Antonio Conte (86 Viewers)

How would you rate Conte's (dis)appointment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
:lol: so taking the job at Juve with no prior top level experience where there are are high demands and coaches were fired regularly. Coaching Italy knowing it has the worst ever squad is a pussy move. Going to Chelsea knowing how trigger happy abrahomivic after the Chelsea Legend Mourinhos team collapsed and had him sacked is a pussy move.

Brave coaches stay away from broken clubs with high expectations and high turn over rates of coaches. Brave coaches take already winning teams. Pep was the bravest coach for going to bayern until he did the pussy move of taking the City job.
So are you saying that Allegri was a pussy for going into what was essentially a no-win situation for him by coming here?

Buy on AliExpress.com

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
:lol: so taking the job at Juve with no prior top level experience where there are are high demands and coaches were fired regularly. Coaching Italy knowing it has the worst ever squad is a pussy move. Going to Chelsea knowing how trigger happy abrahomivic after the Chelsea Legend Mourinhos team collapsed and had him sacked is a pussy move.

Brave coaches stay away from broken clubs with high expectations and high turn over rates of coaches. Brave coaches take already winning teams. Pep was the bravest coach for going to bayern until he did the pussy move of taking the City job.
well he didnt really have offers from other top clubs lined up to chose from when we 1st signed him, im 100% sure the next best job for him after Juve would have been something like Genoa (at best)

Snobist

DareDevil
Apr 16, 2017
Will the mods move his thread to rookies/history?
I just cant imagine him celebrating a goal like a mad man in Juve stadium. I can imagine the names he would be called here. Lol

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
So are you saying that Allegri was a pussy for going into what was essentially a no-win situation for him by coming here?
Following a legend like Conte was definitely a ballsy move especially that his reputation wasnt that good because of what happened at the end with Milan.

I was simply making the point that it is beyond hilarious to suggest that taking the job at Chelsea after Mou has just been sacked, knowing everything we know about Abramovic is a pussy move.

The only more brave move to make as a coach is to coach palermo.

- - - Updated - - -

Go back a couple of pages and read the link that Abel posted. I did not conclude how but apparently others could see that he would join Inter based on what he said in his book.
He was just saying in his last press conference that he will be staying in England for some time to come.

- - - Updated - - -

i think the articles arent supposed to convince anyone Conte would join inter, but rather to reveal a few things about Conte like

- hes a professional
- he needs motivation to work on something, and money isnt the deciding thing in his decisions
- he wants to have a say in things and control over the team operations
- he values a promise a lot, and he isnt hesitating to leave a job if you give him a word and dont hold it

we obviously dont know whats going on at Chelsea behind the scenes but something can break down there between him and the board at any time (like it did countless times before in his career) and someone like him would quit the job then. add to that the fact that inter wants him (and if you read part 5 of that article X posted, you can see how he was mad at the Bari president for not giving him the job because he was from Lecce, and how he says that these things shouldnt matter as he is a professional), that his family is in Italy, that he would likely be given a chance to work with the directors on the transfer market to get his preferred targets, and one shouldnt be surprised if he joins them. i already said that i cant see it happen this summer, but all it takes is something behind the scenes to break down there at London, and once/if he isnt the Chelsea manager anymore, inter becomes a possible destination
If he keeps doing well and then falls out with Chelsea management in a year or two I think there will be way more suitors for him in England alone to keep him away from Italy. His stature and profile is expanding. One of Chelsea's competitors will snatch him up. Possibly Bayern and Real would possibly be interested too if he has a successful couple of seasons at Chelsea then falls out with management. PSG at the very least.

Inter is a complete non-entity at the moment and will take years to bring them to a decent level.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
I can see him joining Inter, sounds like a challenge he could get obsessed about. Would be sad though, I was really enjoying seeing Inter every season talking about challenging for Scudetto, then talking about securing Champions League places and in the end trying sneak into Europa League places. Mind boggling how bad they've done since the treble - 2nd, 6th, 9th, 5th, 8th, 4th and 7th/8th this season :rofl:

their manager list in that time is quite funny too, Benitez, Leonardo, Gasperini, Ranieri, Stramaccioni, Mazzari, Mancini, de Boer and Pioli. Conte clearly doesn't fit in with those guys.

