Andrea Pirlo (58 Viewers)

vote

• Legend

• History

Results are only viewable after voting.

j0ker

Capo di tutti capi
Jan 5, 2006
I am interested to see if the back three will consist of all pure CBs or Danilo/Alex Sandro will act as one. I prefer the first scenario, with Sandro dropping back and Demiral moving as a RB when we are defending. I also wonder if Kulusevski can play in Cuadrado's role as RWB if we play with Ronaldo - CF - Dybala trio upfront.

I am excited to be honest.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
His thesis translated and what to expect from Pirlo's team...FINALLY we can see.

The football that I would like.
INTRODUCTION

The founding idea of my football is based on the will of proactive football, possession and attack. I would like to play total football, with 11 active players in the offensive & defensive phase. We have the ambition to command the play in both phases.

The "playing style" must be the common thread of my team. Meaning for "playing style” that common thread composed of principles, positions and emotions between the players themselves. A game based on the collective but that is able to enhance the strongest individualities.

The two key principles of my idea of football are related to the ball:
- We want and must keep it as long as possible until we attack and we must have a strong competitive ferocity to go recover immediately once the ball is lost.

The definition and creation of the ideal “CONTEXT” (tactical, technical,physical-athletic and emotional) to make our players express their best, it will be our most important challenge. I would also like to mention the teams that inspired me in the formation of my idea of football. Teams and coaches I have admired as a fan and others with whom I was lucky enough to play together or against: Cruijff's Barcelona and then Guardiola's, Van Gaal's Ajax, Ancelotti's Milan up to Conte's Juventus.

The players

As we will see later, in modern football the meaning of “the role” is changing. It is no longer a fixed position that identifies the characteristics of a player, but more and more are the different functions and therefore the tasks that a player performs during the game. Therefore the characteristics of the players are enhanced through the tasks he is called upon to perform.
However we quickly see the main qualities of top players level in modern football through classic roles.

GOALKEEPER

In addition to the classic characteristics of the goalkeeper in defending the goal, a modern goalkeeper cannot fail to have quality in the defense and in the game in possession of the ball. The defense of space forward becomes essential to cover the spaces with a high defensive line and aggressive. In ball possession, the goalkeeper is also in all effects a construction player able to choose the most effective solution, to lead the ball and find a pass.

CENTRAL DEFENDER

Together with the goalkeeper, the role of the central defender is what has changed the most in the last 30 years, both in defensive and in offensive phase. Now the defender must be able to mix skills as well to cover large spaces if we want to have an offensive team that attacks with many players. In the possession phase the defenders became the first directors of the team. Now the "key passes"of the central defenders are close to those of the central midfielders.

EXTERNAL DEFENDERS

It is a very flexible role, with characteristics very different from each other but modern football systems allow to be able to exploit them by assigning them various functions. The push back very good at pushing will be deputed to ensure amplitude in attack, the one who is best at defending can often become a third central defender, the technically and tactically good one we can use him as an added midfielder in possession. Surely their importance has increased dramatically start of the maneuver, in fact in some cases we can talk about full backs.

CENTRAL MIDFIELDERS

The football of the last 20 years, with Ancelotti's Milan, Barcelona's Guardiola up to Zidane's Real showed that it can't work without midfielders regardless of the technique of their midfielders. After a period historical dominated by physical midfielders (90's), it has rediscovered to technical players with a great vision of the game obviously, a good dose must be added to these qualities in order to perform multiple functions (construction and finishing for example).

OUTSIDE MIDFIELDERS

As with the outside defenders, the outside midfielders have also roles with greater flexibility. Based on characteristics, you can decide to isolate the player in 1vs1 (fundamental characteristic in high level football). Here too winning back the lost ball represents a fundamental characteristic as for all footballers acting in the offensive half.

FORWARDS

The forwards are often among the most talented players with their own particular characteristics. Talent and characteristics within a collective, capable of bringing out the best individuality. In my game model, the attack of depth is a very important element and often it’s the attacker who deals with them continuously (even if they can be attacks in space by midfielders or wielders are lethal). In a attacking football system with many offensive players (including attacking midfielders and wingers) it is also necessary for the attacker to be able to communicate with technique and intelligence with their teammates to favor the insertions of themselves.

