Android (11 Viewers)

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
While this is not a top smartphone.
They are pushing and marketing it as a flagship phone. "The experience and not the specs" according to them. They are aiming it at people who buy phones on-contract with the carriers. Lots of colour combinations and 24 hour battery life will probably make a lot of people buy it and of course that assembled in America tag.
I'm glad to see that Motorola are kinda their own bosses. This means that the Nexus program is not dying. Which in turn means that folks who want the fastest and the greatest (people like me and you) will get Nexus phones for cheap :D
Btw V, I think you'd be very impressed by how Motorola has packed the X. It's really compact and if you have normal hands you might be even able to use it one handed relatively easily.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Maybe they're targeting all those people that end up buying iPhones because it's perceived as an easy to use smart phone. So mom's, pop's, technologically challenged individuals, etc.

Dec 31, 2008
If the battery life is as good as they claim, that does for me.

What do you guys think about the X8 processing unit? I'm not really convinced how a quad core phone is so better than a dual core ones in day to day use.

Google Play Edition will get the updates immediately too right.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
If the battery life is as good as they claim, that does for me.

What do you guys think about the X8 processing unit? I'm not really convinced how a quad core phone is so better than a dual core ones in day to day use.

Google Play Edition will get the updates immediately too right.
The cores doesn't really matter. It's what they do on a day to day basis that really matters. The iPhone/iPad and the Windows phone all run on dual-core cpus. However, they have lighter OSs while Android shows a typical Java based software behaviour by being very memory and CPU intensive. Hence manufacturers tend to throw on more cores. The new 4.3 version seems to be more focused on making the software better rather than increase the number of features and there are reports that even the first gen Nexus 7s which are notorious for being very slow after a few months of use have been rejuvenated by the new version of Android.
As for the Google Play Edition, they get updates much quicker than their skinned brothers but not the same day as the Nexus devices.

Dec 31, 2008
The cores doesn't really matter. It's what they do on a day to day basis that really matters. The iPhone/iPad and the Windows phone all run on dual-core cpus. However, they have lighter OSs while Android shows a typical Java based software behaviour by being very memory and CPU intensive. Hence manufacturers tend to throw on more cores. The new 4.3 version seems to be more focused on making the software better rather than increase the number of features and there are reports that even the first gen Nexus 7s which are notorious for being very slow after a few months of use have been rejuvenated by the new version of Android.
As for the Google Play Edition, they get updates much quicker than their skinned brothers but not the same day as the Nexus devices.
Yeah, but except for gaming or graphic intensive software where exactly does the additional 2 cores bring a better experience?

Yes, heard great things about the 4.3 such as TRIM.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe they're targeting all those people that end up buying iPhones because it's perceived as an easy to use smart phone. So mom's, pop's, technologically challenged individuals, etc.
:howler:

- - - Updated - - -

"If you look at the X8 mobile computing system, it has a cluster of processors and then some separate elements of the system," said Iqbal Arshad, Motorola's senior vice president of engineering. The goal was to move away from a primarily CPU-based architecture to save power and do "intelligent, probabilistic computing," he said.
"We've done additional optimizations on top of that such as optimizing the entire Linux user space to move it to an ARM instruction set, cache optimization, Dalvik just-in-time optimization, and we've changed the file system," Arshad said. "It's full hardware-software integration to deliver best-in-class performance."
"It's done by Motorola, a lot of design in the entire system," he said. "The actual silicon is specified by us but we don't go ahead and design and fab it. It's not an ARM processor, it's a very low-power separate processor," he said.
"We invented mobile. We have [80] years of DSP expertise, That is all Motorola's unique technology," he said. Separating the custom logic from the CPU will allow Motorola to build X8s based on other CPUs, Arshad said. "We can with with any Qualcomm processor. We can work with anybody's CPU. That's the beauty of it; all of our technology and experiences are decoupled from the legacy CPU processor," he said. The combination of processors and custom firmware extends battery life and improves performance, Arshad said.
"If we did not have the contextual computing processor and our natural langauge processor in place, we would need two additional batteries," he said. The X8 also performs 50 percent better than "our competition" on gaming battery rundown benchmarks and can push higher graphics frame rates, he said. Motorola also manages to do all of this without altering stock Android, he said. Here, I have to be precise: the version of Android on the Droids isn't exactly stock Android, but the Moto X is anticipated to be so. "The Active Display system uses the exact same notification logic that's in stock Android, so we're not modifying that," he said.

