vote

• Legend

• History

Results are only viewable after voting.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
IGOR, the coach. :baus:

At this point I'd even go for Bielsa. At least we'd be entertained by his crazy tactics.

I hate using the word boring but it describes this team with such accuracy.

Am I going too far by saying this is looking much worse than Sarri's Juve?
Pass on Bielsa, we will never win anything under him. Sometimes I'd just be happy to go back to the safe way of playing and grind out results instead.

Problem with Sarri is if he was a respectable man then he might have done better with us. He wasn't a people's person at all.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Juventus players ‘confused’ by Pirlo

Il Corriere della Sera reports Juventus players are confused as Andrea Pirlo doesn’t speak about tactics with them: ‘It’s the same thing that happened with Maurizio Sarri.’
Juventus sit fourth in the Serie A table together with Napoli who are six points short of table leaders Milan.

According to Il Corriere della Sera, Juventus players believe Pirlo doesn’t discuss tactical issues with them as his assistant Igor Tudor is tasked with the job while Roberto Baronio gives instructions during matches.

The report adds Pirlo’s silences have an impact on the build-up of the team which is not always smooth. Players like Paulo Dybala and Dejan Kulusevski have not quite understood what the coach wants from them on a tactical level and the same is true of some midfielders, especially on the defensive phase.
Last but not least, Cristiano Ronaldo decided to rest against Benevento, according to the report, but the Old Lady's problems are evident also when CR7 plays. The team is often too stretched, whether the Portuguese plays or not.

The Old Lady have only won one of the four games they played without the former Real Madrid star this season.
Great article. Top notch journalism.

I read it three times.

Alex-444

Sep 5, 2005
Juventus players ‘confused’ by Pirlo

Il Corriere della Sera reports Juventus players are confused as Andrea Pirlo doesn’t speak about tactics with them: ‘It’s the same thing that happened with Maurizio Sarri.’
Juventus sit fourth in the Serie A table together with Napoli who are six points short of table leaders Milan.

According to Il Corriere della Sera, Juventus players believe Pirlo doesn’t discuss tactical issues with them as his assistant Igor Tudor is tasked with the job while Roberto Baronio gives instructions during matches.

The report adds Pirlo’s silences have an impact on the build-up of the team which is not always smooth. Players like Paulo Dybala and Dejan Kulusevski have not quite understood what the coach wants from them on a tactical level and the same is true of some midfielders, especially on the defensive phase.
Last but not least, Cristiano Ronaldo decided to rest against Benevento, according to the report, but the Old Lady's problems are evident also when CR7 plays. The team is often too stretched, whether the Portuguese plays or not.

The Old Lady have only won one of the four games they played without the former Real Madrid star this season.
1606759099048.png

Mike-e-y

Jul 18, 2004
Yoy guys don't believe that, do you? :lol:
Problem with that article is that although it’s completely speculative it’s entirely believable. There’s very rarely smoke without fire.

I’m not surprised a manager that has never managed a minute in his life would delegate tactical instructions and opposition instructions. His assistants are far more experienced and just as well qualified as he is - when pirlo got the job he had never even made a substitution.. the context there is incredible: Someone was given one of the top managerial jobs in Europe: WITHOUT EVER EVEN BEING RESPONSIBLE FOR MAKING A SUBSTITUTION AT ANY LEVEL OF FOOTBALL....
Wow. Just wow...

This was supposed to be a romantic fairytale and I bought a ticket and jumped straight on the train. I’ve now woken up and realised that’s not the real world. Time to get off the train, he may be a good manager once he’s learnt his trade but for Juventus this man is going to be a disaster.

kappa96

Jun 20, 2018
Problem with that article is that although it’s completely speculative it’s entirely believable. There’s very rarely smoke without fire.

I’m not surprised a manager that has never managed a minute in his life would delegate tactical instructions and opposition instructions. His assistants are far more experienced and just as well qualified as he is - when pirlo got the job he had never even made a substitution.. the context there is incredible: Someone was given one of the top managerial jobs in Europe: WITHOUT EVER EVEN BEING RESPONSIBLE FOR MAKING A SUBSTITUTION AT ANY LEVEL OF FOOTBALL....
Wow. Just wow...

This was supposed to be a romantic fairytale and I bought a ticket and jumped straight on the train. I’ve now woken up and realised that’s not the real world. Time to get off the train, he may be a good manager once he’s learnt his trade but for Juventus this man is going to be a disaster.
I had high hopes also, but getting weaker results than sorri brought me down to earth really quick.

And the sad part he is gonna be kept until there is no chance of winning Seria A at least.

