Antonio Conte (35 Viewers)

How would you rate Conte's (dis)appointment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Unlike Jose Mourinho at Manchester United, Conte is not prepared to splash out €110m on a single player.

“I am not comfortable. I don’t like to pay a lot of money. The money is not mine but I don’t like it all the same. I don’t find it right.

:lol:
:howler: full of excuses this guy

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Unlike Jose Mourinho at Manchester United, Conte is not prepared to splash out €110m on a single player.

“I am not comfortable. I don’t like to pay a lot of money. The money is not mine but I don’t like it all the same. I don’t find it right.

:lol:
In his defense he's talking about the context of a 110m transfer deal. Not a 40m euro deal. And he's probably right. Silly to spend that kind of money.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
You really have to start giving Conte credit for what he did here.
Sorry for late reply, was away.

I give him a credit, but I refuse to give only him a credit. There were more factors involved. We signed 4-5 players that were absolutely key performers that season, like Licht, Vidal, Pirlo and Vucinic, the brand new venue...

Look at Milan and Inter right now, how they're doing. If Serie-A is so bad, why can't they at least rise to 2nd or 3rd in the league?
They squandered 100s of millions on mediocre signings over the years. This is actually rather good example why mgt's decisions are important and can steer the club into right direction, otherwise coach inevitably becomes a scapegoat (Allegri, Mihajlović and Montella soon).

Conte was amazing here, and that's a fact and part of history. You believe that we would've risen to the top regardless of him, but such a statement will always remain counterfactual.
He did, but without proper backing it's little difficult to see him having as much success. And looking at our history we had these long spells without any major silverware. We have the biggest fanbase in Italy, one of the wealthiest coorporations behind us, that would continue investing into the club and at one point it would all click together. It did with Conte so I'm glad for that.

Don't forget that in 2011/12, Conte brought together a bunch of new signings, mixed them together with the old guard and was able to topple a Milan side who had Allegri as a coach, Ibrahimovic for a striker, and Thiago Silva in defence; the reigning champions. We also went through that entire season undefeated. But according to you, this would've happened just based on all the new signings (and the state of Serie-A) alone. Anyone could've done it. Conte played just a minimal part in this.
Yeah, never said that. Always claimed it was joint effort. From Conte's appointment, great transfer campaign, stadium opening ceremony which reminded some players what Juventus represents, fantastic crowd that kept frantically supporting the team throughout the season...

Milan team btw was in decline, no youth policy, old players on large salary, no viable replacement in sight...

As for the part you said about Juve not being about one guy and that we had a great history before he became coach: Yes, I absolutely agree with that. But who has claimed otherwise?
Plenty of people here. Like this guy bellow.

- - - Updated - - -

Foundations that you today judge as really good after Conte revitalized or unleashed the potential of these players. If DN or Mancini or Benitez or pellegrini etc.. was our coach, do you think any of our players would have become that good?
Bare in mind that many of these players had long careers of mediocrity and so there is no reason why 2011 would have been different for them compared to their previous seasons. None of those players were brought in when they were already good footballers in form except the Licht, Vidal and maybe Matri (good form by his standards). Bonnuci was public enemy #1 and it took us some time after our defense became solid to start to like him because of how awful he used to be pre-conte.

Milan has been buying freebies for ages now but they havent managed to revitalize a single one of them; this could have been us. We lucked out in getting a very cheap and inexperienced coach who turned out to be a brilliant motivator and team builder that made the team fire on all cylinders. Maybe someone like Simeone could have done the same but certainly not the likes of Mancini, Ranieri, Pellegrini, Benitez all of which are very experienced and won trophies etc..You can argue that Marotta and co would have found another inexperienced coach of high quality but then that hypothetical coach would have been a huge contributor to our comeback and we would have loved him.

Denying Conte's contribution is equivalent to denying Simeone's contribution to ATM imo. For a club to get out of being in a state of ruin, you need both great management (marotta/agnelli) to buy the right players given the tight budget and a great coach who revitalizes the old ones amongst the players and unleashes the potential of those who have never performed well yet. No one would ever consider Tiago and his ilk as a great foundation for a top team but under Simeone he made him perform like he never did before. We had the same thing with many of our players.

And I still dont get where this "eventually" comes from. The more we failed to perform the harder it would be for the club to get back to what it used to be. If a club doesnt find a functioning mix long enough and their brand's continues to deteriorate because of that failure, its not an eventuality that some great managers will come in and fix everything and bring back the glory days. Look at the Eredivise and you'll see giants like Ajax far away from what they used to and there is no eventuality that they return to the top of Europe anytime in the forseeable future. Even today we are not yet back as the 2nd richest club in the world and its unlikely that we ever will.
Stopped reading there. Sorry, but you're insane.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Sorry for late reply, was away.

