Antonio Conte (110 Viewers)

How would you rate Conte's (dis)appointment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
Management told him to decide later after the vacation yes. You see in a corporation, each individual has a job and responsibilities that go with it. The management are responsible for who gets to be coach and so If they felt that they want to give time to an employee of theirs to reconsider his decision, then that is their call and their responsibility not his. They told him don't quit now. Take time off and think about it and when you are back give us your final decision.

Now it is possible that the employee has made up his mind fully and saw zero chance of changing his mind but it is also possible that he thought he might feel better after the break and so he told them, okay I will let you know after the vacation. He continued to feel depleted after the vacation and so he told them just that. They then hired someone else.

You see when you have a great employee in your company who plays a key role, you want to hold on to him as much as possible and so often times, managers tell their subordinates to take time off to rethink the exit. If they thought he was just another mediocre employee they'd have let him go without any fuss but they believed that he was the best guy for the job and so they tried to hold on to him and at the same time had a plan B in case that fails. Nothing out of the ordinary occured here. Neither the employee did anything wrong in taking his time before making a final decision nor did the management in trying to hold on to him (as long as they had a plan for the scenario where he decides to leave).

If Allegri had turned out to be a bad coach, then whose fault is it that the club now has a poor coach? It is management's fault not the now-departed employee.
When would the employee be at fault? He would be at fault if he left without notice at an important time in the season. If what happened was that Conte gave them the illusion that he is staying and then suddenly decided to quit then that would be bad and unprofessional behaviour. But since what actually happened is nothing more than them giving him time to rethink and him actually taking that time, then nothing wrong has occurred.

If anything, I'd have been insulted if Conte had said he is leaving and refused to even rethink the decision. Imagine Agnelli telling him we have all this rapport together, can you at least take time to rethink your decision? and Conte says no. I think the club owes him at least a rethinking of his decision to leave.

The bitterness that people have towards his departure is because the impression that we first had is that Conte suddenly left us in pre-season without any warning. That would have been definitely a shitty move and a stab in the back to the club. We only found out that this was planned by management and Conte after the whole debacle exploded and people were already hurt. A lot of people are yet to get over that first impression they had of the events.

Not only was the first impression that Conte suddenly jumped shipped, it was also coupled with the horror of knowing that Allegri (who was considered an incompetent coach by a majority of serie A fans) will replace him. We felt that by jumping ship we are forced to take an incompetent coach and the whole Juve project is in danger of regression if not collapse. The first impression had us stabbed in the back & forced to use an incompetent coach in panic.

Only later we found out that management knew about how he feels from the season before and have given him time to rethink his decision and that Allegri was planned from the start. Imagine that all this was public knowledge from the start. Imagine that after our scudetto celebrations, Agnelli came out and said that Conte is thinking about leaving the club and that since we value him so highly, we gave him time to reconsider his decision and that the final decision will be announced early in preseason and that if Conte were to decide to leave, the club will hire allegri.
Who would you have been outraged at? Conte? Hell no. You would have been outraged at management and would have been panicking the entire summer and praying that he stays. You'd have pressured management to give him more money or a bigger transfer kit.

Even the scenario that you say Conte should have followed is much worse. Imagine again that Agnelli publicly said that Conte has told us he is leaving and that we told him to rethink it over the summer and yet Conte refused to even rethink it despite of the club's assurance that they have a replacement lined up if he leaves. You would have been questioning his love for Juve and saying management assured him that everything is under control if he leaves.. he could have atleast gave himself time to think about it.

So try to get over the first impression by absorbing the new facts.What you thought had happened did not actually happen. Adjust your emotions accordingly.
As a fan who dislikes Conte for the kind of person that he is, for his lack of support for the team he owed his career to, and for the dumb things he had to say after his departure, I have to say this is a great post. I felt like denying parts of it, but then I figured I can't really, because you are right. Also congratulations for your immense patience discussing these things in a forum full of bullies and intolerant jerks :D

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
As a fan who dislikes Conte for the kind of person that he is, for his lack of support for the team he owed his career to, and for the dumb things he had to say after his departure, I have to say this is a great post. I felt like denying parts of it, but then I figured I can't really, because you are right. Also congratulations for your immense patience discussing these things in a forum full of bullies and intolerant jerks :D
:) thanks

