Android (16 Viewers)

Apr 15, 2006
I can still install apps not in the market via sdcard without rooting right? a little scared of rooting as I would rather get updates pushed from t-mobile
Android natively lets you sideload apps on the phone. But I've heard that some operators have disabled that feature. So go to Settings>Applications and check the 'Unknown Sources' option. You'll need a file manager like Estrongs File Explorer to ASTRO to browse your SD card for the .APK file.

@Tina: Why do you need HTC Sync?

@Ice: Dude, when are you getting your Desire?

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
Android natively lets you sideload apps on the phone. But I've heard that some operators have disabled that feature. So go to Settings>Applications and check the 'Unknown Sources' option. You'll need a file manager like Estrongs File Explorer to ASTRO to browse your SD card for the .APK file.

@Tina: Why do you need HTC Sync?

@Ice: Dude, when are you getting your Desire?
No idea mate... I've been putting it off for a long time now... With all the wedding talks and meeting people going on, I haven't had time to do stuff by myself for a few weeks now...

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Sheik, I'm having problems with the wifi. It's dreadfully slow and it's using my office connection which is 8mbps. Pages take ages to open and the connection breaks constantly. While my laptops work normally.

What could be the issue? Is it possible that the update I made is not good for my phone? I installed some 2.1 Eclair with fastboot and something called Clockwork recovery and the Black Quarx mode.

If so, please recomend me which update to use. Do I even need that fastboot and clockwork(what are those things anyway')

Apr 15, 2006
Don't worry about the fastboot. As for Clockwork, it is the custom recovery that will allow you to back & restore an existing ROM, wipe the phone, and install custom ROMs. But that has nothing to do with how teh Wi-Fi works. Black Quartz must be the name of the custom ROM. Developers name their custom ROMs for easier identification.

Since it is your office network, do you need to use proxies for using the internet? I know I do. If the Wi-Fi works fine at home or elsewhere, then that could be the problem.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Don't worry about the fastboot. As for Clockwork, it is the custom recovery that will allow you to back & restore an existing ROM, wipe the phone, and install custom ROMs. But that has nothing to do with how teh Wi-Fi works. Black Quartz must be the name of the custom ROM. Developers name their custom ROMs for easier identification.

Since it is your office network, do you need to use proxies for using the internet? I know I do. If the Wi-Fi works fine at home or elsewhere, then that could be the problem.
Nope, no proxy, just connect to the router automatically using wep encryption. I get connected easily but like I said, it's slow as hell and I get disconnected all the time. I'll try and see how it works on some other network, sadly not wifi at home.

Apr 15, 2006
I am now on a Windows PC, how can I run a RUU?
IIRC, you'll need to install a driver so that the phone is recognised while in recovery. Then you just run the RUU and click away. Should take about to mins to install the RUU, and about 10 mins for the phone to boot up.

Also, this is the time when you need the Goldcard. If you don't have it, then the RUU probably won't flash the phone.
Nope, no proxy, just connect to the router automatically using wep encryption. I get connected easily but like I said, it's slow as hell and I get disconnected all the time. I'll try and see how it works on some other network, sadly not wifi at home.
Slow and disconnects? Could be that the channel the router is functioning on is too crowded. Unfortunately, a channel change can only be done on the router.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

How are your experiences with Skype? Buggy?

Yesterday it worked absolutely normal, now since few hours ago I'm offline. I just can't change my status to online, I tried opening and reopening it, just won't work. I can sign in, see my contacts but I'm offline. :confused:

Apr 15, 2006
Well lemme tell you that Skype did a shitty job with the Android client. Hell, call it shitty is a compliment.

So after all the complaints raised against it, Skype takes more than a month to fuckin' add the option to move it to the SD card, BUT they increase the size from 7 Mb to 10 Mb! :(

FUCK YOU SKYPE!

V, go into Settings>Applications>Manage applications>Skype and force close it. Then open it again and see what happens.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Well lemme tell you that Skype did a shitty job with the Android client. Hell, call it shitty is a compliment.

So after all the complaints raised against it, Skype takes more than a month to fuckin' add the option to move it to the SD card, BUT they increase the size from 7 Mb to 10 Mb! :(

FUCK YOU SKYPE!

V, go into Settings>Applications>Manage applications>Skype and force close it. Then open it again and see what happens.
Yeah, I've been reading up on it and seems like lots of folks have trouble with it. I tried that and tried resetting and no go. Now I uninstalled it, reinstalled and now it just hangs at the "signing in" screen. Shitty it is.

Solved the login problem.

Wiping Skype data and restarting the device helped.

Saw that on one forum, how do I do that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 16)