Antonio Conte (154 Viewers)

How would you rate Conte's (dis)appointment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Vialli_92

Mar 7, 2013
True, but his two statements do not contradict each other as you suggested.
If he was taking it seriously would he not put out a full squad? He didn't do that against Fiorentina and he didn't want the players to kill the game off against an injury ridden Fiorentina team that we were playing at home?

That sounds to me like he is not taking it very seriously the competition anyway.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
If he was taking it seriously would he not put out a full squad? He didn't do that against Fiorentina and he didn't want the players to kill the game off against an injury ridden Fiorentina team that we were playing at home?

That sounds to me like he is not taking it very seriously the competition anyway.
The interpretation of his actions is another issue entirely, but he is not contradicting himself verbally.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
They (Conte, Marotta, Agnelli) said at the beginning of the season that the scudetto was most important, three consecutive scudetti etc, not sure why anyone would think it would change now we're in the glamorous Europa League.
It doesn't become any less important if we decide to take the return leg of a crucial pre quarters game swriously, with the double figure lead that we have in the serie a. You've got to consider the situation match by match and play those situations on merit. It's like saying we won't take the el final seriously if we have a serie a game coming up that would mathematically seal the title. This tie is wide open and we need to give it our best on Thursday.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
It doesn't become any less important if we decide to take the return leg of a crucial pre quarters game swriously, with the double figure lead that we have in the serie a. You've got to consider the situation match by match and play those situations on merit. It's like saying we won't take the el final seriously if we have a serie a game coming up that would mathematically seal the title. This tie is wide open and we need to give it our best on Thursday.
But we don't take it match by match, scudetto is first, this has been shown already. Maybe now we're at a point where Conte will start to look towards a stronger line up for the EL, but for me his hand has been somewhat forced by injuries and the strength of the opponent anyway.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
:agree: We should be happy that we are bout to conquer our 3rd consecutive Scudetto, and in the process potentially break the 100 point barrier. That last objective is far more important than winning the EL.
Juventus haven't won three consecutive titles for 80 years, not under Trap, not under Lippi, so yes that IS an achievement.
Also folk are deliberately ignoring that fact that although the Gala result was hurtful they DO have an extremely experienced team and played the conditions better.

We are not out of Europe by a long way...if we do them by all means hitch away

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
In response to those saying we are spoiled and ungrateful, I speak for myself when I say that it's not that I think Conte's doing a bad job, and I definitely don't want him replaced. But he is not perfect, and it's not the results that are the problem, and it seems that is what you are accusing others of taking for granted.

My gripe is two things. One, his apparent lack of interest in winning another trophy that we are more than capable of. And two, the way that we defend 1-0 leads against inferior opponents that we were dominating prior to scoring. We could have well put more goals past them, but instead gave them belief and momentum. And it uses a lot more energy to concede possession and run around chasing the ball and covering space, than to make the opposition do it.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Conte isn't the one who sets objectives before the season starts, so if we lack interest to win the EL the blame is on Agnelli. He's the one who demands certain results, while Conte simply follows his orders. If Agnelli believes that further EL run might hurt our chances for Scudetto (right now it'd be ridiculous) Conte cannot do anything to change that without risking his position.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
I don't think it will upset Agnelli if we try to win another trophy, as long as we don't throw away the Scudetto (which is a silly thought)

"Antonio, I told you I only want the Scudetto, what is this EL shit?!" Nah...

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
But we don't take it match by match, scudetto is first, this has been shown already. Maybe now we're at a point where Conte will start to look towards a stronger line up for the EL, but for me his hand has been somewhat forced by injuries and the strength of the opponent anyway.
At the start of the season, sure, we won't take it match by match and clearly outline our priorities. But with 10 matches to go, and an 11/14 point lead domestically, you'd think it may be worth risking a draw/loss domestically (if even) if it meant progressing past a worthy opponent in the EL. You have to play it match by match here, on it's merit. Like I said earlier, I wouldn't agree with the philosophy of not taking an EL final seriously, if it came on the eve of a match weekend that would mathematically secure our scudetto title. We have the luxury of a fair buffer to double on our success this season, and I just don't see why we shouldn't give it a fair shot, even considering the priorities we have.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Neither do I at this point in the season, that's why I said it'd be ridiculous supposition. But I just as well don't see that Conte snubs EL as some here suggest. Beside Barzagli (who's injured) and Chiellini he fielded very strong team last Thursday.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
They (Conte, Marotta, Agnelli) said at the beginning of the season that the scudetto was most important, three consecutive scudetti etc, not sure why anyone would think it would change now we're in the glamorous Europa League.
Maybe because not every year we can win an european trophy in our stadium?. And also we are ind ebt to our fans for the CL debacle.

It would be beyond stupid to led pass this golden oportunity, which, lets be sincere, will not repeat again in maybe 100 years.

And like some said, deep inside we KNOW the scudetto is ours to lose. It wouldnt hurt to slip some points if that meant to destroy the rats. Now look what happened.... the genoa game was very demanding physically for both starters and benches. We go with tired legs to face an eager Fiorentina.

Seriously, i know the scudetto was a prime objective...but, we fukin sealed it already!!!. Lets go on and try to get the EL cup in front of our fans and write a remarcable chapter!!!.

BUT NO!...

I guess Conte knows what he is doing right?.

Pffft.

UNless Agnelli and Elkann personally ordered Conte to just forget about EL, which is stupid as fuk...i ill not get his mentality towards this competition.

He better prepares the team for a supreme display on thursday...because Myself and most SANE fans will not admit a defeat. Not like this.

PedroFlu

Sep 20, 2011
Conte is doing a fucking absolutely beautiful and historical job, taking Juve from the mess it was, laughable stock in Italy, to complete domination in 3 consecutive seasons. There wasn't even a transition season!

But he has to show that he can aim higher now, without excuses.

Let's hope we can go through Fiorentina. This will do wonders for this club. They will be clearly more rested than us. Let's see.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 144)