Andrea "Il Bruco Brutto" Agnelli (24 Viewers)

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006

At the end of each year, taking the stock of the situation is common. Juventus President Andrea Agnelli did it by granting the Italian newspapers 'Corriere della Sera’ and 'Corriere dello Sport’ a double interview. He obviously spoke about Juve, especially about Conte’s impact on the whole side, about the team itself in particular in connection to present and future, and about the Italian football system and Calciopoli as well ahead of the meeting arranged by CONI and in the light of the new revelations found yesterday by 'Corriere dello Sport’.

The overall assessment took the first 18 months of Agnelli’s presidency into account, spent between his office on Corso Galielo Ferraris and the headquarters of various Italian football bodies. “The aspect that has impressed me much is the total lack of a government and rules to allow the development of football. I had to interact with a stall system, paid through our UEFA ranking, and I also had to handle with several difficulties which occur when our clubs try to enter Europe as great event promoters. Like the whole country, the sporting system also needs to renew. I’m in favour of a drastic reduction of the number of professional clubs. I’d like to follows the Spanish example, just having 40-42 clubs. For example, if you look at the Lega Pro table, you can notice a 'star’ close to almost half of the sides, due to penalty points. I don’t want to make excuse for anybody, but when there are several bets placed on sports events, and a club doesn’t pay salaries to players, stealing become easier.”

Unlike the football system which has difficulties in reforming, Juventus has been subjected to several changes in the last years. Agnelli’s presidency was just the first. “Since the very first day of my office, we’ve been working to return to winning ways. We’ve transformed the club, with new managers, and we’ve deeply modified the team. We knew that the first year would have been hard, and the second would have concerned a completion of our project: now we’ve a good system, we can think about a couple of new signings per year in order to improve. Time is needed to reap the fruit of our labour.”

There aren’t evident victories, but Juventus closed 2011 leading the table. Agnelli considered this circumstance just a simple step: “Conte’s right: if in July people had said that in December we’d have been at the top of the table and unbeaten as well, nobody would have believed. This is the right direction. We want to be back to the Champions League because it can provide us with the access to relevant incomes, but saying that Juventus’ goal is reaching the third place isn’t correct. We strongly believe in ourselves, however without raising fans’ expectations. We have the same points as Milan, but the Italian Champions always have an advantage. However, the race won’t be between Juve and Milan only, this battle is open to seven sides, and everything can happen.”

The impact by the manager from Lecce was widely recognized. The President did so on several occasions, and this double interview was a confirmation: “Since the last summer, this has been Conte’s Juve. I chose Antonio by mutual consent with Marotta, Paratici and Nedved, exactly like all the other decisions referred to the sports aspects. It was apparent that he would have been a suitable choice. I’m not surprised about the results he obtained. I’ve known him for twenty years, and his qualities are apparent, especially his competence and his human behaviour.”

From the manager to the lads, the real main figures of this first part of the season. A praise to the whole group and two special mentions: “Eleven players are required on the pitch and just one champion - even if he can be extraordinary - doesn’t make any difference. Pirlo’s quality is absolute, to be honest I was surprised by the initial scepticism towards him. Del Piero’s farewell? I’m sorry that a gesture of affection has been interpreted like an unfriendly action. When Del Piero signed his contract, he said that this would have been his last involvement with Juventus. I don’t understand all those rumors when, five months later, I asked for a tribute to his work. He’s a legend, like Boniperti and Platini.”

An inevitable topic was Calciopoli, in particular in the light of the revelations published on 'Corriere dello Sport’ about how the inquiry was conducted. Andrea Agnelli thoroughly analysed this aspect, starting from the last meeting asked by Gianni Petrucci: “He assembled those directly involved in 2006 facts. Each participant kept his own idea, but the final document drawn - which wasn’t underwritten - recognizes that rough justice occurred. The last developments confirm and strengthen the need for a complete overview in order to understand the situation and focus everybody’s attention. The circumstances of 2006 are different from current circumstances. Juve paid for it. If the club didn’t approve the capital increase and worked to be at the top again, it would likely fall towards 'minor’ series. Now we want treatment equality. There are clubs and people who were subject to heavy sentences, we can’t ignore it and say “rough justice occurred, lets go on”. Inter? They’re in that position by chance, if another side were in third place, we would have asked in any case about the correctness of the 'Scudetto’ allocation. However, in a hypothetical clash between Capello’s Juventus and 'Triplete’ Inter, we’d win 3-0.”

Not only Calciopoli in Agnelli’s words, but also bets on football, old stadiums, too many professional sides. In particular, the fact that the Italian football system is facing some difficulties, but Juventus continues to be an example and look to the future. The construction of Juventus Stadium is the best display. “It’s been sold-out for nine games. If the facility is nice and comfortable, people approach it and the value of season tickets becomes the certainty of the chance to attend the match. I enjoy seeing our stadium packed, and I love hearing our fans cheering at Juve and sing. Being at home is wonderful.”

And about the concept of 'house’, Andrea Agnelli has now a new, important member in his family and therefore at home. His second child, Giacomo Dai [“It’s the Scottish Gaelic translation of 'David’, my wife is from Scotland, it’s not something strange”, he specified] was born on 16 December. This is the reason why this Christmas will be very special to Agnelli - in addition to Juventus leading the table. Therefore, Merry Christmas Mr. President.

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
An inevitable topic was Calciopoli, in particular in the light of the revelations published on 'Corriere dello Sport’ about how the inquiry was conducted. Andrea Agnelli thoroughly analysed this aspect, starting from the last meeting asked by Gianni Petrucci: “He assembled those directly involved in 2006 facts. Each participant kept his own idea, but the final document drawn - which wasn’t underwritten - recognizes that rough justice occurred. The last developments confirm and strengthen the need for a complete overview in order to understand the situation and focus everybody’s attention.
interesting...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)