Quotes from Pirlo's thesis - Original source: https://www.figc.it/media/124922/andrea-pirlo_tesi.pdf

Last edited:

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
I am interested to see if the back three will consist of all pure CBs or Danilo/Alex Sandro will act as one. I prefer the first scenario, with Sandro dropping back and Demiral moving as a RB when we are defending. I also wonder if Kulusevski can play in Cuadrado's role as RWB if we play with Ronaldo - CF - Dybala trio upfront.

I am excited to be honest.
I think if I understand his thesis, one wing back will be better at defending than the other and will be the one to stay back will the other is given freedom to surge forward in attack.

:boh:

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
- The two key principles of my idea of football are related to the ball:
We want and must keep it as long as possible until we attack and we must have a strong competitive ferocity to go recover immediately once the ball is lost.

100% possession utopia :scared:

- Teams and coaches I have admired as a fan and others with whom I was lucky enough to play together or against: Cruijff's Barcelona and then Guardiola's, Van Gaal's Ajax, Ancelotti's Milan up to Conte's Juventus.

No Allegri :sad:

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
He basically describes a fluid system in which each player is responsible for the attacking and defensive phases of the game? Not sure that high press gonna work with Dybala, CR7 and Dzeko in the starting 11. :boh:

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
I think if I understand his thesis, one wing back will be better at defending than the other and will be the one to stay back will the other is given freedom to surge forward in attack.

:boh:
Pirlo has said that it was talking to Conte that made him want to be a coach, and Conte always said exactly this about the wingbacks. He liked to use a midfielder and a defender for his wingbacks.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
- The two key principles of my idea of football are related to the ball:
We want and must keep it as long as possible until we attack and we must have a strong competitive ferocity to go recover immediately once the ball is lost.

100% possession utopia :scared:

- Teams and coaches I have admired as a fan and others with whom I was lucky enough to play together or against: Cruijff's Barcelona and then Guardiola's, Van Gaal's Ajax, Ancelotti's Milan up to Conte's Juventus.

No Allegri :sad:
When I remember how hopeless we looked against Bayern, how much we struggled in CL against semi amateurish teams under Conte, I cant understand his admiration. We were stale and predictable side, couldnt beat press and struggled to win possession back in CL, in his final year. His 2nd season though, up until woeful games against Bayern was good but overall I felt we were going backwards with Conte and need more flexible coach. Just dont be possession obsessed junkie since we dont have players for it. Good luck this weekend.

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
When I remember how hopeless we looked against Bayern, how much we struggled in CL against semi amateurish teams under Conte, I cant understand his admiration. We were stale and predictable side, couldnt beat press and struggled to win possession back in CL, in his final year. His 2nd season though, up until woeful games against Bayern was good but overall I felt we were going backwards with Conte and need more flexible coach. Just dont be possession obsessed junkie since we dont have players for it. Good luck this weekend.
Conte built a solid defensive system pretty much from scratch. That's probably what he admires. Looking back it was really a wonder to watch. Also our mid was pure class. I think Conte era only lacked talent up front, we had nothing but mediocre to average attackers. We lacked goals. Can you imagine what we could have achieved with world class forwards? Imagine having Ronaldo/Dybala/Tevez around that time.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Conte built a solid defensive system pretty much from scratch. That's probably what he admires. Looking back it was really a wonder to watch. Also our mid was pure class. I think Conte era only lacked talent up front, we had nothing but mediocre to average attackers. We lacked goals. Can you imagine what we could have achieved with world class forwards? Imagine having Ronaldo/Dybala/Tevez around that time.
I dont have to imagine. We had Tevez and got beaten in CL by Galata and then Benfica in EL in Conte's final year. I agree he build solid defensive system but unlocking opponents is where we struggled.

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
I dont have to imagine. We had Tevez and got beaten in CL by Galata and then Benfica in EL in Conte's final year.
I admit Tevez was probably not the greatest example but whatever is equivalent to the top 5 best around in the last 5 years or so. Imagine besides Ronaldo having Mbappe, Neymar, Salah, etc that kind of talent back then.

- - - Updated - - -

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 45)