Andrei Arshavin - Forward - Arsenal (4 Viewers)

May 22, 2007
I see your point, but squad full of youth will never win anything.

Some pay too much attention on age issue. 30yo can offer 2 great seasons and be a well worth investment.
If Juventus has failed to purchase a proper winger instead, and failed, then it would make sense. There are better players with bigger potential than Arshavin that a team like Juventus should go for.

Ken

The Dutch Touch
Aug 17, 2007
I know 20 million is alot for a 30 yr old but I would be ok with this move just to see Juve play better .. I want any good players at Juve and considering we are not in the CL to bring a player of his quality would be a good thing for sure.
But I would like if we could get someone like Hazard or Sanchez instead. I just dont think we can at the moment.
We all want to see Juve play better, but we also want a Juventus that is future-proof. We're already in a position where it can hardly get worse, so to be fair I think now is the right time to look at younger players to actually start building a quality side that can last a good few years. The only problem will be that those young 'stars' like Hazard and Sanchez are wanted all over Europe, and that we're not exactly the most attractive club to go to right now, not being in the CL and all. Our name will definitely still attract some though and we should have a bit to spend, so in the end I hope we end up with some good signings.

Arshavin is definitely a good player, but at that price, he's simply too expensive. I know I sound like a bit of a broken record, but if we can't get Hazard, we should really keep a close eye on Elia's situation at Hamburg. He really, really needs a change of scenery and could go for pretty cheap. He wouldn't be that supertalent or superstar, he'd be a bit risky even, but one worth taking, imo.

Comes down to what I said earlier really, it all depends on his price.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
He's world class imo, the only downside is his age. Diego was unproven on the big stage.
arshavin is no where near world class sorry to disagree with you there, he is a good player on his day, but is terribly inconsistant, in comparison to his arsenal team mates he is not even close to the standard of nasri

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
It's alllll about the money lads. :D

You're right Dusan, but with wingers it's about speed, enthousiasm and so on. They're not the kind of players I'd opt for experience for.
I agree. But I don't think we'd use him as a winger in our 4-4-2 but more of a SS. Some role like Del Piero had before, where he goes on the left quite often but not a winger.

C4ISR

Dec 18, 2005
He is a very good player on his day, and given the shit we put up with atm, I would welcome him (although not for 20m euros).

The importance of his age is being exaggerated. Let's worry about the distant future once we have a squad worthy of competing in the present. If these "öld" players help us secure CL during their limited years at a top level, it's worth the money (lots of player continue to perform in their 30's btw, so let's not assume he is going to move like Del Piero in 2 seasons).

Kasaki

Moggi's Assistant
Jun 1, 2010
Everyone keeps saying "on his day" , honestly have you seen our squad in the last 4 years? no one plays well, what makes you think arshavin will be the spark?

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
Everyone keeps saying "on his day" , honestly have you seen our squad in the last 4 years? no one plays well, what makes you think arshavin will be the spark?
ask yourself would you rather have an inconsistent Arshavin and Krasic parnership? or would you rather have the consistently average Pepe or Martinez?

electricRoo

Feb 27, 2011
I would love to have Arshavin here, though not for 20 million. Hell, didn't Arsenal pay like 16 or so? If Marotta can get him for 12 or so (ha! yeah right.) it'd be a very astute signing.

We all want young, brilliant and cheap but if a great player can contribute for 2 or 3 years then it's a good move.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Juve consider Arshavin swoop
There are reports Juventus could make a swoop for Arsenal midfielder Andrey Arshavin.
The Russian will be out of contract at the end of the season, so the Gunners must sell now before losing him on a free transfer.

According to The People newspaper, Juve are prepared to make an offer worth below €5m.

Arshavin would be the latest Arsenal player to leave the Emirates in a summer exodus that has included Cesc Fabregas and Gael Clichy.

The Bianconeri face competition from Turkish club Galatasaray for Arshavin’s signature.

------------------------------------------------

I would love this.

Arshavin's class, and I'll be stoked if we can get him for 5m or less.

Kasaki

Moggi's Assistant
Jun 1, 2010
Beginning of mercato - Arshavin sucks, he's ass , blah blag

End of mercato (No LW yet) - Putin to save the day! class!

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
€5m = win. For €5m who would you prefer Giaccherini or Arshavin? Arshavin + Afellay = :tuttosport: Nedved came when he was almost 30 and look how he turned out. He was in 30s for the majority of his career at Juve. For a player that can have a lot of quality at times it's worth the risk.

ThirdStar

You know it's comin'
Jul 5, 2011
Don't rate him at all. Never got the hype about him.
Watch the infamous Liverpool - Arsenal 4-4 game. He scored 4 goals :p

He was good in the Barcelona game. He's really talented and one of those players that can pull stuff out of their ass...well Amauri can pull "shit" out of his ass, but I'm talking goals and assists here.

Cirillo

Nov 10, 2009
Regardless of what people think of this guy, he shits all over Pepe and if the whole 5m euro thing is accurate then it's a no brainier. Even if he's used off the bench as an impact player it's worth it for 5m.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)