Antonio Conte (137 Viewers)

How would you rate Conte's (dis)appointment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Vialli_92

Mar 7, 2013
The biggest problem with Conte was his defeated attitude towards the CL.

We were out of the CL before it even started. No one can tell me we didn't have the talent to defeat Copenhagen, Nordsjaelland, and Galatasaray.

Our players thought we were inferior to everyone because of Conte's press conferences and our defensive tactics didn't help either.

Conte had the league down pat, but when it came to Europe we were absolutely pathetic.
Truer words have never been spoken, His attitude towards the CL really pissed me off. Instead of having a never say die attitude his attitude was we are a weak team and the reason we went out of the group stages is because i dont have the players to do better which was all bullshit. Our starting 11 was more than good enough to get a last 16 place but Conte never took the blame for anything.

Against Benfica it was the ref's fault why we didn't score in 90 minutes and not the fact his tactics were terrible for Europe when we had to chase a game.

I will always be so great full to him for what he done for this club as a player and more importantly taking us back to winning as a manger when our future looked so bleak. I dont think a lot of coaches could have won us the Scudetto in 2012 it really was a miracle and one of the best days of my life when we finally got that 30th Scudetto.

Vialli_92

Mar 7, 2013
Anyone remember the Bayern game in Turin? The team was dying for a change at 0-0 after half time me and my Juve friend were like why hasn't he brought some fresh players on? After Bayern made it 1-0 he decided to change it and bring Matri and someone else when it was like 10-15 mins to late.

He really did struggle badly in Europe with his tactics, will be interesting to see how he handles Europe again when he is there with a different team down the line. He always seemed 1 or 2 steps behind when the team was playing in Europe, i know he's only a young manager but it was worrying to see.

AlexOB

Apr 2, 2014
Motta's played two games last season IIRC, against Catania and Fiorentina. Don't remember a CL appearance by him.

- - - Updated - - -

Checked out, he didn't. He's also played a 3rd game, in Coppa against Avellino, tho. Conte sometimes was a bit mad, he started De Ceglie, Isla and Peluso in CL matches, but not that much. :D

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Truer words have never been spoken, His attitude towards the CL really pissed me off. Instead of having a never say die attitude his attitude was we are a weak team and the reason we went out of the group stages is because i dont have the players to do better which was all bull$#@!. Our starting 11 was more than good enough to get a last 16 place but Conte never took the blame for anything.

Against Benfica it was the ref's fault why we didn't score in 90 minutes and not the fact his tactics were terrible for Europe when we had to chase a game.

I will always be so great full to him for what he done for this club as a player and more importantly taking us back to winning as a manger when our future looked so bleak. I dont think a lot of coaches could have won us the Scudetto in 2012 it really was a miracle and one of the best days of my life when we finally got that 30th Scudetto.
He is a control freak. He keeps his players very rigid and organized. Over the course of the league season it's great because the team will never waiver in their organization and tactics. Every game they will be like soldiers, super consistent. So organized that Zach would fap uncontrollably to Juventus-Siena games. Over 38 games they will rarely drop points.

In Europe, it's a bit different to me. There are so many variables in group stage or knockout formats. For example, Gala is reeling and appoints Mancini. His first game is at Juventus. All he does is put a basic 3-5-2 which they never played before just to mimic us and pray for a draw. It's obvious from the 1st minute they're scared but we don't adjust our gameplan. We give them the ball and play timid and organized. They gain confidence, score a shit goal, then we open up the game and create 1000 chances but it's too late.

You have to understand in those conditions that if we press in the first 10 minutes and score a goal, it's over. They would have no thoughts of coming back.

Another example was when we drew FCK in our first match. We're applying huge pressure but can't score. We need a forward sub and he chooses Giovinco instead of Llorente because Llorente doesn't know every single minute intricacy of Conte's tactics or maybe because he didn't complete all levels of his Italian Rosetta Stone yet. But he's 6'5" and we're putting in crosses. FFS, I saw Llorente score a goal vs. Lazio where Lichtsteiner literally just shot the ball off his head and it went in the net.

But I don't think Conte has a good enough trust for his players. Always has to be controlling their movements. Against FCK, you just put your best players on the pitch and storm the net, like when you watch the EPL and a big team is down. They put on 4 fucking strikers and the opposition folds in 10 minutes.

Even small examples where Conte yells at Caceres to pass back vs. Madrid and he duffs it because he's scared by the coach. Constantly trying to motivate the squad because he doesn't trust them to do it themselves. And I always sort of cringed when Asamoah would be forced to come inside to make a play, win the ball or whatever, but immediately sprint back to the left wing without continuing on the play like he had an electric shock collar on his neck. We have one of the tallest teams around but Pirlo is taking short corners because Conte doesn't trust the players to stop a counter. Our tactics were always geared to protect our weaknesses instead of hurting the opposition.

I'm not saying it's a terrible coaching style, it certainly won many games, but I think there's ultimately a ceiling you reach when you coach like that unless you have one of the most talented squads on the planet.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
Motta's played two games last season IIRC, against Catania and Fiorentina. Don't remember a CL appearance by him.