I feel bad for him, as he should have never been put in this position.

juve123

Aug 10, 2017
Ronaldo can't be Juventus' excuse

“We have few players with strong personality”. As Andrea Pirlo uttered that short but disconcerting statement, the size of the task facing the inexperienced Juve tactician hit home a little harder for supporters of the Italian champions.
It was an honest assessment from Pirlo following a fifth Serie A draw of the season, this time against recently promoted Benevento. The Bianconeri’s latest setback came again in the absence of Cristiano Ronaldo, adding fuel to the argument that the Turin giants have become over reliant on their number 7. As these types of performances and results continue to pile up, the theory that Juve struggle to win without CR7 becomes increasingly evident.
From the moment he arrived, Juventus were always likely to become heavily Ronaldo dependent. It is natural in any team that their best players become a focal point, but that is especially true for a team like Juve who have been steadily losing their identity over the last few years. From the moment that The Old Lady’s 2015 Champions League final XI began to lose the pieces that made it a success, Juve fell into the trap. One of individuality over team cohesion and the signing of the world’s most decisive player only served to establish that further.

In his later years at Real Madrid, Ronaldo was primarily used as a goal scoring number 9. However, since his move to Italy the Portuguese player has had to become something of a hybrid between his younger self and the serial marksman he transformed into. If there is a Ronaldo cause for concern amongst Juventini then that should be the reason why. In Madrid, Cristiano’s superstar cast meant his almost sole focus was on finding the net, but in Pirlo’s team he is much more influential in overall play, he has more responsibility in the build-up. Ronaldo dictates the attack. Trying to replace his goals is problematic enough but with these extra elements in play, it significantly adds to your dilemma.
This trend started under Max Allegri, was compounded by the appointment of Maurizio Sarri and leaves novice coach Mister Pirlo, who has inherited a squad with many new players without many alternate options other than to follow suit. It will take time for Il Maestro to understand his own philosophy and how best to transmit this to his players. Due to a multitude of factors this experimental appointment by Andrea Agnelli was never going to run smoothly, it can therefore come as no surprise that the Peninsulas’ most successful club are encountering problems.
Pirlo can perhaps take solace from looking around Europe and seeing the struggles of other elite teams. Those with established coaches who have settled squads and are experiencing troubles of their own. In this particular season with unprecedented demand in terms of fixtures it is those with familiarity, understanding and who are having to make fewer adjustments that are coping best. The teams that top the continents top five leagues are confirmation of that.
In these moments leaders are needed, but the characters that have seemingly steered Juve straight over the last decade have slowly slipped way. Without Gianluigi Buffon, Leonardo Bonucci, Giorgio Chiellini and again Ronaldo, the remaining players take to the field with no one to guide them. Matthijs de Ligt has been domineering since his return, attempting to take command from the back but he cannot do this alone.
Do we see the required leadership qualities in any of other the players outside of the Dutchman? The simple answer is no. Look back over the last decade and you will find Juve teams littered with players that could step-up when the team faced adversity, what Pirlo would give to have a Claudio Marchisio, Stephan Lichtsteiner or Mario Mandzukic type figure to aid this period of transition.
It is easy to judge Pirlo, question his selections and his seemingly constant rotation of his starting line-ups. There are certainly instances where he could have brought more stability with his choices but that is no excuse for not beating the likes of Benevento, Crotone and stumbling past Ferencvaros. This group has to develop resilience, serenity and learn to find a way, just as those previous have done on countless occasions in the recent past. In part it is this which has lead La Vecchia Signora to a historic nine consecutive titles but as of now the dream of a tenth looks in serious jeopardy.

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013

Wow. Just wow...

We all did :depressed:

But I'm still holding on to a little hope that he'll do 'okayish' in the end.

However I believe this is our transition season and the Scudetto will be celebrated elsewhere.

So it was all fine and dandy to dream one of our legends would turn out to be just as good a coach but reality tells me to keep my expectations in check.

Strickland

May 17, 2019
See the problem with hiring Allegri now would inevitably tie him down to a long-term contract which is really not ideal if we're to progress and make the most out of Ronaldo's last years. We'll be stuck in the same loop: hire Allegri out of pure nostalgia, fire him for his frustrating performances, make a knee-jerk reaction and hire another poor man's Guardiola, fire him e.t.c. its not only counter-intuitive but also counter-productive. We need a short-term solution that would take us to the end of the season and win us at least the scudetto, but that's unrealistic. You can't just hire a manager for 5 months.

Honestly, I think our best bet at the moment is to keep hold of Pirlo until at least the end of the year. He has shown that he can put in a good performance with the right players (take the Cagliari match for example), but he just needs to stick to one formation and make sure each player knows what he's doing. As much as I do believe Pirlo should be criticised for these recent lacklustre performances, it's worth bearing in mind that these Italian teams are becoming stronger and such challenges to the title were only to be expected at some point. Hiring Allegri midway through the season won't magically solve everything imo.
We'll definitely give Pirlo until Christmas, but if at that point we still look like we'll end up finishing in top4 but not first we should see whos available

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 43)