Alvaro Morata (21 Viewers)

Strickland

May 17, 2019
:tup:

Agree with you.

On Morata, I’m actually pretty unhappy with him post-Porto. I thought he gave his all in that second Porto match and his finishing just let him down. He even had a great run and finish on the long ball from Arthur but Arthur dawdled way too long and he was offside by the time the pass was made. Anyways, Shit happens and that’s the first CL knockout tie he has played for us and not been decisive. But since Porto I think he’s let his head hang and his attitude has mostly been piss poor. Hopefully the goal today gets him back on track.

I think we should renew his loan because 10 mil + 5 mil net salary is peanuts and we won’t get anyone of similar level for a transfer fee and wage that comes close, but I’d really like to see some more signs of life from him before the end of the season.
10m fee isn't really peanuts though knowing that it's 100% spending and 0% an investment. Even if you pay smth like 40m for Vlahovic (and I'm not saying he's currently the better player, although he is probably the hottest prospect between Serie A strikers atm), in the long run it's much cheaper than Morata's deal because there's an almost guaranteed resale value. If we go into money saving, rebulding mode (it seems like we will) I expect us to go for an investment like Vlahovic/Kean to replace Morata.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
10m fee isn't really peanuts though knowing that it's 100% spending and 0% an investment. Even if you pay smth like 40m for Vlahovic (and I'm not saying he's currently the better player, although he is probably the hottest prospect between Serie A strikers atm), in the long run it's much cheaper than Morata's deal because there's an almost guaranteed resale value. If we go into money saving, rebulding mode (it seems like we will) I expect us to go for an investment like Vlahovic/Kean to replace Morata.
Oh, I won’t mind as much if it’s a young player like Kean. I was more so referencing buying someone like Icardi, who turns 29 next season. Buying him for 40-60 mil, with no resale value 3-4 years down the road, is a much greater outlay/year than a 10mil loan with no obligation for the future, especially considering any of those “in their prime” strikers producing anything like Morata did this year will be asking for a lot more than 5 mil net wages.

Strickland

May 17, 2019
Oh, I won’t mind as much if it’s a young player like Kean. I was more so referencing buying someone like Icardi, who turns 29 next season. Buying him for 40-60 mil, with no resale value 3-4 years down the road, is a much greater outlay/year than a 10mil loan with no obligation for the future, especially considering any of those “in their prime” strikers producing anything like Morata did this year will be asking for a lot more than 5 mil net wages.
we're on the same page then, y, Icardi would be terrible business and Morata is a much much better deal. I just disagree that 10m / year is peanuts if we take into consideration it's pure spending and not investing.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
I like morata, but he lacks so much confidence, fragile kid
this is the biggest issue with him.

but look at someone like icardi: full of confidence, can't pass, can't run, most probably a dickhead and shit at parties. or dzeko: tough mofo, has been pretty reliable for a decade, but old, slow, finished. suarez: old, expensive. etc...

i'd rather morata. he's still a very good 9. i'd be happy to replace him with haaland or harry kane, even lukaku, but none of them are realistic targets, and most of our recently rumored potential new strikers (icardi, dzeko, suarez, milik, scamacca, who else?) are 1 or 2 levels below morata. he needs some proper coaching though. i remember him scoring most of our knockout stage goals in 2015, so it's certainly possible to make him clutch somehow.

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
That's the thing, the alternatives are just so bad.

Don't be fooled by his statpadding against Elche and Huesca, Suarez is a finished player. He can barely run anymore
Dzeko is as finished as Suarez
Icardi is a terrible footballer and wouldn't suit Ronaldo at all
Kane and Haaland are unrealistic

Morata is the best we can do right now

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
That's the thing, the alternatives are just so bad.

Don't be fooled by his statpadding against Elche and Huesca, Suarez is a finished player. He can barely run anymore
Dzeko is as finished as Suarez
Icardi is a terrible footballer and wouldn't suit Ronaldo at all
Kane and Haaland are unrealistic

Morata is the best we can do right now
edinson-cavani-man-united-v-crystal-palace-premier-league-2021.jpg

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
What I love about Morata is that even when he plays shit, one has a feeling that he can still score out of nowhere. He is kinda Inzaghi/Trezeguet-like in this sense.
Agree...in addition, players like trezeguet scored a lot, but if he had an off day often it was like playing with 10 men because he didn't add anything else but scoring goals (note he scored so much that it wasn't an issue). But morata assists, and does a lot more on field...obviously doesn't score as much trezeguet but you get what I mean.

GrandeGigi

Sep 18, 2012
Still unable to keep his head up, often falls over under the slightest contact, goes through barren patches with confidence through the floor. Sadly he doesn’t seem to have evolved at all since his first spell here and has hit his ceiling.
There are a real death of good centre forwards out there though, so it may still be the best we can do.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
Still unable to keep his head up, often falls over under the slightest contact, goes through barren patches with confidence through the floor. Sadly he doesn’t seem to have evolved at all since his first spell here and has hit his ceiling.
There are a real death of good centre forwards out there though, so it may still be the best we can do.
True number 9s are a rare breed now, Icardi amongst them even if he is hugely unpopular here but I think he has a better killer instinct in front of goal than morata.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 15)