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
One more thing. Conte did do poorly in his last european campaign and he did underestimate the potential ceiling of the squad. He should have looked back at his first CL run and that would have proved to him that we can be regular Scudetto and 4th or 5th favorites in the CL until we build more financial muscle.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Potential ceiling of the squad? :lol: How up his ass can you be? He was just a coward, that is all. He was afraid to damage his reputation by saying he has strong squad but failing in europe, he was just covering his tail.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Potential ceiling of the squad? :lol: How up his ass can you be? He was just a coward, that is all. He was afraid to damage his reputation by saying he has strong squad but failing in europe, he was just covering his tail.

Conte is a coward :lol:
Quitting after you think you have given your best for a club and that you won't be able to take the team further takes courage especially when he was so secure in the job and was worshiped by the fans.

Taking the Italy job with this generation of terrible players takes courage.

Taking the Juve job when the team has been finishing 7th twice in a row and multiple much more experienced coaches like Ranieri and Del Neri have failed takes courage especially when you have never coached on the top level before and you have legendary status in fans mind. He watched Ferrara who is another legend crash and burn too. Coaching Juve is an opportunity but it takes guts to take on that opportunity and risk your reputation so early on in your coaching career.

Too scared over his reputation of not qualifying from CL group stage and then takes on the much more difficult Italy job. yeah that makes sense. You make it seem that he left Juve for PSG or Bayern.
Try not to be so emotional in your thinking.

- - - Updated - - -

tl;dr Conte does things his way and everyone else is a passenger

k thanks bye buona fortuna
Whose way should he setup his team? The media? Does Allegri or any good coach you have ever seen employ tactics that he doesnt think are best for his squad?

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Management told him to decide later after the vacation yes. You see in a corporation, each individual has a job and responsibilities that go with it. The management are responsible for who gets to be coach and so If they felt that they want to give time to an employee of theirs to reconsider his decision, then that is their call and their responsibility not his. They told him don't quit now. Take time off and think about it and when you are back give us your final decision.

Now it is possible that the employee has made up his mind fully and saw zero chance of changing his mind but it is also possible that he thought he might feel better after the break and so he told them, okay I will let you know after the vacation. He continued to feel depleted after the vacation and so he told them just that. They then hired someone else.

You see when you have a great employee in your company who plays a key role, you want to hold on to him as much as possible and so often times, managers tell their subordinates to take time off to rethink the exit. If they thought he was just another mediocre employee they'd have let him go without any fuss but they believed that he was the best guy for the job and so they tried to hold on to him and at the same time had a plan B in case that fails. Nothing out of the ordinary occured here. Neither the employee did anything wrong in taking his time before making a final decision nor did the management in trying to hold on to him (as long as they had a plan for the scenario where he decides to leave).

If Allegri had turned out to be a bad coach, then whose fault is it that the club now has a poor coach? It is management's fault not the now-departed employee.
When would the employee be at fault? He would be at fault if he left without notice at an important time in the season. If what happened was that Conte gave them the illusion that he is staying and then suddenly decided to quit then that would be bad and unprofessional behaviour. But since what actually happened is nothing more than them giving him time to rethink and him actually taking that time, then nothing wrong has occurred.

If anything, I'd have been insulted if Conte had said he is leaving and refused to even rethink the decision. Imagine Agnelli telling him we have all this rapport together, can you at least take time to rethink your decision? and Conte says no. I think the club owes him at least a rethinking of his decision to leave.

The bitterness that people have towards his departure is because the impression that we first had is that Conte suddenly left us in pre-season without any warning. That would have been definitely a shitty move and a stab in the back to the club. We only found out that this was planned by management and Conte after the whole debacle exploded and people were already hurt. A lot of people are yet to get over that first impression they had of the events.

Not only was the first impression that Conte suddenly jumped shipped, it was also coupled with the horror of knowing that Allegri (who was considered an incompetent coach by a majority of serie A fans) will replace him. We felt that by jumping ship we are forced to take an incompetent coach and the whole Juve project is in danger of regression if not collapse. The first impression had us stabbed in the back & forced to use an incompetent coach in panic.

