Antonio Conte (158 Viewers)

How would you rate Conte's (dis)appointment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

I am John

The Anallist
May 1, 2012
I also being objective in the sense that we don't have the players of Bayern calibre, and the fact that changing tactics from what we already used to for almost all the season is not as easy as the fans would expect.

I would say he failed if we were beaten by minnows like Celtic, or by level teams like the Milanos (like we already did, that times he failed big time), but against Bayern, its fairly normal to say the least.

Buy on AliExpress.com

samfisher5

Jan 30, 2013
wow, so sure, admirable.
did you watch Bayern last year? this year? saying they are overrated is like saying you only watch football starting yesterday.
and as much as I dislike the germans, I have to say they are one of the best footballing countries with the better league than most of Europe, and certainly better than Italy at the present.
lol @ thinking that Germany is one of the best footballing countries. Their 3 world cups are won with the help of the referees, the Bundesliga has won 6 CLs in total which is as much as the Eredvisie and that is considering the fact that the Dutch teams always sell their best players. Also, the 4 CLs of Bayern are won with the help of the referees , during the 70s they had a pricelist of all the referees in Europe and defeated Leeds in probably the most disgraceful final in the history of the European Cup. The one against Valencia in 2001 was also unfair - the penalty they got in order to equalise was ridiculous.

Germany rarely has produced amazing footballers of the calibre of Del Piero, Rivaldo, Messi ,Maradona, Ronaldo etc. German football hasn't won an international trophy since 2001 . So what makes you think that Germany is one of the best footballing nations ?

I am John

The Anallist
May 1, 2012
lol @ thinking that Germany is one of the best footballing countries. Their 3 world cups are won with the help of the referees, the Bundesliga has won 6 CLs in total which is as much as the Eredvisie and that is considering the fact that the Dutch teams always sell their best players. Also, the 4 CLs of Bayern are won with the help of the referees , during the 70s they had a pricelist of all the referees in Europe and defeated Leeds in probably the most disgraceful final in the history of the European Cup. The one against Valencia in 2001 was also unfair - the penalty they got in order to equalise was ridiculous.

Germany rarely has produced amazing footballers of the calibre of Del Piero, Rivaldo, Messi ,Maradona, Ronaldo etc. German football hasn't won an international trophy since 2001 . So what makes you think that Germany is one of the best footballing nations ?
I will not state my reasoning as I found it useless to argue with someone that believe in 'the help of referees'.
You can say that Juve win the 30 Scudetti by the help of referees as well, thats just purely subjective.

Apr 8, 2013
I also being objective in the sense that we don't have the players of Bayern calibre, and the fact that changing tactics from what we already used to for almost all the season is not as easy as the fans would expect.

I would say he failed if we were beaten by minnows like Celtic, or by level teams like the Milanos (like we already did, that times he failed big time), but against Bayern, its fairly normal to say the least.
IMO he should have done something more, not just with tactics but also in terms of play-making. That was really poor, just long balls by Bonucci/Pirlo and long shots. You can't trouble Bayern defense with something like this, especially if your attackers often can't keep an high ball.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009

What does the past (in which you imo underestimate the Germans, but that's beside the point) have to do with the current state of European football anyway?

The German league is a better one than the Italian. That's not an opinion, mind you, that's a fact. And I'd say that being in the top 3 (soon to be top 2 maybe?) in Europe, makes it one of the best footballing countries.

Wait, I almost forgot: lol

OP
Dostoevsky

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
  • Thread Starter #20,968
    What does the past (in which you imo underestimate the Germans, but that's beside the point) have to do with the current state of European football anyway?

The German league is a better one than the Italian. That's not an opinion, mind you, that's a fact. And I'd say that being in the top 3 (soon to be top 2 maybe?) in Europe, makes it one of the best footballing countries.

This.

It's just wrong to think otherwise at this point.

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
    If we had changed from 3-5-2 yesterday, it would've have backfired. Having played the same formation all season, a sudden switch would not have improved our play. But yes, a variation on Conte's formation needs to be worked on for future cases. I still think his 3-5-2 is very strong, A very good Bayern just showed it's limitations; it's pretty toothless and can be exposed when we need to force a result. The forwards get completely isolated, when our team gets countered properly. It looked like an ocean between midfield and the forward line.

In two years Bayern is the only team to have nullified our team so much. Let's keep some perspective at least.
    :agree:

And there are relatively minor adjustments that could be made to the 3-5-2 that could make a difference in certain games, with 3-5-2 being retained as the default system:

You could twist it a little to move to a back four, with the left-back becoming a left-midfielder and make the formation somewhere in between 3-5-2 and 4-4-2 (like Juve did away to Shakhtar);

Or you could start work on something like what was spoken about in the build-up to the first game against Bayern with an extra midfielder playing instead of a forward in big games.

Other things I'd come up with would be more drastic, without necessarily changing everying.

Could a 3-4-3 type system work, for instance, if Conte really wants to stick to a back three? It could make Juve a little light in midfield, but could stop Juve being taken apart on the flanks they way they were against Bayern.

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
    Who would you play in the middle of that 3-4-3?

Licht-Vidal-?-Asamoah?
    Tough call that.

Could be a struggle for Pirlo in a two-man midfield, particularly if the opposition has three in there.

Would then come down to what was required in a particular game as to whether I would go for Marchisio or Pogba.

samfisher5

Jan 30, 2013

Question : Does that matter if you can't win a single international trophy ? If German football is so strogn right now , why haven't they won a trophy since 2001 ? Serie A has won 3 CL in that period : 2003 Milan ( an Italian final, and Inter were in the semis as well ), 2007 Milan and 2010 Inter, which is actually pretty recent. If German football is so strong, why did Borussia need the help of the referees to eliminate Malaga, one of the weakest, if not the weakes side in the quarters ?

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
    Did anyone notice the player's reaction when Bayern scored?! Normally when you believe you're in the game, you'd be upset, you'd show your anger, express it, whatever. But nobody reacted, almost like they were accepting that they were being outplayed. It just showed we were not ready for this tie, whether it was because we believed they were better or we didn't believe in our ability at all. Conte must take e blame for that because he failed to get the team going. Bayern were the better team on paper, but they were even better on the pitch. We made them look better. We are to blame for that. It great we got to the QF, but we should've put up a fight. It's the way we lost that's sad. That's all.

Mar 9, 2006
    The education system in Soviet Russia. Horrific.
    :kogoi:

- - - Updated - - -

Did anyone notice the player's reaction when Bayern scored?! Normally when you believe you're in the game, you'd be upset, you'd show your anger, express it, whatever. But nobody reacted, almost like they were accepting that they were being outplayed. It just showed we were not ready for this tie, whether it was because we believed they were better or we didn't believe in our ability at all. Conte must take e blame for that because he failed to get the team going. Bayern were the better team on paper, but they were even better on the pitch. We made them look better. We are to blame for that. It great we got to the QF, but we should've put up a fight. It's the way we lost that's sad. That's all.
    Dude, Conte lost it right after the draw were made

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
    Did you expect the team to score 4 goals in 25 minutes? Of course you would give up when a team like Bayern takes it to 3-0 on aggregate that late into the match.

You can talk all you want about Conte's tactical errors and wrong lineup selections, but when it comes to desire and grit, questioning Conte is just laughable really.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 150)