Android (5 Viewers)

OP
JCK

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #1,142
    IIRC, you'll need to install a driver so that the phone is recognised while in recovery. Then you just run the RUU and click away. Should take about to mins to install the RUU, and about 10 mins for the phone to boot up.

Also, this is the time when you need the Goldcard. If you don't have it, then the RUU probably won't flash the phone.
    Look at this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=680359

There is no need for Goldcard but I still don't know how to do the first two steps. How to install the RUU?

Apr 15, 2006
    Connect the phone to USB. Choose charge only option. Then power off the phone. Power on holding volume down button.
    You have a option of USB fast boot option, choose that. Then in your computer double click the RUU and follow the instructions.
    You will be done.

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

Not sure what you're referring to.
    I'm using a modified version of LG's ROM, which is from early October, now there's a new LG official ROM from 16th December. It's still 2.1, just a newer date ROM. I was wondering do these new ROMs offer anything, bug fixes or whatnot. From what I can tell, everything is working OK with my phone, so I don't wanna flash again just for the sake of it.

Apr 15, 2006
    Where are you getting ROMs from? XDA? Cos all of the custom ROM threads in XDA have a changelog. Usually, it does offer bug fixes and performance improvements. So yeah, update if you want to.

BTW, here's the thing about custom ROMs. If you want to install an updated version of the ROM you are currently using, then you don't need to wipe the phone.

For ex, if I'm using CyanogenMod 6.0, and if a CM 6.1 version comes out, then I don't need to wipe the phone. I can flash the updated ROM, and the ROM will be updated while retaining your apps an data. But say I'm not using CyanogenMod, and I want to install it, then I'll need to wipe the phone before flashing CM.

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

Where are you getting ROMs from? XDA? Cos all of the custom ROM threads in XDA have a changelog. Usually, it does offer bug fixes and performance improvements. So yeah, update if you want to.

BTW, here's the thing about custom ROMs. If you want to install an updated version of the ROM you are currently using, then you don't need to wipe the phone.

For ex, if I'm using CyanogenMod 6.0, and if a CM 6.1 version comes out, then I don't need to wipe the phone. I can flash the updated ROM, and the ROM will be updated while retaining your apps an data. But say I'm not using CyanogenMod, and I want to install it, then I'll need to wipe the phone before flashing CM.
    http://android.modaco.com/content/l...daco-com/311477/lg-gt540-rom-updates-from-lg/

I see. I'll leave it for now and if I run into troubles, I'll flash again. Seems some guys are working on a custom ROM for 2.2 so I'll wait for that.

http://android.modaco.com/content/l...odaco-com/324541/cyanogenmod-coming-to-gt540/

Kosta

The Eccentric
    Jul 16, 2006
    How are your experiences with Skype? Buggy?

Yesterday it worked absolutely normal, now since few hours ago I'm offline. I just can't change my status to online, I tried opening and reopening it, just won't work. I can sign in, see my contacts but I'm offline. :confused:
    Its not you, Skype had some downtimes today.

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

I gotta say folks, for a 100€ device, without any contracts, the LG GT540 Optimus is hard to beat. Incredibly really, by far the biggest bang for buck I ever purchased.

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #1,154
    I just made a thorough comparison between the HTC Desire HD and the Samsung Galaxy S. The SGS has some advantages, other than Sense I cannot find any reason on why the HTC would be better, can someone convince me?

And can someone tell me why I cannot make up my mind on these two devices? I have one month left to make the final decision.

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #1,156
    I would stick to HTC Desire HD

but don't forget to check out the upcoming LTE supported Incredible HD
    Convince me Dru, the SGS can read more file formats, have a better battery life, has two cameras and is a bit smaller in size. The Desire HD has a better camera and that's about it. So why the HTC?

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

Did you get the pink one?
    Yeah right. :D The silver one.
    I just made a thorough comparison between the HTC Desire HD and the Samsung Galaxy S. The SGS has some advantages, other than Sense I cannot find any reason on why the HTC would be better, can someone convince me?

And can someone tell me why I cannot make up my mind on these two devices? I have one month left to make the final decision.
    I'd go with the Galaxy S.

Sheik, I need one more thing. Some sort of network counter, limiter, which will alert me when I exceeded a value of data set. Meaning if I set it to 50mb per month, it will give me a notification that I have passed that value. I searched the market, there's so much of those...which one's best?

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
    Because at the end of the day its a Samsung handset. Samsung is infamous for making handsets with sub-par quality and this particular phone seems to be an amalgamation of all the most coveted features yet no other phone has been released to compete with it -- meaning that Samsung played it safe by picking a clear window to debut this phone.

I would wait until Q1 to see whats announced for release for Q1-Q2.

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #1,160
    Meh, computers are running as they should. We don't even care about how good a machine they are as long as they play movies and surf the internet. The phones on the other hand are a whole new world.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)