Antonio Conte (43 Viewers)

How would you rate Conte's (dis)appointment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
Where is that certainty coming from? Inter and Milan have not come back on track yet. Another Ferrara or DN like season and we would have sunk even further and would have suffered financially even more. Its not like football doesn't have fallen giants. Look at how long Liverpool have been irrelevant and thats with crazy EPL money. It is very likely that any other coach would not have gotten us back on track especially as fast as he did. We became the dominant force in Serie A immediately after hiring him in one hell of a come back.
The certainty comes from our history, financial state, fanbase, etc. Agnelli definitely was an important factor, we had built our own stadium, we were in a healthy financial state, and the desire to get back on track was definitely there (unlike what is the case in say Milan). Conte could have been another Del Neri, we trusted an inexperienced coach, but even if that had happened, we would have fixed it for sure. We would have tried other ways, possibly hiring a more experienced/better coach. I admire Conte for what he did for us, I am aware of his talent as a coach and a motivator, and I'm happy that not only was he the one who helped us come back, but we also helped him with his career. But I refuse to think that he was a savior without whom we would have been a mediocre team in serie A.

The way he conducted himself when he left us and after that made me dislike him but i'm definitely not butthurt (as all seem to suggest here) because we anyway ended up with an excellent coach and we did very well without Conte. My reaction to his celebration is independent of how I feel about him. I have my reasons to be grateful for the time he was at Juve, I have my reasons to be upset with him, I have my reasons to cheer for him in EPL, and in this particular case I have my reasons to find his celebration very fake and yuck worthy :p

Buy on AliExpress.com

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
The certainty comes from our history, financial state, fanbase, etc. Agnelli definitely was an important factor, we had built our own stadium, we were in a healthy financial state, and the desire to get back on track was definitely there (unlike what is the case in say Milan). Conte could have been another Del Neri, we trusted an inexperienced coach, but even if that had happened, we would have fixed it for sure. We would have tried other ways, possibly hiring a more experienced/better coach. I admire Conte for what he did for us, I am aware of his talent as a coach and a motivator, and I'm happy that not only was he the one who helped us come back, but we also helped him with his career. But I refuse to think that he was a savior without whom we would have been a mediocre team in serie A.

The way he conducted himself when he left us and after that made me dislike him but i'm definitely not butthurt (as all seem to suggest here) because we anyway ended up with an excellent coach and we did very well without Conte. My reaction to his celebration is independent of how I feel about him. I have my reasons to be grateful for the time he was at Juve, I have my reasons to be upset with him, I have my reasons to cheer for him in EPL, and in this particular case I have my reasons to find his celebration very fake and yuck worthy :p
we were in a miserable financial state and it was becoming increasingly more difficult to attract an experienced coach. Even an experienced coach like LVG couldnt pick up utd despite infinite resources and Mancini failed with Inter as did Benitez with Napoli. These were the kind of names that we could attract at best. If you cant pay top coach money and cant guarantee top level football then you wont get any established top level coach either. The desire to get back is in Milan, Inter and Liverpool but having the desire is a different thing from actually fulfilling it.

Just think what a mancini like coach would have done with Bonucci, Barzagli, Marchisio and Pirlo's performance levels given how crappy they were in 2010 let alone the matris and vucinics. This whole generation of players could have stayed mediocre as they have all been throughout their careers (pirlo is an obvious exception) upto Conte's tenure where he unleashed their potential like no one else ever had before. You don't like the guy I get it but his contribution is undeniable.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
we were in a miserable financial state and it was becoming increasingly more difficult to attract an experienced coach. Even an experienced coach like LVG couldnt pick up utd despite infinite resources and Mancini failed with Inter as did Benitez with Napoli. These were the kind of names that we could attract at best. If you cant pay top coach money and cant guarantee top level football then you wont get any established top level coach either. The desire to get back is in Milan, Inter and Liverpool but having the desire is a different thing from actually fulfilling it.

Just think what a mancini like coach would have done with Bonucci, Barzagli, Marchisio and Pirlo's performance levels given how crappy they were in 2010 let alone the matris and vucinics. This whole generation of players could have stayed mediocre as they have all been throughout their careers (pirlo is an obvious exception) upto Conte's tenure where he unleashed their potential like no one else ever had before. You don't like the guy I get it but his contribution is undeniable.
:tup: it's sad that there are people here that can't even accept what he did for us. what he did was nothing short of miraculous

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
Conte, in today's pre-match conference.