I give him a credit, but I refuse to give only him a credit. There were more factors involved. We signed 4-5 players that were absolutely key performers that season, like Licht, Vidal, Pirlo and Vucinic, the brand new venue...

They squandered 100s of millions on mediocre signings over the years. This is actually rather good example why mgt's decisions are important and can steer the club into right direction, otherwise coach inevitably becomes a scapegoat (Allegri, Mihajlović and Montella soon).

He did, but without proper backing it's little difficult to see him having as much success. And looking at our history we had these long spells without any major silverware. We have the biggest fanbase in Italy, one of the wealthiest coorporations behind us, that would continue investing into the club and at one point it would all click together. It did with Conte so I'm glad for that.

Yeah, never said that. Always claimed it was joint effort. From Conte's appointment, great transfer campaign, stadium opening ceremony which reminded some players what Juventus represents, fantastic crowd that kept frantically supporting the team throughout the season...

Milan team btw was in decline, no youth policy, old players on large salary, no viable replacement in sight...

Plenty of people here. Like this guy bellow.

- - - Updated - - -

Stopped reading there. Sorry, but you're insane.
Who wasn't mediocre (apart from the ones I did mention)?

and I never gave him only the credit. But I do recognize that the "foundation" of players we had would have amounted to nothing if it weren't for Conte or another coach of exceptional quality like Simeone which we couldn't get.

Apr 25, 2015
I think it's pathetic how some users here just disregard everything past players and coaches have done for us.

A few months ago Pogba was loved and now he's being called a piece of shit or dabfag (lol), and the same exact thing happened with Vidal and Conte.

Immaturity at its finest

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Who wasn't mediocre (apart from the ones I did mention)?

and I never gave him only the credit. But I do recognize that the "foundation" of players we had would have amounted to nothing if it weren't for Conte or another coach of exceptional quality like Simeone which we couldn't get.
You need to realize that players aren't either mediocre or world class. Vucinic for instance was very good player for Roma, Barzagli was good for Wolfsburg, won Bundesliga title and looked very solid in a half a season before Conte was appointed, Pirlo wasn't mediocre either, unmotivated definitely, but still had produced magic on his day. Bonucci was promissing young CB, but he would made plenty of mistakes during Conte's tenure as well, infact he became WC during the last two years, under Allegri.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
You need to realize that players aren't either mediocre or world class. Vucinic for instance was very good player for Roma, Barzagli was good for Wolfsburg, won Bundesliga title and looked very solid in a half a season before Conte was appointed, Pirlo wasn't mediocre either, unmotivated definitely, but still had produced magic on his day. Bonucci was promissing young CB, but he would made plenty of mistakes during Conte's tenure as well, infact he became WC during the last two years, under Allegri.
My God what do you smoke. Again I invite you to read Barzagli's thread just to see how he was rated before Conte.

Bonucci was horrific during that time and public enemy #1. He took a leap in quality when the 3-5-2 was introduced and started to look like a defender that can play for a big team that keeps a high number of clean sheets. He was still error prone but not a complete mess like he used to. He was like Rannochia before Conte .

Vucinic is a mediocre player if the team you are competing again has Ibra and Cassano in attack. He is a 10 goal a season striker that is what mediocrity is about. Same for Matri.

Pirlo came in from a poor injury ravaged season that Allegri and Galliani thought he wasnt needed anymore and preferred Van fucking Bommel.

Who else Pepe? Marchisio? Giacherini?

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
My God what do you smoke. Again I invite you to read Barzagli's thread just to see how he was rated before Conte.
Yeah I never cared about that, herd mentality. One spouts nonsense about a player and others follow. Barzagli was still pretty damn solid defender before Conte.

Bonucci was horrific during that time and public enemy #1. He took a leap in quality when the 3-5-2 was introduced and started to look like a defender that can play for a big team that keeps a high number of clean sheets. He was still error prone but not a complete mess like he used to. He was like Rannochia before Conte .
He was still pretty bad under Conte and 2013/14 season was one of his worst. One blunder per game in the second part of the year was his norm. As I've said, he became WC under Allegri. Since you're fan of reading what others think, revisit his thread and see the posts during that period.

Vucinic is a mediocre player if the team you are competing again has Ibra and Cassano in attack. He is a 10 goal a season striker that is what mediocrity is about. Same for Matri.
He's second striker, which is quite different. His work was more than supplying team with goals, he had that creative string and was capable of deciding the outcome with moment of ingenuity. Sometimes it was clever flick, heel or dribbling that would create numerical advantage for his team. He was clear upgrade over what we had back then in striker department. I guess DP was mediocre for most of his career as well, since he often would finish bellow 10 goal mark in Serie A. Players like Vucinic have more aspects to their game, unfortunately you're not able to see these.

