Andrea Pirlo (49 Viewers)

vote

• Legend

• History

Results are only viewable after voting.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
Would you feel better about losing the Scudetto to Inter if Real and Barca finish behind Atletico?
Winning the scudetto this year is going’s to exceptionally tough, with the team in transition and a rookie coach with no pre-season, and a grueling schedule which makes it a lot easier for teams who don’t go on cup runs.
I’d love to win the scudetto, and I’d be disappointed if we don’t. I’m simply saying the premise of the video is wrong. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with Juve.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Strickland

May 17, 2019
Winning the scudetto this year is going’s to exceptionally tough, with the team in transition and a rookie coach with no pre-season, and a grueling schedule which makes it a lot easier for teams who don’t go on cup runs.
I’d love to win the scudetto, and I’d be disappointed if we don’t. I’m simply saying the premise of the video is wrong. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with Juve.
If we don't win the Scudetto, obviously the rookie coach thing was a fundamentally wrong move.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
If we don't win the Scudetto, obviously the rookie coach thing was a fundamentally wrong move.
Wrong for this season. Not wrong long term.
We need a 5 year plan, not the band-aids we’ve been applying the last 3 years to squeak for the scudetto only to get humiliated in Europe, each time facing more humiliating defeats than the previous season.
If we didn’t rejuvenate our team, we’d probably won another scudetto, but have become another Man United, Inter or Milan.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
We need a 5 year plan, not the band-aids we’ve been applying the last 3 years to squeak for the scudetto only to get humiliated in Europe, each trust facing more humiliating defeats than the previous season.
If we didn’t rejuvenate our team, we’d probably won another scudetto, but have become another Man United, Inter or Milan.
Exactly this

Strickland

May 17, 2019
We need a 5 year plan, not the band-aids we’ve been applying the last 3 years to squeak for the scudetto only to get humiliated in Europe, each trust facing more humiliating defeats than the previous season.
100% agreed about long term squad planning, but what does that have to do with hiring a rookie coach? Making questionable choices in coaching department helps you become the next Man United or Milan not the other way around. Pirlo is closer to being the next Solskjaer or Gattusso than he is to being the next Ferguson or Ancelotti, those guys worked their way up to Man United and Milan.

Jun 16, 2020
100% agreed about long term squad planning, but what does that have to do with hiring a rookie coach? Making questionable choices in coaching department helps you become the next Man United or Milan not the other way around. Pirlo is closer to being the next Solskjaer or Gattusso than he is to being the next Ferguson or Ancelotti, those guys worked their way up to Man United and Milan.
Why is he closer to being the next Ole/Rino than the other 2?

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
Why is he closer to being the next Ole/Rino than the other 2?
Because he was given the job without "making it" first at a smaller club. That way one supposedly proves readiness for a big job like Juve.

Obviously it's a very naive way of looking at it, very one-sided that assumes all you need is experience and technical preparation.
From experience and technical point of view, Sarri is better suited for the job than Pirlo. We all know who the players prefer though, the human factor/personality plays a big part in the coach's role too.

Strickland

May 17, 2019
Because he was given the job without "making it" first at a smaller club. That way one supposedly proves readiness for a big job like Juve.

Obviously it's a very naive way of looking at it, very one-sided that assumes all you need is experience and technical preparation.
From experience and technical point of view, Sarri is better suited for the job than Pirlo. We all know who the players prefer though, the human factor/personality plays a big part in the coach's role too.
Not just experience and technical pow, from results so far it also looks like Sarri is better suited for the job, last year we had 48 points after 19 rounds, this season 39. Fingers crossed Andrea has a revelation.

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
Not just experience and technical pow, from results so far it also looks like Sarri is better suited for the job, last year we had 48 points after 19 rounds, this season 39. Fingers crossed Andrea has a revelation.
I'll never understand this kind of thinking - each season is different and the fact a coach won in the past doesn't guarantee winning it again. Over the course of last season, Sarri lost the locker room. We wouldn't have won shit with him had he stayed for another season.

Now, I totally understand being unhappy with Pirlo's appointment - he was taken only because we couldn't keep Sarri, who simply lost the locker room. Pirlo was available and cheap but also was deemed to be able to manage champions/big egos.

The bottom line is being a coach is something more than preparing tactics/formations etc.

Strickland

May 17, 2019
I'll never understand this kind of thinking - each season is different and the fact a coach won in the past doesn't guarantee winning it again. Over the course of last season, Sarri lost the locker room. We wouldn't have won shit with him had he stayed for another season.

Now, I totally understand being unhappy with Pirlo's appointment - he was taken only because we couldn't keep Sarri, who simply lost the locker room. Pirlo was available and cheap but also was deemed to be able to manage champions/big egos.

The bottom line is being a coach is something more than preparing tactics/formations etc.
I was never arguing that Sarri should've stayed, he shouldn't have. I was arguing that an experienced coach is likely to do better than a total shot in the dark, despite the comparison trying to portray Pirlo as superior, Sarris first half season vs Pirlos is a lot better in Serie A.