"I am a passionate man. I was the same when I started as a manager, and even as the international head coach. I live the game with my players. I play with them and I want to feel this. Sometimes when you score an important goal, when you win, you can celebrate. I am a passionate man and I am not able to keep my emotions, and I know that is strange but I am this. I congratulated my players because we played a good game, with good intensity. There was a great will to win."

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
Born winner and a true Juventino. I can only wish him good luck at Chelsea, even though I've always disliked that club. Would much rather want Conte's Chelsea to be successful in England than Mou & Pogba's Manchester, that's for damn sure.

In CL I don't wish you good luck Antonio, sorry :p

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011

With or without Conte we'd find our way to the top, eventually. You're giving too much credit to him, neglecting several key players brought that summer, new stadium and our rivals (Milan, Inter) obvious decline. Both Milanese teams would still be crap next season while I seriously doubt Roma or Napoli would win scudetto. You can argue that we won 2011/12 unexpectedly, but we laid excellent foundation that summer and we'd be in great position to win the very next one.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Some of you need to get your head out of Conte's ass and realize that Juve was never about one guy. We had great history before Conte and chances that we would remain on the outskirts for considerable time were slim and if you consider the state of Italian football and general lack of competiton, then none.

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
Some of you need to get your head out of Conte's ass and realize that Juve was never about one guy. We had great history before Conte and chances that we would remain on the outskirts for considerable time were slim and if you consider the state of Italian football and general lack of competiton, then none.
You really have to start giving Conte credit for what he did here.

Look at Milan and Inter right now, how they're doing. If Serie-A is so bad, why can't they at least rise to 2nd or 3rd in the league?

Conte was amazing here, and that's a fact and part of history. You believe that we would've risen to the top regardless of him, but such a statement will always remain counterfactual.

Don't forget that in 2011/12, Conte brought together a bunch of new signings, mixed them together with the old guard and was able to topple a Milan side who had Allegri as a coach, Ibrahimovic for a striker, and Thiago Silva in defence; the reigning champions. We also went through that entire season undefeated. But according to you, this would've happened just based on all the new signings (and the state of Serie-A) alone. Anyone could've done it. Conte played just a minimal part in this.

Sure.

As for the part you said about Juve not being about one guy and that we had a great history before he became coach: Yes, I absolutely agree with that. But who has claimed otherwise?

Lastly, I would like to add: Yes, I too was annoyed at the way in which he left the club. It left somewhat of a bitter taste. But to deny his importance as a coach at this club is just silly.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
With or without Conte we'd find our way to the top, eventually. You're giving too much credit to him, neglecting several key players brought that summer, new stadium and our rivals (Milan, Inter) obvious decline. Both Milanese teams would still be crap next season while I seriously doubt Roma or Napoli would win scudetto. You can argue that we won 2011/12 unexpectedly, but we laid excellent foundation that summer and we'd be in great position to win the very next one.
Foundations that you today judge as really good after Conte revitalized or unleashed the potential of these players. If DN or Mancini or Benitez or pellegrini etc.. was our coach, do you think any of our players would have become that good?
Bare in mind that many of these players had long careers of mediocrity and so there is no reason why 2011 would have been different for them compared to their previous seasons. None of those players were brought in when they were already good footballers in form except the Licht, Vidal and maybe Matri (good form by his standards). Bonnuci was public enemy #1 and it took us some time after our defense became solid to start to like him because of how awful he used to be pre-conte.

Milan has been buying freebies for ages now but they havent managed to revitalize a single one of them; this could have been us. We lucked out in getting a very cheap and inexperienced coach who turned out to be a brilliant motivator and team builder that made the team fire on all cylinders. Maybe someone like Simeone could have done the same but certainly not the likes of Mancini, Ranieri, Pellegrini, Benitez all of which are very experienced and won trophies etc..You can argue that Marotta and co would have found another inexperienced coach of high quality but then that hypothetical coach would have been a huge contributor to our comeback and we would have loved him.

Denying Conte's contribution is equivalent to denying Simeone's contribution to ATM imo. For a club to get out of being in a state of ruin, you need both great management (marotta/agnelli) to buy the right players given the tight budget and a great coach who revitalizes the old ones amongst the players and unleashes the potential of those who have never performed well yet. No one would ever consider Tiago and his ilk as a great foundation for a top team but under Simeone he made him perform like he never did before. We had the same thing with many of our players.

And I still dont get where this "eventually" comes from. The more we failed to perform the harder it would be for the club to get back to what it used to be. If a club doesnt find a functioning mix long enough and their brand's continues to deteriorate because of that failure, its not an eventuality that some great managers will come in and fix everything and bring back the glory days. Look at the Eredivise and you'll see giants like Ajax far away from what they used to and there is no eventuality that they return to the top of Europe anytime in the forseeable future. Even today we are not yet back as the 2nd richest club in the world and its unlikely that we ever will.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
You really have to start giving Conte credit for what he did here.