- - - Updated - - -

X8 Mobile Computing System is not simply a custom SoC; there's a Snapdragon S4 Pro under the hood, with a 1.7GHz dual-core Krait CPU and a quad-core Adreno 320 GPU, positioned alongside two unique Motorola processors, including one to handle language interpretation (Google Now without the associated battery drain) and a contextual computing core, which manages the smartphone's sensors.

Apr 15, 2006
Moto X Will Not Be Sold Outside Of The Americas, Cheaper Versions To Be Made As Company Focuses On "Very Few Devices"

Much has been made of the fact that Motorola's shiny new flagship is made (or at least assembled) in America. But there's a downside to this: it looks as though aspiring Motorola customers in Europe, Asia, Australia, and the rest of the world will have to do without. Motorola has made it clear that the Moto X is only for the US, Canada, and Latin American markets.

That isn't to say that the company is not concerned with the worldwide marketplace. According to a Cnet interview with Motorola's CEO Dennis Woodside, at least one model will be created with a lower price (and probably a wider distribution) in mind.

Moto X is the brand that we are most focused on. And there is more to come. You will see additional products within months... The experience of devices you can get for less than $200 is subpar right now. We want everyone to have access to affordable smartphones.
That seems to imply that Motorola is hoping to rally around a single, focused product line, as HTC has done with the One and Samsung has done with the Galaxy S series (well, sort of - they call everything an "S4," anyway). TechCrunch spoke with Motorola's Vice President of Product Management Lior Ron, who said that the company will be consolidating its existing consumer offerings.

We’ve done a lot of devices before... Now we’re going to do a few — very few. Everyone of those devices is going to really matter for consumers.
This cheaper Moto X (or whatever name it goes by) would almost certainly be manufactured in Asia, as are all Motorola's other current smartphones, and probably lack the customization options available in the United States. Though Motorola hasn't stated so explicitly, it's likely that international versions of Verizon's DROID Mini, DROID Ultra, and DROID MAXX will be produced - the company has made similar moves with the former RAZR line. These would probably be considered acceptable substitutes for the X, since the internal hardware is very similar between all four phones.
Still, it's a bit of a blow that the reformed face of the company won't make it outside the western hemisphere. We'll be on the lookout for announcements from Motorola in the coming weeks and months.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...-made-as-company-focuses-on-very-few-devices/

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
Hey guys, I'm switching to Android from iOS. Which one should I get, Galaxy s4 or HTC One? Same price here but I have been reading negative things about HTC's Sense?

Art^

StrikerMania Champ 2004
Jan 11, 2003
Hey guys, I'm switching to Android from iOS. Which one should I get, Galaxy s4 or HTC One? Same price here but I have been reading negative things about HTC's Sense?
I would personally go for the s4. It might be plastic and resembles the s3 quite a lot, but it's also more intuitive and offers more advantages than the HTC. Removable battery, intuitive software, better battery life and it's slightly faster (barely noticeable). While HTC is a very good phone, the main reason why I would never buy one is because of the unibody chassis. The one-piece aluminum chassis is glued together. Not only is it bad for the environment, but it makes it extremely expensive to do any repairs on it. As a matter a fact, it's probably cheaper to buy a new phone if you ever have to replace any parts inside. And the lithium battery only lasts 2 good years before it starts to wear down. So you basically have to accept that your investment only lasts for 2 years with the HTC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)