Amauri "The Immovable Object" Carvalho de Oliveira (70 Viewers)

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Amauri: 'Why I chose the Azzurri'

Sunday 8 August, 2010
Amauri explains why he chose the Italy jersey and would celebrate against Brazil, but also warns he won’t be singing the anthem.

The Brazilian only gained Italian citizenship in March and has received his first Azzurri call-up for Tuesday’s friendly against the Ivory Coast.

“I chose the Italian team two years ago, because effectively my career as a football :seven: has been in this country,” explained the 30-year-old Juventus striker.

“When I first arrived 10 years ago I was a complete unknown in Italy, so to wear the Azzurri jersey now is a personal victory and a dream come true.”

Amauri is what they call one of the 'Oriundi’ – foreign nationals, usually South Americans, who take on Italian citizenship.

“I came here with my heart. I was not given a leg-up by anyone and have nothing to be ashamed of.

“It’s up to me to change the opinion that some people have. My objective is to represent the Azzurri for as long as possible, hopefully until the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

“If I were to score against Brazil then I’d have absolutely no problem in celebrating, just as I hope to celebrate on Tuesday night against the Ivory Coast.”

However, Amauri does draw the line at the national anthem.

“I do know the Italian anthem, but for now I won’t be singing it.”

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Someone left me this negative rep, and I probably know who it was.

"That's for not supporting Gli Azzuri while supporting Juve." :lol:

It's retarded. "I'm Italian enough to play for the Azzurri but not enough to sing the anthem".
That's better than G. Rossi. He only feels Italian when he wears Azzurri. But even at the dinner table, slurping down spaghetti, he feels American.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Someone left me this negative rep, and I probably know who it was.

"That's for not supporting Gli Azzuri while supporting Juve." :lol:

That's better than G. Rossi. He only feels Italian when he wears Azzurri. But even at the dinner table, slurping down spaghetti, he feels American.
That's ghey. Both of them.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Interesting that the standards are different for Amauri than other Italians in the NT who don't sing the anthem despite being born and bred in the country.
Okay, I forgot that I mention Camoranesi also when I talk about Amauri. Pardon me.

Camoranesi is a faux Italien because he doesn't sing the anthem when he plays for the Azzurri.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 70)