Only later we found out that management knew about how he feels from the season before and have given him time to rethink his decision and that Allegri was planned from the start. Imagine that all this was public knowledge from the start. Imagine that after our scudetto celebrations, Agnelli came out and said that Conte is thinking about leaving the club and that since we value him so highly, we gave him time to reconsider his decision and that the final decision will be announced early in preseason and that if Conte were to decide to leave, the club will hire allegri.
Who would you have been outraged at? Conte? Hell no. You would have been outraged at management and would have been panicking the entire summer and praying that he stays. You'd have pressured management to give him more money or a bigger transfer kit.

Even the scenario that you say Conte should have followed is much worse. Imagine again that Agnelli publicly said that Conte has told us he is leaving and that we told him to rethink it over the summer and yet Conte refused to even rethink it despite of the club's assurance that they have a replacement lined up if he leaves. You would have been questioning his love for Juve and saying management assured him that everything is under control if he leaves.. he could have atleast gave himself time to think about it.

So try to get over the first impression by absorbing the new facts.What you thought had happened did not actually happen. Adjust your emotions accordingly.
This was quite a good read :tup:

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Whose way should he setup his team? The media? Does Allegri or any good coach you have ever seen employ tactics that he doesnt think are best for his squad?
I don't mean just as a coach but also a person. He's brash, uncompromising, indefatigable, completely ruthless in his convictions. These are great strengths on one side, and made us a fearsome team again, but people like this don't like being told "no". As a club we've had to do that, maybe because his demands were unobtainable with our resources. When you read his comments it seems that is the case.

Anyway we've moved on past this guy now, he won't be forgotten but I'm long past having the fear I did of him not being on the bench. I think Allegri is perfect for our current side in the way he delegates between the players and the coach, the ability to play good cop and bad cop, plus his tactical versatility.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
Allegri's demeanour on the sideline is way more Stile Juve than Conte ever was. Reminds me of Lippi at times, especially his sense of humour, charm, the way he seems pretty calm and composed on the sidelines (but can explode at a moments notice) Those Tuscans :touched:

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
You can talk about like stile Juve, but what I mentionned was the more key part. A coach that's an actual obbsessesive Juventino besides being a champion figure for us. Seeing his crazy passion for the team on the sidelines. That was utterly priceless.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Poised collected gentleman is not for everyone. Conte was allways a hot-headed and emotional southerner and it won't change. Neither should it.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009

Not only was the first impression that Conte suddenly jumped ship, it was also coupled with the horror of knowing that Allegri (who was considered an incompetent coach by a majority of serie A fans) will replace him. We felt that by jumping ship we are forced to take an incompetent coach and the whole Juve project is in danger of regression if not collapse. The first impression had us stabbed in the back & forced to use an incompetent coach in panic.

Even the scenario that you say Conte should have followed is much worse. Imagine again that Agnelli publicly said that Conte has told us he is leaving and that we told him to rethink it over the summer and yet Conte refused to even rethink it despite the club's assurance that they have a replacement lined up if he leaves. You would have been questioning his love for Juve and saying management assured him that everything is under control if he leaves.. he could have atleast gave himself time to think about it.

Lo-Pan?

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Seeing his crazy passion for the team on the sidelines. That was utterly priceless.
It was nice but honestly I am almost indifferent to what a coach does on the touchline. Maybe it's because I was bored to death with many years listening to how a coach (manager) should behave on the touchline in England, having to be seen screaming and waving his arms about, and if he doesn't then he isn't doing his job or doesn't care enough.

Fans like vocal characters. That's why Liverpool fans fell over themselves when Klopp was appointed, why the English love Mourinho, Ferguson, all the others who scream and shout like a Sunday league coach. Personally I couldn't care, if I was a Liverpool fan I'd be disappointed so far (but then I would probably be used to it :D). Ultimately I think you should only be screaming like a banshee when the team isn't doing the basics that have been taught in training all week or over a season, like a kick up the arse, or else it loses potency.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 107)