Antonio Conte (132 Viewers)

How would you rate Conte's (dis)appointment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
Yeah that's true. It's nice to have the option I guess.

Seeing an awful lot of parallels with that first Juve season so far.
not changing lineups is not one, though. conte constantly changed his team and formation until he found out that 3-5-2 with bbc+mvp would work the best. we even had players like estigarribia, elia, de ceglie, krasic, grosso (etc) starting on a couple of occasions.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
not changing lineups is not one, though. conte constantly changed his team and formation until he found out that 3-5-2 with bbc+mvp would work the best. we even had players like estigarribia, elia, de ceglie, krasic, grosso (etc) starting on a couple of occasions.
Yeah it took him a bit longer, but we had inferior players to this Chelsea.

Jun 6, 2015
Yeah it took him a bit longer, but we had inferior players to this Chelsea.
Not sure on that.

Buffon
Lichtsteiner Barzagli Bonucci Chiellini
Pirlo
Vidal Marchisio
Pepe Matri Vucinic

Buffon
Barzagli Bonucci Chiellini
Pirlo
Lichtsteiner Vidal Marchisio De Ceglie
Matri Vucinic

Vs

Courtois
Azpi Luiz Cahill
Moses Kante Matic Alonso
Pedro Costa Hazard​

Actually we had a much better team apart from the forwards. Our GK/DEF easily better than theirs. Our central midfield easily better than theirs. Lichtsteiner > Moses, Alonso > De Ceglie. Their attack is way better though.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
We were definitely weaker from the point those players started out from. The likes of Barzagli and Bonucci were nothing close to their current standing. Neither was Marchisio. Matri was nothing more than a decent striker, and Vucinic a good-very good one on his day. That Chelsea front three is miles ahead. Our starting midfield is ahead.

Also, you are only comparing starting XIs, Chelsea's squad overall is stronger. We had very little quality off the bench - a waning Del Piero was one, then the likes of Quagliarella, Borriello, Giaccherini and the outcast wingers Elia and Krasic. Chelsea have Willian, Fabregas, Batshuayi, Terry etc. But it's not surprise given the financial difference between the two sides at those points.

Jun 6, 2015
We were definitely weaker from the point those players started out from. The likes of Barzagli and Bonucci were nothing close to their current standing. Neither was Marchisio. Matri was nothing more than a decent striker, and Vucinic a good-very good one on his day. That Chelsea front three is miles ahead. Our starting midfield is ahead.

Also, you are only comparing starting XIs, Chelsea's squad overall is stronger. We had very little quality off the bench - a waning Del Piero was one, then the likes of Quagliarella, Borriello, Giaccherini and the outcast wingers Elia and Krasic. Chelsea have Willian, Fabregas, Batshuayi, Terry etc. But it's not surprise given the financial difference between the two sides at those points.
Barzagli was a monster during Conte's first season and even Bonucci was much improved. Marchisio had probably his best year as a box to box mid. I rated their ability on that time not current form. I agree they do have better depth but comparing the starting XIs we had the stronger quite clearly apart from the attackers.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Barzagli was a monster during Conte's first season and even Bonucci was much improved. Marchisio had probably his best year as a box to box mid. I rated their ability on that time not current form. I agree they do have better depth but comparing the starting XIs we had the stronger quite clearly apart from the attackers.
As I said, I'm talking about the squads he inherited, not what he did with them.

Jun 6, 2015
As I said, I'm talking about the squads he inherited, not what he did with them.
The Chelsea squad he inherited was shit and finished 10th in the league. He has completely reinvigorated most of those players as well. There are lot of similarities between both cases. The difference was that we brought more quality in along with Conte with the likes of Pirlo, Vidal and Lichtsteiner completely revamping our team. I see no reason to compare us before Conte and Chelsea before Conte if you want to compare the squads he had at his disposal.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Not sure on that.

Buffon
Lichtsteiner Barzagli Bonucci Chiellini
Pirlo
Vidal Marchisio
Pepe Matri Vucinic

Buffon
Barzagli Bonucci Chiellini
Pirlo
Lichtsteiner Vidal Marchisio De Ceglie
Matri Vucinic

Vs

Courtois
Azpi Luiz Cahill
Moses Kante Matic Alonso
Pedro Costa Hazard​

Actually we had a much better team apart from the forwards. Our GK/DEF easily better than theirs. Our central midfield easily better than theirs. Lichtsteiner > Moses, Alonso > De Ceglie. Their attack is way better though.
Our squad better than theirs in retrospect. That is after Conte turned most of our players on beast mode and you evaluate them 5 years later. Think of how you viewed our players when they werent winning shit.

He just started turning his Chelsea players into beast mode. That insanely bad defense might turn out to be world class if Chelsea are as successful. :lol:
you might ind yourself rating luiz like bonnucci, azpi like barzagli and moses like licht eventually.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Our squad better than theirs in retrospect. That is after Conte turned most of our players on beast mode and you evaluate them 5 years later. Think of how you viewed our players when they werent winning shit.

He just started turning his Chelsea players into beast mode. That insanely bad defense might turn out to be world class if Chelsea are as successful. :lol:
you might ind yourself rating luiz like bonnucci, azpi like barzagli and moses like licht eventually.
lol never happening. Azpilicueta over Licht probably is possible tho

Jun 6, 2015

I remember very well who was good and who was not when Conte came. It's ridiculous to even suggest that Azpilicueta or Cahill are or ever will be anything close to what Barzagli and Chiellini were even before Conte. Bonucci when Conte came was a question mark but he was quite young still at that time while Luiz is the same age as Bonucci is at the moment.

Pirlo and Vidal were already world class while Lichtsteiner was the best right back in Serie A at Lazio. I know most on here probably viewed us as lost cause before Conte came but I certainly don't fit that criteria. I knew we had enough quality once the players found the right mentality and motivation. No one does that better than Conte.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Imo the last two victories have perhaps been a bit deceiving - Chelsea had some luck too, if Tottenham or City had made more of their chances the matches could've easily went the other way too.

Doesn't take anything away from the hugely impressive work he's done with the team of course.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Imo the last two victories have perhaps been a bit deceiving - Chelsea had some luck too, if Tottenham or City had made more of their chances the matches could've easily went the other way too.

Doesn't take anything away from the hugely impressive work he's done with the team of course.
Sounds a lot like milan fans when he was here :p anyways season is still long if he makes the CL it is enough imo

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Can we also take into consideration that the competition in the league that he is facing is more difficult than what he had in his first year with us?

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds a lot like milan fans when he was here :p anyways season is still long if he makes the CL it is enough imo
He's winning the whole fucking thing, and the English media will lose their minds at the fact that two italian coaches in a row will have won the title

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Can we also take into consideration that the competition in the league that he is facing is more difficult than what he had in his first year with us?

- - - Updated - - -

He's winning the whole fucking thing, and the English media will lose their minds at the fact that two italian coaches in a row will have won the title
That Milan when most were fit is better than anything the EPL has currently. Even inter looked quite good on paper

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 7, Guests: 118)