Look at Milan and Inter right now, how they're doing. If Serie-A is so bad, why can't they at least rise to 2nd or 3rd in the league?

Conte was amazing here, and that's a fact and part of history. You believe that we would've risen to the top regardless of him, but such a statement will always remain counterfactual.

Don't forget that in 2011/12, Conte brought together a bunch of new signings, mixed them together with the old guard and was able to topple a Milan side who had Allegri as a coach, Ibrahimovic for a striker, and Thiago Silva in defence; the reigning champions. We also went through that entire season undefeated. But according to you, this would've happened just based on all the new signings (and the state of Serie-A) alone. Anyone could've done it. Conte played just a minimal part in this.

Sure.

As for the part you said about Juve not being about one guy and that we had a great history before he became coach: Yes, I absolutely agree with that. But who has claimed otherwise?

Lastly, I would like to add: Yes, I too was annoyed at the way in which he left the club. It left somewhat of a bitter taste. But to deny his importance as a coach at this club is just silly.
Foundations that you today judge as really good after Conte revitalized or unleashed the potential of these players. If DN or Mancini or Benitez or pellegrini etc.. was our coach, do you think any of our players would have become that good?
Bare in mind that many of these players had long careers of mediocrity and so there is no reason why 2011 would have been different for them compared to their previous seasons. None of those players were brought in when they were already good footballers in form except the Licht, Vidal and maybe Matri (good form by his standards). Bonnuci was public enemy #1 and it took us some time after our defense became solid to start to like him because of how awful he used to be pre-conte.

Milan has been buying freebies for ages now but they havent managed to revitalize a single one of them; this could have been us. We lucked out in getting a very cheap and inexperienced coach who turned out to be a brilliant motivator and team builder that made the team fire on all cylinders. Maybe someone like Simeone could have done the same but certainly not the likes of Mancini, Ranieri, Pellegrini, Benitez all of which are very experienced and won trophies etc..You can argue that Marotta and co would have found another inexperienced coach of high quality but then that hypothetical coach would have been a huge contributor to our comeback and we would have loved him.

Denying Conte's contribution is equivalent to denying Simeone's contribution to ATM imo. For a club to get out of being in a state of ruin, you need both great management (marotta/agnelli) to buy the right players given the tight budget and a great coach who revitalizes the old ones amongst the players and unleashes the potential of those who have never performed well yet. No one would ever consider Tiago and his ilk as a great foundation for a top team but under Simeone he made him perform like he never did before. We had the same thing with many of our players.

And I still dont get where this "eventually" comes from. The more we failed to perform the harder it would be for the club to get back to what it used to be. If a club doesnt find a functioning mix long enough and their brand's continues to deteriorate because of that failure, its not an eventuality that some great managers will come in and fix everything and bring back the glory days. Look at the Eredivise and you'll see giants like Ajax far away from what they used to and there is no eventuality that they return to the top of Europe anytime in the forseeable future. Even today we are not yet back as the 2nd richest club in the world and its unlikely that we ever will.
:tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup:

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
read through the first 10 pages or so of Barzagli's thread. The level of pessimism and the amount of abuse that was launched (and I think the mods didnt even bother banning the abusers) against him is insane. You'll really appreciate how big of a turn around it was for him. Ironically Rus was the only optimist on Tuz about Barzagli. The majority view was complete hopelessness while the minority view was decent back up player at best. Its hilarious.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
read through the first 10 pages or so of Barzagli's thread. The level of pessimism and the amount of abuse that was launched (and I think the mods didnt even bother banning the abusers) against him is insane. You'll really appreciate how big of a turn around it was for him. Ironically Rus was the only optimist on Tuz about Barzagli. The majority view was complete hopelessness while the minority view was decent back up player at best. Its hilarious.
JCK called him poor and old, and basically the worst transfer ever. :lol:

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
JCK called him poor and old, and basically the worst transfer ever. :lol:
There is gold in that thread. You wont believe it unless you check it out and go through page by page. Trust me its worth your time.

The conte thread is gold too but most of the abuse was directed as marotta where projections of doom and gloom were being made.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
There is gold in that thread. You wont believe it unless you check it out and go through page by page. Trust me its worth your time.

The conte thread is gold too but most of the abuse was directed as marotta where projections of doom and gloom were being made.
That is fantastic :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

I'm really tempted to quote some of the forum's pessimists like B81, Andy, Jack, and others. So much irrational hatred of Barzagli.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 40)