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
their manager list in that time is quite funny too, Benitez, Leonardo, Gasperini, Ranieri, Stramaccioni, Mazzari, Mancini, de Boer and Pioli. Conte clearly doesn't fit in with those guys.
Conte is clearly better than anyone on this list, but I think even he is not able to quickly fix the mess Inda is right now. You need a proper organization behind a coach to have a shot at any long-term goals. Inda has at least top4 squad (imho Inda's starting 11 is better than Romas and on par with Napoli) in Seria A. And bolded coaches are not that bad imo, not a Conte level (it's like 5 coaches in the world at his level), but decent coaches. But you can't build on a swamp.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Conte is clearly better than anyone on this list, but I think even he is not able to quickly fix the mess Inda is right now. You need a proper organization behind a coach to have a shot at any long-term goals. Inda has at least top4 squad (imho Inda's starting 11 is better than Romas and on par with Napoli) in Seria A. And bolded coaches are not that bad imo, not a Conte level (it's like 5 coaches in the world at his level), but decent coaches. But you can't build on a swamp.
nah, Benitez is a disaster coach, last time he did good was about 10 years ago. they are not all useless or outdated coaches, but it's still funny how they keep betting on these coaches that might get a result out of them instead of going for proven fixers.

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
Its only because his family is still in Italy that these rumours of Inter are still around other than that there absolutely nothing in it. Yet people here are berating this legend like he has already gone and is now a traitor. :lol:

By the way the Express is linking Conte to Barca...

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
nah, Benitez is a disaster coach, last time he did good was about 10 years ago
He is clearly was massively overrated at some point, but he is not that bad. He managed Napoli almost on the same level as Sarri and some people here were fapping themselves over classless banker. I think it actually shows that coaches have not that critical impact in a proper run club. And Napoli is a proper run club only compared to the chinese flying circus.

enzo

May 14, 2012
Inter would definitely be a challenge he found interesting, but so is Champions League. I'm pretty sure he wants to prove himself on European level.

Paid-off-Ref

Dec 16, 2004
Say what you want about the quality of play in the Premier League but the league is really really competitive. Odds are Conte is not going retain the title next year and he fears that will make him look worse. Conte is like George Costanza, he wants escape on a high note while he can.

Plus when he goes to Inter he can use his favourite excuse again, "Remember last year...". Except at Inter he has a five year span he can refer to. Not to mention he has no problem stabbing Juve in the back.

JMCFC

May 8, 2017
Hello all,

I'm a Chelsea fan and I come in peace. Congratulations on reaching the final (near enough) of the Champions League. Would be nice to see someone destroy the Spanish duopoly of Real and Barca and you've already beaten one.

As we will be competing in the CL next season, why did Conte struggle so much in the competition when he was Juve manager?

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Hello all,

I'm a Chelsea fan and I come in peace. Congratulations on reaching the final (near enough) of the Champions League. Would be nice to see someone destroy the Spanish duopoly of Real and Barca and you've already beaten one.

As we will be competing in the CL next season, why did Conte struggle so much in the competition when he was Juve manager?
It's hard to say. Some people say tactics, some say player choices. Others say it was a lack of the proper talent, but Allegri took the same squad + Morata and Evra and we reached the Finals with them

Me personally? I think it was due to inexperience. One thing that Allegri's Juve have shown us the past few years is that you have to really alter your playing style in order to succeed in Europe. This could be something that Conte was not yet fully aware of, and learning as he went. You rarely find a situation like Zidane at Madrid that took over a ready made CL championship squad and win the whole damn thing less than a year into your coaching tenure.

Which could benefit Chelsea down the road

JMCFC

May 8, 2017
It's hard to say. Some people say tactics, some say player choices. Others say it was a lack of the proper talent, but Allegri took the same squad + Morata and Evra and we reached the Finals with them

Me personally? I think it was due to inexperience. One thing that Allegri's Juve have shown us the past few years is that you have to really alter your playing style in order to succeed in Europe. This could be something that Conte was not yet fully aware of, and learning as he went.

Which could benefit Chelsea down the road
To be honest, I see you beating Real Madrid. Juventus are the one team in Europe that I find have no weaknesses. You have quality in every single position not to mention you easily have the best defence in the world. Think if you had someone like Hazard operating on the left of your side then you'd be the most all round and perhaps even the best team in the world.