Cheap shouldn't be a factor for the coaches, you don't skimp on the most important part of the team. Difference between Pirlo and Allegri in salary is what, probably ~6m? You can cover that if you replace one of our midfield subs with the most promising U23 player or a million other ways. I'd instantly sacrifice a first team backup for a promising youngster if I get to upgrade the coach

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
And then we collected 35 pts from the next 19 rounds while getting thrashed out of Coppa Italia, and badly embarrassed by Lyon in CL Rof16, a team that finished 7th in Ligue 1.

Seems like a colossal failure from Supercoppa thrashing by Lazio onwards. We scraped scudetto last year because of a great start, but we were an absolute joke after mid-December.

- - - Updated - - -

We need a 5 year plan, not the band-aids we’ve been applying the last 3 years to squeak for the scudetto only to get humiliated in Europe, each time facing more humiliating defeats than the previous season.
I agree with this mostly, but we didn’t really ever squeak scudetto with Max. Even our worst year under him was +4 pts and we had 95 pts that year. His last 4 seasons were all 90+ pts, and the very last season we won it with several weeks to spare, we were on pace to top 100 pts until playing with complete disinterest in the league post Ajax.

Last edited:

spurdo

Jun 4, 2016
Appointing Pirlo was an absurd choice when there was an abundance of available and experienced options on the market like Pochettino, Allegri, Wenger, Valverde, Jardim, Emery and probably even Conte and Deschamps. However, the management were spot on with their choices of Conte and Allegri before even though they were considered bad choices back then, so I trust that they knew Pirlo well enough to trust him. As of right now I feel it was a decent gamble, as he seems to be a lot more respected than Sarri and has a clear tactical approach that is slowly imposing itself on the team and that he has learned to tweak a bit more when needed. If we didn't fuck up on a couple of those unlucky last minute draws and disappointing results against shit-tier teams like Crotone in the start of the season, we'd be right up there on top of the league table. As of right now I feel that we would manage to grind out those results compared to 5 months ago.

Pirlo still needs to work on getting the team to be more structured and attentive on counter-attacks. It feels like once we lose the ball after a decent spell of pressure the counter-attacking team always ends up in a 3 vs 3 situation and with a shot on goal no matter the opposition. We defend well when we structure ourselves to defend like yesterday, but not when we have to track back. Offensively we have been improving though, and I won't blame terrible finishing on Pirlo.

kao_ray

Feb 28, 2014
We scraped scudetto last year because of a great start, but we were an absolute joke after mid-December.
[
I fully agree with you but I wanted to point out (because I'm one of the biggest critics of Dybala so I want to give credit where credit's due) that Paulo had 4 very good games vs Bologna, Lecce, Genoa and Torino where he scored 4 consecutive goals and was crucial after the Covid break. Without those 4 great performances we most likely would have lost the title at the end.

Juve_fanatic

Second coolest member!
Apr 5, 2006
What im most hopeful about when it comes to Pirlo is that he was a football genius. When you compare him to this influx of new coaches/former players, like OGS, Lampard, Gatuso ect, football-wise Pirlo was by far more superior. I know it doesnt work that way, but it is something i strongly believe in. He was a midfielder, and not a headless-chicken running on the byline sort of midfielder, but played what is probably the most difficult and demanding position in football where mainly the most intelligent players usually play and he was intelligent and of course you would expect a person like that to read and understand the game different than others. Thats why i trust Pirlo. We will see, time will tell.

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
I was never arguing that Sarri should've stayed, he shouldn't have. I was arguing that an experienced coach is likely to do better than a total shot in the dark, despite the comparison trying to portray Pirlo as superior, Sarris first half season vs Pirlos is a lot better in Serie A.

Cheap shouldn't be a factor for the coaches, you don't skimp on the most important part of the team. Difference between Pirlo and Allegri in salary is what, probably ~6m? You can cover that if you replace one of our midfield subs with the most promising U23 player or a million other ways. I'd instantly sacrifice a first team backup for a promising youngster if I get to upgrade the coach
Not that I think you are wrong but Sarri and Pirlo have different stories.
Sarri came here with the idea of making us play good football that is also nice to watch.
First half of the season was definitely better than Pirlo but the signs were completely different as while Pirlo`s Juve keep improving (at least up until this post), Sarri`s Juve were in decline.
For a matter of fact I thought Lazio are going to beat us for the Scudetto. Then Juve Inter and Lazio competed as who can fuck up less.
We fucked up less so we won but we kind of returned in the same path we were going to while Lazio completely changed shape from winning mode to losing mode.
Fact is Sarri won a Scudetto but it feels way more than the other lost their chance.

Pirlo is the exact opposite and while I still think there is some work to be done, we are improving and we will probably have a better 2nd half.
The thing is - Inter are way better than last year and Milan continued their great run since they returned from the Covid break.
Lazio are not there anymore but I guess you can compare last year`s Lazio to this year`s Milan. The main difference is Milan leading the table.

Despite me rooting for Milan (if its Inter vs Milan for the Scudetto), Inter are likely to catch them as they have more depth.
Juventus - We are team X - We can keep on rising or we can start a decline or have a consistency issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 40)