Android (5 Viewers)

Apr 15, 2006
But what about in-app searching? Instead of reaching all the way up to click the search button, I can tap this one. Also, I can get to Google Now voice search by pressing and holding this Search button. Saves me a step. :klin:

OP
JCK

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #5,683
    But what about in-app searching? Instead of reaching all the way up to click the search button, I can tap this one. Also, I can get to Google Now voice search by pressing and holding this Search button. Saves me a step. :klin:
    What? So this button works for in-app searching but sliding the home button upwards doesn't? You are making me think that you have never ever started Google Now using the home button.

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #5,685
    Yes, but it ONLY opens Google Now. If I have the Play Store open and I want to search for an app, sliding the home button won't help. It'll bring up Google Now instead of invoking the Play Store Search option.
    So you use it only for the Play Store?

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #5,687
    I am really dying to hear another example where you would use that search button.

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #5,691
    Not searching the web, searching within a page.
    If it is a hassle to go to menu, find on page then I will give this button a credit. I search on page once every three months at most so I am still not convinced.

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #5,694
    Play Music, contacts, whatsapp, email, YouTube.

Satisfied?

Edit: Maps too. But the last update broke the button mapping. So pressing the button does nothing.
    Nope, not satisfied because I still don't see any use for the button neither do Android developers.

Play Music, I use Spotify.
    Contacts have a search button almost everywhere.
    Whatsapp, why the hell would I need to search for in a messaging app?
    email, don't use it. gmail has a search button
    Youtube has a search button

All the search buttons I mentioned are easily accessible, so no. The way it is suits me fine.

Apr 15, 2006
    Most of those search buttons are on the top half of the screen. For someone who has small hands, I prefer it if all the selectable options are on the lower half of the screen. Adding the search button in the pre-ICS style is so much more convenient. If you can't see that, then there's nothing more I can do.

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #5,696
    Most of those search buttons are on the top half of the screen. For someone who has small hands, I prefer it if all the selectable options are on the lower half of the screen. Adding the search button in the pre-ICS style is so much more convenient. If you can't see that, then there's nothing more I can do.

As they say, to each his own.

Osman

Koul Khara!
    Aug 30, 2002
    I like that picture sharing thing especially, still have my S3, but just put mine on the back of the S4s most I know now have, and I instantly share pics with em, its nice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)