I've always found it bizarre how Conte struggled in Europe with you guys given how strong you are defensively and how good your midfield was under him. Allegri seems to have taken Juventus to another level though. Is that because Allegri is a better manager or because Conte is better at building whereas Allegri is the man to improve a good squad further?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Hello all,

Well, you'll be playing in the CL. I wouldn't exactly say you'll be competing though.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
To be honest, I see you beating Real Madrid. Juventus are the one team in Europe that I find have no weaknesses. You have quality in every single position not to mention you easily have the best defence in the world. Think if you had someone like Hazard operating on the left of your side then you'd be the most all round and perhaps even the best team in the world.

I've always found it bizarre how Conte struggled in Europe with you guys given how strong you are defensively and how good your midfield was under him. Allegri seems to have taken Juventus to another level though. Is that because Allegri is a better manager or because Conte is better at building whereas Allegri is the man to improve a good squad further?
I really do think that it was a learning experience for Conte during that time. Sure, it kinda sucked that we needed to see him go through that, but it is what it is.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Hello all,

He did well in his 1st season, even though he lacked great players on offense (Vucinic, Giovinco, Quagliarella, Matri, Bendtner and Anelka were our forwards). He finished top of the group ahead of Shakhtar and Chelsea after overcoming a weak start (3 draws on the opening 3 games), and kicked out Celtic fairly easily in the Ro.16. Then vs Bayern we went out but we were without Asamoah (our starting LWB, alternative was Peluso), and both our creative forwards, Vucinic and Giovinco were on the bench due to injuries and we had to field what was probably the most uncreative attacking duo in CL quarterfinal history in Matri-Quagliarella (both Vucinic and Giovinco were later introduced and instantly made a difference, but we missed the 2-3 chances we had). Mandzukic and Muller marked Pirlo our of the game and we had no attacking wings to play around it. In the 2nd game we were without Vidal, Lichtsteiner and couldnt score a goal on the 1st half but instead conceded, so it was over. But that Bayern was a machine, so im not holding it against him.

The 2nd season is where he screwed up, we had a new attacking duo of Tevez-Llorente and we couldnt beat Galata in both games (1 loss, 1 draw) and lost 2 points away to te danish team (no idea why, but we drew in Denmark the season before too, maybe he was underestimating them or was too inexperienced to know how to handle those games), so we finished 3rd in our group. He did mostly well in the Europa League up until the semifinal when we couldnt beat a 10 man Benfica at home (he fielded 8 starters in a game away at Sassuolo only 3 days before the return leg vs Benfica and imo didnt make good subs and not at the right time in that return leg).

All in all, his european record in those 2 years wasnt a complete failure, but wasnt anything extraordinary. IT had to do with a few factors imo:
-He was too inexperienced and too stubborn at times
-The team was still on the building process, and lacked attacking options and gamechangers on the bench
-He wasnt very flexible tactically and unwilling to change things sometimes (stubborness as already mentioned above)
-He didnt rotate the squad effectively on the league for the key players to be fresh for the european games

Looking at the team you guys have, you can do well next season with a few additions (depth in defense and for the wingbacks mostly), but even then it will depend on how much his way of thinking has improved since he left us, because if hes still the same stubborn mule, it can cost you guys when it will matter most

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
I really do think that it was a learning experience for Conte during that time. Sure, it kinda sucked that we needed to see him go through that, but it is what it is.
That's a really good point. Allegri had played 34 European games with Milan. It sounds questionable but I took it from here:

http://www.uefa.com/teamsandplayers/coaches/coach=22734/profile/index.html.

Conte on the other hand had zero but now has 18.

http://www.uefa.com/teamsandplayers/coaches/coach=19222/profile/index.html

There are of course exceptions such as Mourinho with Porto and with it being relatively easier when you got a squad like Real's (Zidane) and Barca (Pep).

An important argument in favour of conte is that he was never at the sidelines ( assistant, second assistant, youth coach) at a big club and in CL, something all the managers have had experience of. It's fair to say, experience comes in all shapes and sizes.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Hello all,

Some (not all of course) was simply down to bad luck. The first season was pretty good anyways, and in the second the group stage was kinda messed up at times. We had a ridiculous amount of missed chances against the Danes & Galatasaray and home, could've easily gained 4 points instead of 1 against Real.

And then of course there was the final game against Galatasaray where they beat us, which was an absolute joke and probably shouldn't have ever been played under the snow storm that was there, but UEFA didn't want to postpone the draw.

I'm not saying that Conte didn't make some mistakes as well, and in general I do believe that you create your own luck, but the reputation of him being bad in Europe is at times hugely exaggerated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 80)

• Alin
  • JCK