Pirlo came in from a poor injury ravaged season that Allegri and Galliani thought he wasnt needed anymore and preferred Van fucking Bommel.
Pirlo didn't care about Milan for several years and was angling for a move. Read few chapters of his book for clarification.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Yeah I never cared about that, herd mentality. One spouts nonsense about a player and others follow. Barzagli was still pretty damn solid defender before Conte.

He was still pretty bad under Conte and 2013/14 season was one of his worst. One blunder per game in the second part of the year was his norm. As I've said, he became WC under Allegri. Since you're fan of reading what others think, revisit his thread and see the posts during that period.

He's second striker, which is quite different. His work was more than supplying team with goals, he had that creative string and was capable of deciding the outcome with moment of ingenuity. Sometimes it was clever flick, heel or dribbling that would create numerical advantage for his team. He was clear upgrade over what we had back then in striker department. I guess DP was mediocre for most of his career as well, since he often would finish bellow 10 goal mark in Serie A. Players like Vucinic have more aspects to their game, unfortunately you're not able to see these.

Pirlo didn't care about Milan for several years and was angling for a move. Read few chapters of his book for clarification.
Yeah thats why we had to pay so much to get him and the football world was jealous we managed to land one of the best CBs in the game and the best Italian CB at the time. Wolfsburg tried their best to keep him because they obviously saw him as an impenetrable wall. The ranking was thiago silva, vidic and Barzagli. Its obvious that his performance level at Juve was just a continuation of what he used to do in Germany. His game didnt get raised multiple levels in 2011/12. :lol:

You keep dodging the point. Answer these questions and I will leave you alone forever on this subject. I won't even dispute your answers. I think we will understand each other better instead of strawmanning each others points.

1) If Pellegrini, Benitez, Prandelli or Mancini were given this squad, do you think their Juve would have won the league undefeated? won the league at all? finished top 3? or worse? (Select one)

2) If we hired that level of coach, do you think (a) marchisio would have become a world class B2B? (b) Barzagli would have become a top 3-5 defender in the world, (c) Bonucci would have become as good as he did under Conte (I realize he is even better now)? (d) Pirlo would have regained his best form? Answer in Yes or No for each.

My answers:
(1) Worse

(2) No to all of them. Only a brilliant coach could have done that transformation. All known brilliant coaches were out of budget. We at best would have gotten a Pellegrini/Manicini/Benitez/Prandelli level coach (good but not great in anyway).

I'd like to know what others think too

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Yeah thats why we had to pay so much to get him and the football world was jealous we managed to land one of the best CBs in the game and the best Italian CB at the time. Wolfsburg tried their best to keep him because they obviously saw him as an impenetrable wall. The ranking was thiago silva, vidic and Barzagli. Its obvious that his performance level at Juve was just a continuation of what he used to do in Germany. His game didnt get raised multiple levels in 2011/12. :lol:
He wasn't even considered one of the best CBs here while he showed incredible consistency, that is until last year when started to generate more interest abroad and was selected in the CL best 11 (group stages). He was always underrated player, unlike Luiz or Pique. His contract was expiring, he wanted to return to Italy, 30 yo, hence the price.

You keep dodging the point. Answer these questions and I will leave you alone forever on this subject. I won't even dispute your answers. I think we will understand each other better instead of strawmanning each others points.

1) If Pellegrini, Benitez, Prandelli or Mancini were given this squad, do you think their Juve would have won the league undefeated? won the league at all? finished top 3? or worse? (Select one)

2) If we hired that level of coach, do you think (a) marchisio would have become a world class B2B? (b) Barzagli would have become a top 3-5 defender in the world, (c) Bonucci would have become as good as he did under Conte (I realize he is even better now)? (d) Pirlo would have regained his best form? Answer in Yes or No for each.
1) top 3 finish, at least.
2)he isn't WC b2b, Pirlo and Barza needed more stable environment but potential was always there.

If Conte was given 2010/11 team:

Buffon
Mota Bonucci Chiellini Grosso
Krasic Melo Aquilani Pepe
DP Quag

do you think Juve would have won the league, top 3?

I'd say top 3 or thereabout. It's undeniable that quality of the team improved over the summer (2011) by leaps and bounds, with Lich, Vidal, Pirlo and Vucinic. Hiring a coach that knew Juve's mentality, with some "older" players reaching their potential, it was a perfect mixture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 27)