, preferably for the money
    Bernard: [grabs the book and begins flicking through it rapidly then stops] Aha! sand!
    [collects some onto his finger]
    Bernard: Manny!
    [sprinkles it into Manny's mouth]
    Manny: [tasting the sand] Sardinia... South... Porto Scuzo... The little beach by the monastery.
    Bernard: [to customer] Get out! [shoves his book back into his hands]
    Customer: Damn! [leaves]

And most importantly, just how inhumanly evil Dylan Moran's charactor can be:
    Bernard: Hanley! Hanley, come out you blood sucker!
    [the door opens]
    Solicitor: Miss Hanley is dead.
    Bernard: Eh?
    Solicitor: She died in the night.
    Bernard: I don't care... I mean, how awful.

And while I'm here, anyone watch Arrested Development? Pure comedy gold. :biggrin:

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    I haven't read the first Dirk Gentley book, only The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul and thought it was fantastic. You might be surprised but it was the first I read by Douglas Adams and I immediately wanted to read more. I bought the first Hitchhiker and read it overnight. The next day I ordered the five-in-one. But you won't believe it that I am not done with them yet. I don't know why but I stopped at the third book and I find no will to continue.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    Jeeks said:
    I haven't read the first Dirk Gentley book, only The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul and thought it was fantastic. You might be surprised but it was the first I read by Douglas Adams and I immediately wanted to read more. I bought the first Hitchhiker and read it overnight. The next day I ordered the five-in-one. But you won't believe it that I am not done with them yet. I don't know why but I stopped at the third book and I find no will to continue.
    The quality tails off towards the end of the trilogy. :smile: You might get back to the fourth one eventually though, So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish. It's not bad. Adams wrote Mostly Harmless while quite thoroughly depressed though, and it showed. If I remember correctly, there's a fantastic scene starring Ford near the start of Mostly Harmless. Even depressed, there were glimmers of what he could do.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Ramin said:

Curb Your Enthusiasm is like all of Larry Davids' bad George Constanza qualities minus all of the funny ones. As a result, I find it to be one of the most annoying, petty, and whining TV shows on television ... with nothing redeemable about the characters or the comedy. I just can't stomach it. :tdown:

Ramin

vBookie Champion
    Nov 18, 2003
    swag said:
    Curb Your Enthusiasm is like all of Larry Davids' bad George Constanza qualities minus all of the funny ones. As a result, I find it to be one of the most annoying, petty, and whining TV shows on television ... with nothing redeemable about the characters or the comedy. I just can't stomach it. :tdown:
    Thats pretty much how I felt at the beginning as well, but Larry's whinning eventually grew on me. Perhaps the first season wasn't the best, as it got better every season imo, especially the last season.

Its Alwayds Sunny In Philadelphia is another great comdey that I've been watching lately.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)