Antonio Conte (94 Viewers)

How would you rate Conte's (dis)appointment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
I wonder who Agnelli would choose if it came down to Marotta or Conte because I don't think they always see eye to eye (insert joke) on players and Marotta could become restless. :shocked:

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
This feels a lot like the Capello days -- living up to expectations domestically, never exceeding them and often failing to reach them internationally, with a predictable mentality and tired tactics. Incapable of pleasantly surprising anyone.

Vialli_92

Mar 7, 2013
This feels a lot like the Capello days -- living up to expectations domestically, never exceeding them and often failing to reach them internationally, with a predictable mentality and tired tactics. Incapable of pleasantly surprising anyone.
Capello had one of the best squads in the world at the time though, Conte has at best a top 8 team right now with not much money available to get the particular players he wants. Capello could sign any player he wanted to get to suit his system. So imo Capello is a much much bigger failure than Conte.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Hope we see a different approach in the second game. We need to score 2 goals cuz I can already tell that we will concede one goal. we also need our best defense (Barzagli-Bonucci/Ogbonna-Chiellini) and Lichtsteiner on the field because Isla today didnt help out enough in defense which often resulted with Caceres left alone. That also led to Vidal having alot of more work so he was tired and not at his best the last 15 minutes.

So for the next game Caceres, Ogbonna, Isla, Giovinco out and Barzagli, Bonucci, Licht, Tevez in...

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
People need to relax a bit, and put some things into perspective. The last few pages, I mean we're all disappointed with the way things went in Europe this term, we could and should have done better, but the amount of meltdown every time we don't live up to standard is ridiculous, not to use harsher word here. We have a team more than capable to handle the likes of Copenhagen or Galata, comfortably, but sometimes it doesn't go according to plan. As someone who've been following Juve for almost 20 years I've experienced plenty of joy, but some sad moments as well, utter disappointments when we lost 3 finals of the CL, so over the course of the years you learn to deal with these kind of defeats, have some dignity and understanding not to blatantly attack everything accomplished so far, the last 3 years more specifically were terrific. This year only 5 minutes separated us from the knock-outs and had we managed to hold onto a draw in Turkey, you'd have seen less complaints around here, few would dare to question our approach or mentality. Basically it's couple of minutes and you're out, from winner to loser, choker to someone who doesn't crack under pressure. When I joined here people were outraged with his appointment, that poll tells you half the story, "another 7th place", "how could he be so selfish" :lol: etc... Comparison with Capello's Juve are way off, this team has a heart, at least. Forza Juve, and we can still win in Florence. :bigscarf:

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
The problem is, 95% of our disappointments are coming in Europe, and most are following the same pattern
We rarely play much better in the league though. Look at the performances against Milan and Fiorentina. If Milan scored early, as they should have, we would have melted. Fiorentina should have equalised. The end result is worse in Europe, but the performances are generally way below par in all comps.

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
It's acceptable in the league to some degree, considering we're still getting the job done

But in Europe you don't get 38 shots at it, so we're failing and failing hard.

The mentality is the biggest concern/issue. Followed by the 3-5-2.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
It's acceptable in the league to some degree, considering we're still getting the job done

But in Europe you don't get 38 shots at it, so we're failing and failing hard.

The mentality is the biggest concern/issue. Followed by the 3-5-2.
That is mostly determined with players that Conte has at his disposal. I still believe that we lack player capable of turning games around, real game changer, someone able to create something when all other seem to be futile. My suggestion would be get rid of Pirlo, move Marchisio to a DM spot, give Tevez free role and bring versatile winger. Vast majority of European teams, as we've seen, don't like to sit back and wait, they press and that is becoming our main problem. With Pirlo around we can't play like that and this issue needs to be addressed this summer, hopefully.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I've also noticed that Juve have a tough time maintaining intensity for a full 90. Even when they win big, there will be large parts of the match where the team is all laid back. It's fine to defend a lead, but you should defend it with the same intensity you had when you took it.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Same old fiorentina that we have regularly bested in Serie A over the past 3 years drew with us in Europe. Somehow people hang this on the 3-5-2 even though its the same formation that they struggled against a mere few days ago and its the same formation that dominated almost every team in Italy.

The variable here is not the formation its the competition. This reminds me of the Coppa more than the CL.I have two observations:
1) Conte again didnt field a full strength team that did the job a few days ago. I want someone to find how much rotation fiorentina did to their squad. We should want this more than they do since we are under less pressure in Serie A so I'd hate it if Fiorentina fielded the full first team during both ties and we didnt.

2) Attitude. In cup ties we seem to be way too cautious wanting to score a goal and sleep on it rather than keep pushing for more goals. The defence didnt lose focus (like in CL) tonight it was rather the adopted defensive strategy in the 2nd half that allowed this to happen. We must not defend unless we are playing a superior opponent or at the very least some opponent who is very close to us in terms of quality. Otherwise, we should not defend without a two goal lead and a frustrated opponent at the very least. Its a very risky attitude for a cup tie especially that we arent half as dangerous when counter attacking compared to when we are in a possessive attacking mode.

I dunno if this is the team's lack of experience in cup ties and they get defensive on their own or if its Conte's request but I know its Conte's responsibility to fix this attitude either by motivating them more or by changing strategies. Conte deserves some criticism for this.

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
I'm not blaming the 3-5-2 because it's somehow magically worse than other formations, but with a 3-5-2 we can't field any Wingers and we end up relying on dodgey at best strike partnerships to somehow come up with the goods.

We need a Winger or two badly, because without them and with 3 CBs we're trying to play a counter-attacking game and failing miserably.

Why Conte insists on asking our team to do something they aren't capable of, is beyond me.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
That is mostly determined with players that Conte has at his disposal. I still believe that we lack player capable of turning games around, real game changer, someone able to create something when all other seem to be futil
This is also a problem. We wanna talk tha talk but we dont have players to walk the walk. We wanna feel we are almost there to make it.. but we lack more tooth upfront. Thats the sad reality. And im not blaming Tevez or Llorente.. but the bunch of rejects that are around them: Isla, Gio, Peluso, and the others.

What Conte is doing in crunch matched is worrisome. And i dont wanna hear people calling me "ungrateful" because everyone here can agree that winning 3 scudettos in a row is good for us, but this kind of results in europe.... which is the playing field that matters the most... makes us think wtf we are doing until now!.

How much time we need to wait to not be embarrased everytime we hear the word "european competition".

Its truly worrysome.. I dont know how so many peeps can be like "ok, dude, nothing is happening.. it was just a bad game"...when is a trend that we are seeing not only in europe now.. but also in serie A.

We are not being incisive, decisive.... we only win by individual effoprts again weak teams...and most of the time we are defending.

Just look how milan punished us in the first half last time we met... we are talking about a milan team that is in shambles. Look at today....fiorentina..a team that is 27 points behind us... have given us 2 proper fights in our stadium.

This smell like Copenhagen/Gala all over again.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
The problem is that Juve doesn't have versatile players, especially attackers (excluding asamoah). A player like Cerci would have made a huge difference in matches like today and in the CL against Copenhagen, et al.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
Well that draw has pretty much sealed our fate. Seen this same scenario many times before

Kills me that Conte will probably start a full strength team against Genoa and then play the reserves against Fiorentina. Baffles me.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Well that draw has pretty much sealed our fate. Seen this same scenario many times before

Kills me that Conte will probably start a full strength team against Genoa and then play the reserves against Fiorentina. Baffles me.
This happen and ill ask for his head o a plate.

He MUST go out against genoa with our benchwarmers....otherwise ill be soooo mad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 92)