Antonio Conte (23 Viewers)

How would you rate Conte's (dis)appointment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
He subbed florenzi for darmian.

Candreva and DDR were out

He needed Pelle

Literally the only sub would be Insigne for Eder. but eder was playing decent to good
Eder should have gone off much earlier and he wasn't that good really. Couldnt control the ball often and this is supposed to be their SS. El Shaarawy could have also been put on instead of De Sciglio, they needed someone to carry the ball out after defending successfully. I called for a 3421 before the game, i think that would have worked better against this Germany team

Buy on AliExpress.com

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
so when i praise conte for his tactical choices against belgium, spain and germany, you're fine with that. when i don't exactly praise him for having subbed out éder too late (which i most probably did in the live thread, too), it's a hindsight that fits my narrative. wow. tell me now, what's my narrative exactly? is life supposed to be black and white in this thread?

btw results aren't everything. they are out, a quarterfinal exit might be considered as a failure by some, but italy still had a brilliant tournament.
I meant your in general not specifically you, and yes or threads are black and white ;)

Nov 1, 2002
Conte was the best coach, motivator and ball kicker in this tournament, and its not even close.

Belgium, Spain, and one penaltykick away from germany, with by far and away the worst italian midfield and frontline in history.
By motivating these midgets to play far above their level, to have them execute his tactical plan with mesmering perfecting which drew admiration worldwide, to get results.

How on earth can a coach get so very much, from such small amount of talent ?

Conte can. I've seen the Azzurri in competitions from 1998 till today, and this was as good as Lippi. And it didnt need a calciopoli scandal to unite and motivate them, no that was also, all Conte.

Thanks coach. Thanks for giving me a reason to actually watch this tournament and be actively supporting in it.

Best of luck at chelsea.
can't say it better, for me it's the most convincing italy side I've seen....even the world cup winners of 2006 had some players hugely underperformed like Totti, Toni, Camoranesi...

Conte made average players a serious threat to who ever they played against.

he should be proud. italy should be proud of this tournament's performance.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Eder should have gone off much earlier and he wasn't that good really. Couldnt control the ball often and this is supposed to be their SS. El Shaarawy could have also been put on instead of De Sciglio, they needed someone to carry the ball out after defending successfully. I called for a 3421 before the game, i think that would have worked better against this Germany team
Germans would have blasted trough a 3421. SES would have seen draxler giving an assist.

But i also wanted the eder sub sooner. But Conte prefers to wait with it cause of the automatisms between pelle and him. I can accept that.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Germans would have blasted trough a 3421. SES would have seen draxler giving an assist.

But i also wanted the eder sub sooner. But Conte prefers to wait with it cause of the automatisms between pelle and him. I can accept that.
El Shaarawy played as a wingback before, under Conte. Him and Giacch could have closed down that side very well, but would also provide more threat after winning the ball. Him prefering to wait with Eder was a mistake

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
he did what he could even though the late subs are something he really should have stopped by now. insigne could have come in earlier and forcing zaza to take a penalty without fucking touching the ball in the game was horrible.

apart from his bad subs he did what one could have asked from him. he made his little peasant workers fight like soldiers but no way could he make that cold blooded penalty takers. It just showed what kind of headless chicken some of them are if conte is not shouting into their ear 24/7, especially zaza, darmian and pelle

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
El Shaarawy played as a wingback before, under Conte. Him and Giacch could have closed down that side very well, but would also provide more threat after winning the ball. Him prefering to wait with Eder was a mistake
SES as a wingback is fine, but not against this germany.

If italy would have given up anything of their defensive cover, they would have lost FAR more then the little they gained. The game was that tight.

De Rossi was the huge miss in this game. Its incredible they dragged it to penalty's without having a single playmaker

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
:sad: Thank you conte, it's a shame at the end it was penalties that decided it. Such an underrated and undervalued coach I'm glad his earned some respect here but most of all across Europe.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
SES as a wingback is fine, but not against this germany.

If italy would have given up anything of their defensive cover, they would have lost FAR more then the little they gained. The game was that tight.

De Rossi was the huge miss in this game. Its incredible they dragged it to penalty's without having a single playmaker
This Germany played a 3421 with Kimmich and Müller on one side and Hector and Ozil on the other. No player that can create space 1v1 there, except for Draxler when he came in late but he didn't play on SES and Giacch side anyway. Nothing thats cant be handled with.

Vialli_92

Mar 7, 2013
Well I wouldn't. The team was on a great run, they were full of confidence and Germany played exactly in our hands with changing the formation before the game. The game was there to win, especially after the pk goal, he had 3 subs going into the last 30 minutes + extratime with superior offensive players on the bench who are deadly on the counter yet he waited too long to act.
I don't see how we would have won this game. Germany were far superior to us due to all the players we had missing.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Another thing I don't understand, why Zaza? I like the guy and all but if you put a player on just for penalties, why him? Immobile is shooting PKs regularly for his club and EL Shaarawy is also a better PK taker. Hell, if Candreva isnt hurt that much to not be able to walk, he would be a better pick too. And yeah yeah, i know, hindsight and all that, still dont understand this decision

- - - Updated - - -

Cant remember Zaza ever even shooting a PK

JuveID

Allegri and Beppe Mania
Feb 5, 2015
Great tournament conte. :tup:

Be careful, high expectation and different challange with chelsea will be waiting for you.

- - - Updated - - -

Another thing I don't understand, why Zaza? I like the guy and all but if you put a player on just for penalties, why him? Immobile is shooting PKs regularly for his club and EL Shaarawy is also a better PK taker. Hell, if Candreva isnt hurt that much to not be able to walk, he would be a better pick too. And yeah yeah, i know, hindsight and all that, still dont understand this decision

- - - Updated - - -

Cant remember Zaza ever even shooting a PK
Maybe, conte see him has strong character.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 20)