- - - Updated - - -

Checked out, he didn't. He's also played a 3rd game, in Coppa against Avellino, tho. Conte sometimes was a bit mad, he started De Ceglie, Isla and Peluso in CL matches, but not that much. :D
Yeah, it was De Ceglie - I mixed them up.

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
Contes corners were disgusting

Which game was it where we passed a corner short then back and back until it was at Buffons feet?

Corners for us felt like we were defending them. Llorente and Pogba is in the box, nah let's go short and give it to Chiellini at the 30 yard mark

MikeM

Sep 21, 2008
Contes corners were disgusting

Which game was it where we passed a corner short then back and back until it was at Buffons feet?

Corners for us felt like we were defending them. Llorente and Pogba is in the box, nah let's go short and give it to Chiellini at the 30 yard mark
Even if you look at the rare times where we'll use a set play on a set piece, the movements will always be designed for the ball to be on the ground instead of the air because aerial balls are more conducive to being cleared and starting a counter. We liked to use that movement for Bonucci near the front post like when he scored against Shakhtar.

But you'll never see something like Muller's first goal against Brazil where they're intentionally running players into Muller's marker so that he can sprint free on the other side. It's too risky to play an aerial ball. :howler:

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
Honestly I nearly turned the tv off for a 20 minute crying session when I seen us needing a goal at 0-0 against some truely shit teams only to play a 'defensive corner'

Ffs we have arguably the best header of the ball going at top level football right now.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
He is a control freak. He keeps his players very rigid and organized. Over the course of the league season it's great because the team will never waiver in their organization and tactics. Every game they will be like soldiers, super consistent. So organized that Zach would fap uncontrollably to Juventus-Siena games. Over 38 games they will rarely drop points.

In Europe, it's a bit different to me. There are so many variables in group stage or knockout formats. For example, Gala is reeling and appoints Mancini. His first game is at Juventus. All he does is put a basic 3-5-2 which they never played before just to mimic us and pray for a draw. It's obvious from the 1st minute they're scared but we don't adjust our gameplan. We give them the ball and play timid and organized. They gain confidence, score a shit goal, then we open up the game and create 1000 chances but it's too late.

You have to understand in those conditions that if we press in the first 10 minutes and score a goal, it's over. They would have no thoughts of coming back.

Another example was when we drew FCK in our first match. We're applying huge pressure but can't score. We need a forward sub and he chooses Giovinco instead of Llorente because Llorente doesn't know every single minute intricacy of Conte's tactics or maybe because he didn't complete all levels of his Italian Rosetta Stone yet. But he's 6'5" and we're putting in crosses. FFS, I saw Llorente score a goal vs. Lazio where Lichtsteiner literally just shot the ball off his head and it went in the net.

But I don't think Conte has a good enough trust for his players. Always has to be controlling their movements. Against FCK, you just put your best players on the pitch and storm the net, like when you watch the EPL and a big team is down. They put on 4 fucking strikers and the opposition folds in 10 minutes.

Even small examples where Conte yells at Caceres to pass back vs. Madrid and he duffs it because he's scared by the coach. Constantly trying to motivate the squad because he doesn't trust them to do it themselves. And I always sort of cringed when Asamoah would be forced to come inside to make a play, win the ball or whatever, but immediately sprint back to the left wing without continuing on the play like he had an electric shock collar on his neck. We have one of the tallest teams around but Pirlo is taking short corners because Conte doesn't trust the players to stop a counter. Our tactics were always geared to protect our weaknesses instead of hurting the opposition.

I'm not saying it's a terrible coaching style, it certainly won many games, but I think there's ultimately a ceiling you reach when you coach like that unless you have one of the most talented squads on the planet.
Yet some of the best sides in history did the exact same

MikeM

Sep 21, 2008
I'm not saying we should have turned into Arsenal with players wandering all around the pitch. I'm in favour of organization but it was our undoing sometimes IMO.

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
He set us up almost perfectly domestically, albeit in a pretty bad league. That much can't be argued. But his cup competition attitude and his overly cautious approach held us back last season in Europe, moaning about not being able to compete financially with the likes of Bayern and United, but in reality throwing points away against clubs who are 5x further behind us than we are behind the Elite.

Vialli_92

Mar 7, 2013

Couldn't have said it better myself.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
im pretty sure we got at least one last season cause i remembr thinking "oh fuck it's another short corner" and then seeing it go in..

i also remember seeing a corner we took that went to Buffon against Benfica.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004

Isn't that somehow pussy? Just saying...

Great analysis anyway.

donpiero

Stella D'Argento
Jul 3, 2009
I'm not saying we should have turned into Arsenal with players wandering all around the pitch. I'm in favour of organization but it was our undoing sometimes IMO.
I'm somehow seeing that happening under allegri. I mean to my eyes who's used to see Juve's game and players' roles utterly strict and super organized under Conte, these coupla games feel just so different. Players seem to be all over the pitch, specially when attacking.
I don't know if it's a good thing or bad, makes us more unpredictable or easier to break down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 129)